Author Topic: Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read  (Read 820 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read

https://time.com/6205084/phonics-science-of-reading-teachers/

As a teacher in Oakland, Calif., Kareem Weaver helped struggling fourth- and fifth-grade kids learn to read by using a very structured, phonics-based reading curriculum called Open Court. It worked for the students, but not so much for the teachers. “For seven years in a row, Oakland was the fastest-gaining urban district in California for reading,” recalls Weaver. “And we hated it.”

The teachers felt like curriculum robots—and pushed back. “This seems dehumanizing, this is colonizing, this is the man telling us what to do,” says Weaver, describing their response to the approach. “So we fought tooth and nail as a teacher group to throw that out.” It was replaced in 2015 by a curriculum that emphasized rich literary experiences. “Those who wanted to fight for social justice, they figured that this new progressive way of teaching reading was the way,” he says.

Now Weaver is heading up a campaign to get his old school district to reinstate many of the methods that teachers resisted so strongly: specifically, systematic and consistent instruction in phonemic awareness and phonics. “In Oakland, when you have 19% of Black kids reading—that can’t be maintained in the society,” says Weaver, who received an early and vivid lesson in the value of literacy in 1984 after his cousin got out of prison and told him the other inmates stopped harassing him when they realized he could read their mail to them. “It has been an unmitigated disaster.” In January 2021, the local branch of the NAACP filed an administrative petition with the Oakland unified school district (OUSD) to ask it to include “explicit instruction for phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension” in its curriculum.
There are many schools of thought on how best to aid this process, but the main contretemps has been about whether kids need to be taught how to sound out words explicitly or whether, if you give them enough examples and time, they’ll figure out the patterns. The latter theory, sometimes known as whole language, says teaching phonics is boring and repetitive, and a large percentage of English words diverge from the rules. (Hello there, though, thought, through, trough and tough!) But if you immerse children in beautiful stories, they’ll be motivated to crack the code, to recognize each word. The counterargument is that reading is as connected to hearing as it is to sight. It begins, phonics advocates say, with speech. This understanding, and the data that supports it, has become known as the science of reading.

I'm no expert, but:

* I was taught to read with a heavy emphasis on phonics; it was "boring" because the teacher had to teach to the least quick to catch on, and I was among the quicker; as an adult, I believe that what the teacher did was correct;

* I was a homeschooling parent, 3 children, "grades" "K-12"; my wife did much more of the teaching than I did, but we taught our children to read using phonics and age-appropriate literature we knew they would enjoy.

IOW, I've been on both sides of the process. Sorry for the verbose background info.

This is not a new debate - phonics vs. "Whole Word" or "Whole Language" or euphemism-du-jour. It has been going on at least since Rudolph Flesch's 1955 book Why Johnny Can't Read. IOW, this debate has been going on for pretty much my entire lifetime, and public schools persist in using a method known to be inferior because it's "new" and the traditional method that works better is "boring" (to the teachers more so than to students, IMO).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 07:10:35 pm »
Language is structured.  Spelling, punctuation, phonics, and grammar are the building blocks of language structure.

A common language structure is necessary for effective communication and transfer of knowledge amongst individuals, groups, and generations.  Without it, civilization is not possible nor sustainable.

Was it boring?  Hell, yeah.  But my classmates and I dared not to challenge the Divine authority of the Sisters of Saint Joseph.  In the late 1970s and early 1980s we were still using grammar books from the 1950s.  Oh, the horror!

If the teachers are that bored, they can day drink while the kids do their written exercises.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 07:13:48 pm »
Phonics is how I learned, how our kids learned and how we helped teach our grandkids to learn to read...it works. What I never like was the use of phonics to teach kids to spell, my daughters early teachers taught spelling that way and it messed her up **nononono*

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 09:38:01 pm »
My dearly departed and I were the same age but raised in different parts of Texas.

I was taught phonetically he was taught by some crazy method of flashcards. (remember this word, blah, blah) I am a very good reader, him not so much. Actually, he was more intelligent than I. Great at "in his head" math. A memory that was awesome.

He was a plumber and I would read the code book to him every year. Then he would ask for a quiz...that he never failed. I would also read Lamoore books to him at night.

My point being in this boring post, it affected his self esteem. His lack of reading ability made him feel "less than".

So is this what these educated idjits are trying to accomplish? Just teach people to read! It's important.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 09:47:25 pm »
From the article:
"In Oakland, when you have 19% of black kids reading..."

Wait.
Stop right there.

Is this guy saying that 81% of black kids in Oakland public schools can't read...?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 09:59:55 pm »
My dearly departed and I were the same age but raised in different parts of Texas.

I was taught phonetically he was taught by some crazy method of flashcards. (remember this word, blah, blah) I am a very good reader, him not so much. Actually, he was more intelligent than I. Great at "in his head" math. A memory that was awesome.

He was a plumber and I would read the code book to him every year. Then he would ask for a quiz...that he never failed. I would also read Lamoore books to him at night.

My point being in this boring post, it affected his self esteem. His lack of reading ability made him feel "less than".

So is this what these educated idjits are trying to accomplish? Just teach people to read! It's important.

:thumbsup:

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 03:47:41 am »
Happily, all my children learned to read before they started attending government schools.  Using phonics, of course:  I made a "book of sounds" sort of like an alphabet book, but with examples of words with as many different spellings of each consonant and vowel sound as I and my wife could think of, with a picture for each as an aid. 

My daughter went further with my grandson, whom she intends to home school, with she and his father referring to letters not by their common names, but by the sound they most commonly represent.  He's been reading since he was about four, including the instructions for kits from Kiwi Co. (sentences like "Pull the elastic through the slot.")  At some point now that he's reading chapter books with her and children's story books on his own for fun, she'll teach him the conventional names for the letters.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 10:50:09 am »
From the article:
"In Oakland, when you have 19% of black kids reading..."

Wait.
Stop right there.

Is this guy saying that 81% of black kids in Oakland public schools can't read...?
That was my take, too.

How are they going to stay out of trouble if they can't read the rules?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 05:51:27 pm »
We used a confusingly organized book to teach phonics with our oldest and middlest. I work for the older, but we switched to https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985 with our middlest because he wasn't making the connection from individual letter sounds into blended-sound words. We also used it, more casually, with our younger daughter, just to let her feel she was doing school like her older siblings. In six months or less both were reading with confidence (as was their older sister). The one part of 100 Easy Lessons we did not do was the writing exercises, as it used markings over vowels that are not used in ordinary text.

Once our kids were reading with confidence, we turned them loose in the library every week or two and used a laundry basket to bring out and return their literary treasures. I also read aloud to them every night from books a bit beyond their reading abilities, just to whet their appetites. I think my youngest was 5 or 6 when I read Tolkien's trilogy to them.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 05:56:14 pm »
We used a confusingly organized book to teach phonics with our oldest and middlest. I work for the older, but we switched to https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985 with our middlest because he wasn't making the connection from individual letter sounds into blended-sound words. We also used it, more casually, with our younger daughter, just to let her feel she was doing school like her older siblings. In six months or less both were reading with confidence (as was their older sister). The one part of 100 Easy Lessons we did not do was the writing exercises, as it used markings over vowels that are not used in ordinary text.

Once our kids were reading with confidence, we turned them loose in the library every week or two and used a laundry basket to bring out and return their literary treasures. I also read aloud to them every night from books a bit beyond their reading abilities, just to whet their appetites. I think my youngest was 5 or 6 when I read Tolkien's trilogy to them.

That's the way to do it!