Author Topic: Murkowski advances in Alaska Senate race  (Read 806 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Murkowski advances in Alaska Senate race
« on: August 17, 2022, 01:45:25 pm »
 Murkowski advances in Alaska Senate race
by Julia Manchester - 08/17/22 1:43 AM ET

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) was projected to advance from the state’s Republican Senate primary, setting her up to compete in November’s midterm general election.

The Associated Press made the call at 1:41 p.m. ET.

The incumbent senator was widely expected to advance from the all-party primary, in which the top four vote-getters advanced to the general election.

The primary was seen as a test for former President Trump’s endorsement. Trump backed Kelly Tshibaka in the race following Murkowski’s vote to convict him in his second impeachment trial.

Tshibaka was also projected to advance early Wednesday morning.

However, Murkowski is expected to perform better in the general election, where she will be able to glean more support from voters outside of the GOP, including Democrats and independents.

November’s general election will be a ranked-choice election, where a candidate needs more than 50 percent of the vote to be declared the winner outright.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3604406-murkowski-advances-in-alaska-senate-race/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Murkowski advances in Alaska Senate race
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 07:00:22 pm »
Not much of a surprise.  She was pretty much guaranteed a spot in November with the crazy new-fangled way they vote there now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 08:22:27 pm »
This was close, and she did not get a majority.  November will be determined by the ranked-choice tabulation, which may not work to her benefit.  This is one RINO who needs to vamoose. 

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 08:32:20 pm »
Not much of a surprise.  She was pretty much guaranteed a spot in November with the crazy new-fangled way they vote there now.

To be honest, I prefer it to late runoff elections.  The senate runoffs can be flipped by outsiders ... we saw that in Georgia. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 08:58:43 pm »
To be honest, I prefer it to late runoff elections.  The senate runoffs can be flipped by outsiders ... we saw that in Georgia.

Most states don't require a majority (50% +1), a plurality is sufficient.  Run-offs are just stupid anyway.  Whiny Democrats want the majority rule because they get a second bite at the apple.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 10:20:37 pm »
Cyber wrote:
"Most states don't require a majority (50% +1), a plurality is sufficient.  Run-offs are just stupid anyway."

I disagree.

I proffer that no election for any office at any level, anywhere in the country be "won" unless the "winner" receives at least 50% +1 of the popular vote.

In fact, I advocate that this become part of a "re-Constituted" Constitution, with language to this effect:
========
This Constitution prescribes that only citizens may vote in all elections conducted within the United States. This includes elections for federal offices of The United States, elections for State offices in the Several States, and all municipal and local elections conducted within the borders of The United States.

Elections will be conducted only on Election Day as prescribed by this Constitution.

All ballots in all elections will be paper ballots cast by individual voters at their respective polling locations. Electronic means may be used to tabulate vote counts at the local level.

Provisional ballots of any kind are prohibited by this Constitution.

Ranked Choice Voting of any kind is prohibited by this Constitution.

An election shall not be considered to be won unless the winning candidate receives a majority of the votes cast. If no candidate receives a majority, a runoff election must be held within 35 days to determine the winner.

The use of the United States Mail shall not be permitted for the collection of ballots, with the exception of absentee ballots.

There shall be no use of absentee ballots without the presentation of individual need, subject to strict scrutiny by the registrar of voters.

All citizens of the United States will be required to produce identification before voting.

All citizens of the United States are required to register to vote at least six months in advance of election day. All citizens requesting registration will be properly vetted by the registrar of voters.

========

It's time to repair the oversights and omissions of the Founders (who simply could not have foreseen how the weaknesses in their document would be exploited by enemies two centuries later).

I realize that's not the consensus here.
But what we have now ... is no longer sufficient.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 10:33:48 pm »
This was close, and she did not get a majority.  November will be determined by the ranked-choice tabulation, which may not work to her benefit.  This is one RINO who needs to vamoose.

888high58888 :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 12:21:29 am »
Cyber wrote:
"Most states don't require a majority (50% +1), a plurality is sufficient.  Run-offs are just stupid anyway."

I disagree.

I proffer that no election for any office at any level, anywhere in the country be "won" unless the "winner" receives at least 50% +1 of the popular vote.

In fact, I advocate that this become part of a "re-Constituted" Constitution, with language to this effect:
========
This Constitution prescribes that only citizens may vote in all elections conducted within the United States. This includes elections for federal offices of The United States, elections for State offices in the Several States, and all municipal and local elections conducted within the borders of The United States.

Elections will be conducted only on Election Day as prescribed by this Constitution.

All ballots in all elections will be paper ballots cast by individual voters at their respective polling locations. Electronic means may be used to tabulate vote counts at the local level.

An election shall not be considered to be won unless the winning candidate receives a majority of the votes cast. If no candidate receives a majority, a runoff election must be held within 35 days to determine the winner.

The use of the United States Mail shall not be permitted for the collection of ballots, with the exception of absentee ballots.

There shall be no use of absentee ballots without the presentation of individual need, subject to strict scrutiny by the registrar of voters.

All citizens of the United States will be required to produce identification before voting.

All citizens of the United States are required to register to vote at least six months in advance of election day. All citizens requesting registration will be properly vetted by the registrar of voters.

========

It's time to repair the oversights and omissions of the Founders (who simply could not have foreseen how the weaknesses in their document would be exploited by enemies two centuries later).

You are assuming normal, fair elections.   **nononono*

More Iterations + More Opportunity to Cheat.  Ask GA how that works.
I will NOT comply.

Online rustynail

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 12:29:25 am »
Cyber wrote:

I disagree.

========

========

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8gTIr4lys

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 04:25:43 am »
The Alaska 'top 4' rule is stupid.  It was put in place to help Democrats get elected.  This November, there will be only one D3m on the ballot while the GOP vote gets split.  There's nothing wrong with Georgia's law.  It favors the Party in the majority which is the GOP.  And if the remaining Georgia election laws were followed, we would have a 52-48 majority in the Senate right now plus an extra House seat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-