Author Topic: Defense innovation stymied as gridlock in Congress bars emerging tech  (Read 196 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Defense innovation stymied as gridlock in Congress bars emerging tech
By Catherine Buchaniec
 Aug 16, 01:47 PM

WASHINGTON — With a little over six weeks in the government’s fiscal year, Congress faces the uphill battle of passing a defense appropriations bill and avoiding a continuing resolution.

CRs keep funding at the previous year’s levels with limited exceptions. A divided Congress has frequently relied on the practice in recent years to evade a government shutdown while lawmakers negotiate appropriations for the next fiscal year, and it’s increasingly likely that a CR will be required for fiscal 2023, the law firm Alston & Bird said in a note to clients on July 26.

While a CR keeps the lights on, its impacts can be detrimental to the Pentagon’s efforts to keep pace with rival nations in emerging technologies. Because funding is fixed at the previous year’s level, CRs delay the start of new programs and contracts, many of which fall under the sphere of defense tech.

https://hub.defensenews.com/whitepapers/improving-military-rotorcraft/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:03:07 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Defense innovation stymied as gridlock in Congress bars emerging tech
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 12:05:15 pm »
Take your time little boys and girls in congress.  There is absolutely no rush for innovation in our modern woke military! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson