Author Topic: Stricter social media rules for DoD officials aim to prevent snafus  (Read 143 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Stricter social media rules for DoD officials aim to prevent snafus
By Meghann Myers
 Aug 16, 03:17 PM

For the first time ever, the Defense Department has put out social media guidance governing its widespread official accounts, as platforms like Twitter and Facebook are increasingly used to send out messages for both service members and the general public.

At the same time, some mishandling of accounts ― whether that was accidental use or inappropriate posting on an account affiliated with a command ― has gotten the services and DoD in hot water.

The new policy, released Monday, discourages military public affairs personnel from editorializing official social media posts. And even though it’s been common practice in the past, the new policy lets all spokespeople know that simply throwing “views do not reflect DoD” in a private account bio is not enough.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2022/08/16/stricter-social-media-rules-for-dod-officials-aim-to-prevent-snafus/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson