Author Topic: Climate Expert: What The Media Won’t Tell You About Droughts  (Read 416 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY ROGER PIELKE JR ON AUG 16, 2022. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Climate Expert: What The Media Won’t Tell You About Droughts

Europe is in the midst of what has been called the worst drought in 500 years. According to a drought expert with the European Commission in comments last week [bold, links added]:

“We haven’t analysed fully the event (this year’s drought), because it is still ongoing, but based on my experience I think that this is perhaps even more extreme than 2018. Just to give you an idea the 2018 drought was so extreme that, looking back at least the last 500 years, there were no other events similar to the drought of 2018, but this year I think it is really worse than 2018.

”While a full analysis of the ongoing 2022 European drought remains to be completed, so too the drought itself, which is clearly exceptional if not unprecedented. In this post, I take a close look at the state of understanding of the possible role of climate change in this year’s drought.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/climate-expert-what-the-media-wont-tell-you-about-droughts/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Climate Expert: What The Media Won’t Tell You About Droughts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 02:06:28 pm »
Droughts happen, that's why they build reservoirs and grain silos.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 02:08:45 pm »
Extrapolation of one or two years of data into a 500 year statistical analysis is joke.

There is a huge meteorological difference in climate vs. weather.

Did any of these idiots take STAT 201?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 02:41:19 pm »
We in New England are experiencing a drought at the moment.

The reason? There have been virtually no tropical storms or hurricanes in the Atlantic basin, all season long. 

This, in spite of the fact that NOAA and NWS have repeatedly and hysterically predicted an "above normal" hurricane season.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 02:53:31 pm »
We in New England are experiencing a drought at the moment.

The reason? There have been virtually no tropical storms or hurricanes in the Atlantic basin, all season long. 

This, in spite of the fact that NOAA and NWS have repeatedly and hysterically predicted an "above normal" hurricane season.

Amazing season so far.   August 16th, and we are only through the "C" storm.  But don't get your guard down.  From my experience this season has a "1980 feel" to it.  Like in 1980, when the season started it started with a bang, with one of the biggest monster storms in history.  The "A" storm Allen didn't hit the U.S. until Aug 8, as a 190 mph Cat 5.  What happens when you have an absense of storm activity, the latent heat in the Carribean and Gulf becomes a boiling caldron for the potential of monster storms.

In the grand scheme 1980 was a light year for storms, but tell that to the people who lived on about a 200 mile stretch of the central Texas coast.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 02:58:31 pm »
Eastern New England is experiencing an extreme drought, this year.

Last year, Boston rainfall was 12 inches above average.

These weather extremes could be caused by astro-physics of Earth's rotation and solar orbit; Earth's volcanism, or lack thereof; el nino/la nina; God's wrath; cow farts; internal combustion engines; or anything else.

What gets lost in the Green Communist Global Climate Change nonsense, is that we need to direct resources towards climate resiliency.  Government should be planning, and building, new reservoirs, desalinzation plants, and other water infrastructure to accomodate population and economic growth.

I don't know what's causing this year's weather / climate, but I do know that we need to heed the lesson of Joseph in the Bible - there will be times of surplus and times of deprivation - we need to plan accordingly.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright