Author Topic: 'You hit one for Uvalde': Bregman delivers special HR  (Read 882 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
'You hit one for Uvalde': Bregman delivers special HR
« on: August 15, 2022, 10:33:59 pm »
https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-host-uvalde-victims-at-minute-maid-park

'Anything we can do for them': Astros honor Tess Mata, community to aid healing process

HOUSTON -- “Hey, you hit one for Uvalde.”

That was the message from Astros manager Dusty Baker to Alex Bregman when the third baseman returned to the dugout after hitting a two-run homer in Houston’s 6-3 win over the Athletics on Sunday afternoon at Minute Maid Park. Bregman’s first-inning long ball came just hours after a young girl from Uvalde had requested a home run during a pregame meet-and-greet with Bregman, Jose Altuve, Lance McCullers Jr. and Houston owner Jim Crane.

“It was really cool,” Bregman said. “Anything we can do for them.”

Faith Mata, whose younger sister, Tess, was one of 19 schoolchildren who lost their lives along with two teachers in the May 24 school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, threw out the ceremonial first pitch prior to the game. Mata clutched a picture of Tess close to her chest and smiled from ear to ear while trying to convey just how much she loved Altuve.

“Any time the Astros' games were on, she’d throw on her [Astros] T-shirt and just run into the living room and just cheer for them, even though she didn’t know what was going on,” Mata, 21, said. “She just loved Altuve.”

More at link.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: 'You hit one for Uvalde': Bregman delivers special HR
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 03:59:21 am »
This is why I really dislike all the divisions on this board. I'm just now seeing this days after it took place. I might have swung by to see if there was anything on the baseball thread, and, seeing nothing, I would have assumed no one was interested in it. Or if it was on a board that included all subjects, I could have found it and culled out the other titles I wasn't interested in. And perhaps seen other things of interest that I won't ever see because they're under a different heading. I mostly stay lost on this board. I used to experience FOMO, but now I just write it off and swing by every so often in case something catches my attention.  :shrug:

Anyway, it was bittersweet to see the Uvalde folks at the game that night. I know they have to get on with life, but the sickening tragedy that happened there is going to take years and years to come to terms with. As a Texan, I'm still in disbelief that law enforcement IN TEXAS was so ineffective.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 01:31:32 pm »
Its not that we have too many Categories, Boards and Chapters. Its because we don't have "Keywords".

But a Texan really ought to get over to the Texas Chapter more often.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 05:28:09 pm »
Its not that we have too many Categories, Boards and Chapters. Its because we don't have "Keywords".

But a Texan really ought to get over to the Texas Chapter more often.

@Elderberry

I'm not exactly sure how having "keywords" would make getting around on the board any less onerous. In certain instances it might be helpful, but on the whole, I don't think so. It's okay, though. This board is not that friendly to a newcomer. The cliques have already been established, and when you're not a good fit for those cliques, no amount of effort to make friends will change that. Once you realize that and learn to operate within those realistic parameters, life gets simpler. Now I swing by at times, glean a little knowledge or info on a good day, waste my time on a bad one, then move on. For those of you who are comfortably settled in, I'm happy for you.

God bless Texas. And the Houston Astros. Going to get ready to watch the game now and hope we can prevent an embarrassing sweep at the Juice Box.  **nononono*

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.