Author Topic: Watch how the A-10 Warthog’s seven-barrel autocannon works  (Read 161 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Watch how the A-10 Warthog’s seven-barrel autocannon works
« on: August 14, 2022, 04:27:10 pm »
 Watch how the A-10 Warthog’s seven-barrel autocannon works

Harold C. Hutchison - 2h ago

When you are talking about the Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II, affectionately known as the Warthog, it is without a doubt, the best close-air support plane ever devised. One of the biggest reasons is in the plane’s nose.

Yeah, we’re talking the GAU-8, a seven-barrel Gatling gun that fires a 30mm round made from depleted uranium. This gun was designed to kill tanks – make them deader than the zombies on The Walking Dead. You might think a 30mm gun is too small to kill a tank. If you’re taking the tank head-on, it is.

Shooting from above the tank, though, you’re aiming for where the armor is the thinnest. This is because the crew needs to be able to exit the tank through the hatches, which means they have to be able to open them. Oh, and the supplies the tank’s crew needs to function (food, water, ammo) have to come into the tank through those hatches as well.

The A-10 looks as if it was designed around the GAU-8. That’s true. The plane can carry 1,174 rounds for this gun, which fires at 3,900 to 4,200 rounds per minute. That’s anywhere from 16.77 to 18 seconds of firing time. The gun can kill a target up to two and a quarter miles away.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/watch-how-the-a-10-warthog-s-seven-barrel-autocannon-works/ar-AA10Efj1?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e260fb72c96d4b029ac426db1caea3a1
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 04:28:45 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson