Author Topic: Europe’s Coming Big Freeze  (Read 481 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Europe’s Coming Big Freeze
« on: August 14, 2022, 03:41:47 pm »
Europe’s Coming Big Freeze
Continent leaders preparing for winter rationing, shutdown of industries. Viktor Orban warned them

Rod Dreher
Aug 10, 2022
9:43 PM
David Wallace-Wells writes in the NYT that "Europe's energy crisis may get a lot worse." Excerpts:

I don’t think many Americans appreciate just how tense and tenuous, how very touch and go the energy situation in Europe is right now.

For months, as news of the Ukraine war receded a bit, it was possible to follow the energy story unfolding across the Atlantic and still assume an uncomfortable but familiar-enough winter in Europe, characterized primarily by high prices.

In recent weeks, the prospects have begun to look darker. In early August the European Union approved a request that member states reduce gas consumption by 15 percent — quite a large request and one that several initially balked at. In Spain, facing record-breaking heat wave after record-breaking heat wave at the height of the country’s tourist season, the government announced restrictions on commercial air-conditioning, which may not be set below 27 degrees Celsius, or about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. In France, an Associated Press article said, “urban guerrillas” are taking to the streets, shutting off storefront lights to reduce energy consumption. In the Netherlands a campaign called Flip the Switch is asking residents to limit showers to five minutes and to drop air-conditioning and clothes dryers entirely. Belgium has reversed plans to retire nuclear power plants, and Germany, having ruled out the possibility of such a turnabout in June, is now considering it as well.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/europes-coming-big-freeze/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Europe’s Coming Big Freeze
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 09:37:59 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 09:01:33 am »
Turn the nukes back on!!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 03:26:04 pm »
People will die and poverty will rise

But they will joy in knowing  they’re doing their part, their sacrifice, for mother Earth
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 07:34:27 pm »
People will die and poverty will rise

But they will joy in knowing  they’re doing their part, their sacrifice, for mother Earth
If it gets bad enough people might start tossing Greens on the fire, then they really could do their part for the German people.