Author Topic: Sen. Warren wants to expand IRS powers beyond the Inflation Reduction Act to prepare tax returns  (Read 324 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
54 mins ago
Sen. Warren wants to expand IRS powers beyond the Inflation Reduction Act to prepare tax returns
Giving the IRS the ability to prepare individual tax returns is a controversial idea

By Fred Lucas FOXBusiness

Tucked into the tax and spending bill that passed the Senate this weekend was a $15 million provision to study allowing the IRS to prepare taxes.

The provision comes after Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., and other Democrats have pushed legislation for adding tax filing to the agency's purview.

The Inflation Reduction Act, which passed the House Friday after clearing the Senate — the vote was 50-50 with Vice President Kamala Harris breaking the tie — appropriates almost $80 billion to the tax agency. That would enable the IRS to hire its desired 87,000 agents over the next decade to increase tax enforcement.

A small part of the funding includes $15 million dedicated to fund a task force to study the cost and feasibility of creating a free direct e-file program, which has been a controversial idea.

Warren wasn't planning to wait for a task force study and already filed a bill to develop a free, online tax preparation and filing service that allows all taxpayers to prepare and file their taxes directly with the federal government instead of through private tax preparers.
Elizabeth Warren

The Warren proposal would move more quickly to allow filers with simple tax situations to choose a "return-free option" that provides a pre-prepared tax return with an income tax liability or refund amount already calculated. Proponents also say it would reduce tax fraud by getting third-party income information to the IRS earlier in the tax season.

Warren’s bill has 22 Senate Democrat co-sponsors. Representatives Brad Sherman and Katie Porter, both California Democrats, are the lead sponsors of the House version.

"The average American spends 13 hours and $240 every year to file their taxes — that's too much time and too much money," Warren said in July, before Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., announced his agreement on the reconciliation package.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/sen-warren-wants-expand-irs-powers-beyond-inflation-reduction-act-prepare-tax-returns
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

What a bunch of crappola.  The average American spends 13 hours to do their taxes?  Where are they coming up with that data?? A couple of hours tops. With using Turbo Tax and importing data from our brokerage account and bank it takes me less than 2 hours to gather all the information needed and input it in to the program.

I think that the average American doesn't have such a complicated tax return that it would take them thirteen hours to complete. 

I don't want the IRS handling my tax return other than giving us a refund if it is due!!

I filed our taxes in March and we received our measly refund a week ago.  I refuse to have the IRS direct deposit into our bank account.  They had to take the time to issue us a paper check.  The time it took is ridiculous.

86,000 agents aren't needed as well. I'm not buying that they are only going to target those that make $400,000 and above.  They are going to target everyone and it will be a political witch hunt.  We make well below that $400,000 threshold and we've been audited 3 times.

ABOLISH THE IRS!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

So, exactly how is an additional 87,000 IRS goons gonna lesson the amount of time/effort we spend on taxes?
There are at least a dozen e-file systems out there already so help me understand who your gonna bribe with my $15 million?
Damn crooks..

Online cato potatoe

Sweden does something like this, but they have barely any deductions or credits. 

I don't think you want Joe Biden's IRS calculating your taxable income.

Offline libertybele

So, exactly how is an additional 87,000 IRS goons gonna lesson the amount of time/effort we spend on taxes?
There are at least a dozen e-file systems out there already so help me understand who your gonna bribe with my $15 million?
Damn crooks..

The Gestapo is well under way.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

Elizabeth Warren is a straight up ivory tower fascist.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

Sweden does something like this, but they have barely any deductions or credits. 

I have read and I contend that the IRS is nothing more than a private collection agency who is contracted by the US Treasury department. They have no Legal Statute authorization.

By Joe & Company authorizing 86,000 weaponized agents, they are forming an army against the people.

Offline LMAO

Oh hell no
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy