State Chapters > NY/NJ

Polio is ‘likely’ present and spreading in NYC, health officials warn

(1/4) > >>

Kamaji:
Polio is ‘likely’ present and spreading in NYC, health officials warn

By Zach Williams
August 12, 2022

Health officials say the poliovirus is “likely” spreading in the five boroughs after traces were found in city wastewater.

“The risk to New Yorkers is real but the defense is so simple – get vaccinated against polio,” said New York City Health Commissioner Dr. Ashwin Vasan said in a press release Friday.

The virus has also been detected in Orange and Rockland counties north of New York City in recent weeks.

A Rockland man, who was unvaccinated, experienced paralysis after catching the first known case of the disease in the United States since 2013.

“For every one case of paralytic polio identified, hundreds more may be undetected,” state Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett said in the press release.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/health-officials-say-polio-likely-present-in-nyc/

PeteS in CA:

--- Quote ---“For every one case of paralytic polio identified, hundreds more may be undetected,” state Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett said in the press release.
--- End quote ---

Several thousand paralyzed people in NY are "undetected"? Why do I find that statement dubious?

There is a chasm between people becoming infected with the weakened non-paralyzing virus used in vaccines used outside of the US and vast numbers of people being paralyzed. Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett appears to be trying to bridge that chasm with panic-mongering hype.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: PeteS in CA on August 12, 2022, 04:52:53 pm ---Several thousand paralyzed people in NY are "undetected"? Why do I find that statement dubious?

There is a chasm between people becoming infected with the weakened non-paralyzing virus used in vaccines used outside of the US and vast numbers of people being paralyzed. Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett appears to be trying to bridge that chasm with panic-mongering hype.

--- End quote ---

I doubt the reference was intended to mean there are thousands of people becoming paralyzed without anyone noticing, but rather that there were thousands of cases of infection with the polio virus that do not lead to obvious paralysis, but which might still result in the infection being spread around.

Hoodat:

--- Quote from: PeteS in CA on August 12, 2022, 04:52:53 pm ---Several thousand paralyzed people in NY are "undetected"? Why do I find that statement dubious?

--- End quote ---

The point is that polio infection does not necessarily mean paralysis.  For every 600 or so infections, one may result in paralysis.  People may be infected with polio, but not realize that it is polio.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: Hoodat on August 12, 2022, 05:17:38 pm ---The point is that polio infection does not necessarily mean paralysis.  For every 600 or so infections, one may result in paralysis.  People may be infected with polio, but not realize that it is polio.

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version