Author Topic: Jobless claims highest in eight months amid recession fears  (Read 432 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jobless claims highest in eight months amid recession fears
« on: August 11, 2022, 01:33:35 pm »
Jobless claims highest in eight months amid recession fears
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter |
 | August 11, 2022 08:31 AM

The number of new applications for unemployment benefits increased by 14,000 last week to 262,000, the highest level in months.

The news bolsters fear the economy is nearing or has already tumbled into a recession. Rising jobless claims, a proxy for layoffs, are a sign that the labor market may be facing some turbulence, although the figures are still low by historical standards.

Around this time in August 2021, new claims were averaging over 400,000 per week. The number of jobless claims bottomed out at 166,000, tallied in mid-March, the lowest figure since 1968.

While the number of jobless claims isn’t anywhere near where it was during most of the pandemic, it has trended upward in recent weeks.

A counterbalance to the argument that the economy is in a recession, though, is that the economy is adding jobs in huge numbers and the unemployment rate is low. The economy added 528,000 jobs in July. The unemployment rate, which is taken from a different data source and a different report than Thursday's jobless claims numbers, also unexpectedly fell to 3.5%, matching the ultralow level it was at prior to the pandemic.

Still, rising jobless claims could be a clue that the tight labor market may be slowing in response to the Federal Reserve aggressively jacking up interest rates. Driving up interest rates naturally slows demand and can result in recessionary conditions.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/jobless-claims-highest-in-eight-months-amid-recession-fears
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Jobless claims highest in eight months amid recession fears
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 04:49:58 pm »
Pedo Joe touts Zero inflation while the Jobs market craters......

This is historical incompetence.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

Re: Jobless claims highest in eight months amid recession fears
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 12:12:35 pm »
Pedo Joe touts Zero inflation while the Jobs market craters......

This is historical incompetence.

While they tell us we are not in a recession simply because they changed the definition
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy