Author Topic: FCC denies SpaceX bid for nearly $1 billion in rural broadband subsidies for Starlink  (Read 1255 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNBC by Michael Sheetz 8/10/2022

FCC denies SpaceX bid for nearly $1 billion in rural broadband subsidies for Starlink

Key Points

•   The Federal Communications Commission on Wednesday denied SpaceX’s bid for nearly $1 billion in subsidies to support rural broadband customers through the company’s Starlink satellite internet network.

•   In a press release, the FCC said two companies, Starlink and LTD Broadband, “failed to demonstrate that the providers could deliver the promised service” needed to receive the subsidies.

The Federal Communications Commission on Wednesday denied SpaceX’s bid for nearly $1 billion in subsidies to support rural broadband customers through the company’s Starlink satellite internet network.

SpaceX, which is controlled by Elon Musk, had been awarded $885.5 million in the FCC’s $9.2 billion auction in December 2020 under the regulator’s Rural Digital Opportunities Fund. The company sought funding to provide satellite internet service to nearly 650,000 locations in 35 states, the FCC noted.

The FCC subsidies are designed to be an incentive for broadband providers to bring service to the “unserved” and hard-to-reach areas of the United States.

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/10/fcc-denies-spacex-bid-for-nearly-1-billion-in-broadband-subsidies-for-starlink.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, how long will those unserved areas remain unserved? I know folks 50 miles from the Mall in DC who can't get decent enough bandwidth to stream or see YouTube videos...

Or is this just another poke at flyover country.

FJB, and his little dogs, too!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

So, how long will those unserved areas remain unserved? I know folks 50 miles from the Mall in DC who can't get decent enough bandwidth to stream or see YouTube videos...

Or is this just another poke at flyover country.

FJB, and his little dogs, too!

Ol Eli ain't no patron saint neither... Prices are going up. Expect caps and throttling coming soon.