Author Topic: Navy Drops Air Force’s Mission From Its Next ‘Doomsday Plane’  (Read 86 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Drops Air Force’s Mission From Its Next ‘Doomsday Plane’
Story by Thomas Newdick • Tuesday

Industry officials have confirmed that the future E-XX aircraft, which will provide airborne strategic command and control support for America’s ballistic missile submarines, will not also have the ability to maintain communications with the Air Force’s intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) and bomber units.

While we knew that the C-130J-based aircraft — which will replace the current fleet of Navy E-6B Mercury ‘Doomsday Planes’ — would initially perform only the TACAMO, or Take Charge And Move Out ballistic submarine communications mission, the latest development indicates that the new Hercules-based platform will be limited to this function long-term, too. This leaves major questions about the future of the Air Force’s needs for a survivable airborne communications and command post aircraft to fulfill the ‘Looking Glass’ ICBM communications role. Currently the E-6Bs provide both capabilities and a secondary emergency command post and communications role for domestic contingencies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/navy-drops-air-force-s-mission-from-its-next-doomsday-plane/ar-AA19tnJQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=34054f423ea3430194a876f579cb13db&ei=20
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson