Author Topic: Renaming Army bases named after Confederate leaders to cost $21M  (Read 404 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Renaming Army bases named after Confederate leaders to cost $21M
by Ellen Mitchell - 08/10/22 4:26 PM ET

Giving new titles to nine Army bases named after Confederate generals will cost a little more than $21 million, according to estimates from the commission in charge of overseeing the process.

The sum, first reported by Politico, is laid out in the first part of the Naming Commission’s final report to Congress, submitted Monday.

The document includes the costs to scrub the names of all nine installations, as well as changing or removing any other Confederate-affiliated symbols, displays, monuments or paraphernalia found on the bases. 

The costs to change the names on each installation varies, with Fort Bragg, N.C., the largest U.S. military base, estimated to cost the most at $6.3 million, followed by Fort Benning, Ga., at $4.9 million and Fort Lee, Va., at $2.4 million.

Fort Pickett, Va., will cost the least to rename, at nearly $323,000.

In May, the Naming Commission put forward new titles for Fort Bragg, Fort Benning, Fort Lee, Fort Pickett, Fort A.P. Hill, Va., Fort Gordon, Ga., Fort Hood, Texas, Fort Polk, La., and Fort Rucker, Ala.

All would be renamed for those with ties to the Army’s nearly 250-year history, with the exception of Fort Bragg, which would be changed to Fort Liberty. 

The recommended names do not go into effect until approved by Congress and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin. 

A final report from the commission, set up by Congress in last year’s defense bill, is due to lawmakers by Oct. 1, with the bases to be renamed by 2023. 

https://thehill.com/policy/3596192-renaming-army-bases-named-after-confederate-leaders-to-cost-21m/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Renaming Army bases named after Confederate leaders to cost $21M
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 12:05:21 am »
Every letterhead, business card, envelope, etc. will have to be changed along with the signs... *****rollingeyes*****
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 12:47:07 pm »
UPDATE
The cost to rename 9 Confederacy-honoring Army bases has doubled
By Karen Jowers
 Mar 24, 02:29 PM

The cost of renaming the nine Army bases that honored the Confederacy has nearly doubled, an Army official told lawmakers Thursday.

The Army expects to pay $39 million, said Lt. Gen. Kevin Vereen, Army deputy chief of staff for installations. In 2022, the congressionally-mandated Naming Commission estimated it would cost $21 million to rename the nine Army installations.

The Defense Department initially gave the Army $1 million to change the names, but “that’s not anywhere close to what we need,” Vereen told members of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies.  ... Military Times
Virtue-signaling doesn't come cheap, you know.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 01:04:21 pm »
Well,it is important to the globalists to try to remove all possible memory  of people that were willing to put  their lives on the line to stand up to "The Borg",which was the yankee bankers back then,and oddly  enough,is STILL the yankee bankers of today.

Same critter,different generation.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 02:49:07 pm »
Military bases removing traces of Confederate history spend $62.5 million in process
Military bases removing traces of Confederate history spend $62.5 million in process
FEATUREDWIB HISTORY March 24, 2023 Staff Writer 0

Faimon Roberts
The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate
(TNS)

In addition to the Louisiana National Guards’ Camp Beauregard, nine U.S. Army bases around the South will be renamed as part of the Pentagon’s efforts to move away from names linked to Confederate soldiers or victories.

Each of the nine bases’ new names has been chosen, with redesignation ceremonies scheduled to happen later this year. Dates for the Fort Polk redesignation have not yet been set, according to a spokeswoman.

Here are the bases slated to be renamed:

— Fort Polk will become Fort Johnson, named for Army Sgt. William Henry Johnson, a member of the famous Harlem Hellfighters who served in World War I under French Army Command. Johnson was awarded the Medal of Honor in 2015 of his valor in the Argonne Forest, where he fought off a German raid, being wounded 21 times in the process. He passed away in 1929.

https://warisboring.com/military-bases-removing-traces-of-confederate-history-spend-62-5-million-in-process/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 02:50:56 pm »
That sure is wise spending while the US tries to finance Ukraine vs. Russia and Taiwan vs. China. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 10:57:52 am »
At current prices (and I'd bet the DOD could get better) that's over 62.5 million rounds of small arms ammo that could have been bought.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Mod2

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 01:06:38 pm »
Threads merged.