Author Topic: Cardin: If You Paid Your Taxes, ‘You Should Want’ to Have 87,000 More IRS Agents  (Read 2916 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cardin: If You Paid Your Taxes, ‘You Should Want’ to Have 87,000 More IRS Agents

Pam Key 7 Aug 2022

Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) said on this week’s “Fox News Sunday” broadcast that people who pay their taxes should not worry about the Democrats’ bill that ramps up enforcement at the IRS.

Partial transcript as follows:

HOST MIKE EMANUEL: The bill also includes $80 billion to ramp up enforcement at the IRS. Here is Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SEN. MITCH MCCONNELL (R-KY): American families don’t want tens of thousands more IRS agents. What they like are more border patrol and ICE agents.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

EMANUEL: I know you’re working hard at improving this very unpopular agency, but, Senator, rich people have accountants and high-powered attorneys.

Do you worry that ramped up enforcement will only end up hurting middle and working-class Americans?

CARDIN: You’re right. I have worked with Republicans and Democrats to try to modernize the IRS.

Most Americans pay their taxes. Most Americans have their taxes taken out from their payroll and there’s never a question of their paying their fair share of taxes.

But for those that have complicated incomes, those who have high incomes, they’re the ones that are escaping. It’s been estimated that we have a $1 trillion leakage in tax collections every year. I think most Americans want a level playing field. They want to pay their taxes but they want everyone else paying their taxes. So I think this is a fair situation. The IRS desperately needs help and this bill gives them the help they need.

EMANUEL: Let me follow up there. Can you understand how 87,000 new IRS agents would scare the heck out of millions of Americans?

CARDIN: Well, millions of Americans aren’t going to be impacted by that other than getting better service from the IRS, having their telephone answered, getting the questions they need in order to comply with our tax laws. The auditing is going to be focused on those with high income, the large corporations, etc. So, there’s no reason to be fearful. And if you paid your taxes and if you comply with our laws, you should want to make sure everyone else does that.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/08/07/cardin-if-you-paid-your-taxes-you-should-want-to-have-87000-more-irs-agents/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Killer Clouds

Tax payers don't want to pay the salaries of 87,000 more gestapo agents.

Offline mountaineer

They won't be going after tax cheats. There will be more tax agents to go after political opponents.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

They won't be going after tax cheats. There will be more tax agents to go after political opponents.

Yep.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I pay my taxes meticulously.

I have gotten an IRS letter every year for the past 11 claiming I owe addtional tax.

10 of 11 of those years....   I was right, and they were wrong.

So I now get to deal with an addtional 87,000 F up's?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

Cardin has never been audited, and never will be.

Offline mountaineer

My brother went 10 years or so without filing a return. IRS did nothing. My mother's  accountant got him straightened out. Now he's  gone another 6 or 7 years without filing. Still no sign of the IRS. But of course, he's apolitical, so no one cares.

Offline cato potatoe

My brother went 10 years or so without filing a return. IRS did nothing. My mother's  accountant got him straightened out. Now he's  gone another 6 or 7 years without filing. Still no sign of the IRS. But of course, he's apolitical, so no one cares.

Is his income reported on 1099s?  The IRS has a huge backlog, but that could be changing soon.

Offline Kamaji

If he’s mainly W-2 income, he’s probably made some gifts to Uncle Sam he can’t get back.  The withholding system is intentionally designed to over withhold on W-2 income, to incentivize people to file returns.  That would also explain why he’s low on the priority list for examination. 

Offline Kamaji

If they put a significant number of these additional agents on the various phone systems, that would be a benefit.  Right now the IRS only answers about 11% of the calls it gets, and getting your call answered can require spending an hour or two on hold. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I pay my taxes meticulously.

I have gotten an IRS letter every year for the past 11 claiming I owe addtional tax.

10 of 11 of those years....   I was right, and they were wrong.

So I now get to deal with an addtional 87,000 F up's?

That's the real problem. You THINK you paid your taxes, till some IRS douchewheel comes along and says you didn't. Then you spend ridiculous money and time away from your life trying to defend yourself every flippin' year.

Republicans, conservatives and Trump supporters will get extra scrutiny of course.

The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

Is his income reported on 1099s?  The IRS has a huge backlog, but that could be changing soon.
He didn't report income when he worked (W-2s) and doesn't file returns now that he receives Social Security and investment income (1099).

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The only news about the IRS I want to hear is that its gone!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
He'd have a point, but I am not envious and I don't complain if anybody has more than I do.  I learned long ago that the only wealth I should pay attention to is my own.

Same for taxes.  I don't GAF about anybody's but my own.  No reason to complicate my life like that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

Benny Johnson 🍊
@bennyjohnson
1h
Did you know that the IRS only audits Americans who live in RED States?
Large swaths of the country are left untouched and unmolested by federal power — as long as they consistently deliver for the Democrat party.
See the east coast, upper Midwest, PA, New York & Illinois!?!?
That, and apparently the IRS has always gone after poor people who claim the Earned Income Credit.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
That, and apparently the IRS has always gone after poor people who claim the Earned Income Credit.

NE and Midwest are getting a free ride at the expense of mostly red southern states.

Nothing fishy about that.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DefiantMassRINO

No, I don't.

The IRS will chase the lowest hanging fruit to juice their daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly performance statistics to get bigger bonuses for the bosses.

In the end, it's a chase for more numbers.  It's easier, and quicker, to get more from people who don't have lawyers and accountants.

Chasing high net worth people and corporations down for alleged owed taxes can take years, thousand of hours, and millions of dollars.  In the meantime, the IRS supervisors need to show more immediate results to placate their bosses.  This is how jack-booted government thugs come to raid a shanty in Appalachia for the loose change in a child's piggy bank.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 02:50:20 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline andy58-in-nh

The only news about the IRS I want to hear is that its gone!
:yowsa:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
:yowsa:

I hate to be repetitive, but a simple flat tax could actually be configured to be a net increase abd positive for the fed's coffers......

But that would mean the congress and the federal government relinqusihing power.  We know the odds of that. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I hate to be repetitive, but a simple flat tax could actually be configured to be a net increase abd positive for the fed's coffers......

But that would mean the congress and the federal government relinqusihing power.  We know the odds of that.

A point of retail sale only national sales tax would not require the government to know so much as your name to collect its taxes.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
A point of retail sale only national sales tax would not require the government to know so much as your name to collect its taxes.

Yep, lots of ways to skin that cat.  But, most importantly the cat has to be skinned.

Offline libertybele

ABOLISH THE IRS!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yep, lots of ways to skin that cat.  But, most importantly the cat has to be skinned.

:yowsa: And I favor the most FREEDOM friendly way possible! The Fairtax!  HR25

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien