Author Topic: California's Drought Is an Infrastructure Problem  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Kamaji

California's Drought Is an Infrastructure Problem
« on: August 07, 2022, 03:46:17 pm »
California's Drought Is an Infrastructure Problem

California should build infrastructure, not shame water users.

STEVEN GREENHUT

After returning from a recent trip to the rainy Pacific Northwest, I opened the faucet and instead of hearing rushing water, I heard only the dreadful coughing sound one gets from empty pipes. Fortunately, my well hadn't gone dry, but some mechanical part in the pump had given out.

Still, few things are as frightening as running out of water. Our well was running in 24 hours, but that was a long day of using bottled water and rationing the use of toilets. It reminded me of the disaster that awaits if California can't fix its shortages before it rains again. By the way, it was creepy driving past Mt. Shasta and noticing its non-existent snowpack.

The state always has been plagued by alternating droughts and floods. "California summers were characterized by the coughing in the pipes that meant the well was dry, and California winters by all-night watches on rivers about to crest," wrote Joan Didion in her 1977 essay, "Holy Water." Living near California's last undammed river, I've spent long nights watching the Cosumnes overcome the aging levees.

Counterintuitive as it sounds, policymakers spend too much time worrying about how much water Californians use to run their households—and too little time figuring out how to bring more water into our system. The state hasn't built significant water infrastructure since Didion penned that essay—when the state had 17.6-million fewer residents.

Five years ago, Jerry Brown announced the official end of a grueling six-year drought. Other than passing resolutions to "make conservation a way of life," the former governor didn't do much to improve the situation. After rains resumed, interest waned in fixing our water supply issues.

These days, the Newsom administration and Legislature have done little more than engage in water shaming. They want to badger us into using less water, as the state imposes tougher water-use standards on water districts and some districts (especially in the Bay Area) embrace water rationing.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/08/05/californias-drought-is-an-infrastructure-problem/

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: California's Drought Is an Infrastructure Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 07:20:31 pm »
No, California’s drought is normal California climate. That California is susceptible to it is the infrastructure problem. For decades, majorities of Californians have voted for multiple water bond measures that supposedly would improve water supply, but the $$ gets diverted to enviros’ pet projects instead. I have for multiple election cycles refused to vote for water bonds because of this fraud.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 08:54:17 pm »
No, California’s drought is normal California climate. That California is susceptible to it is the infrastructure problem. For decades, majorities of Californians have voted for multiple water bond measures that supposedly would improve water supply, but the $$ gets diverted to enviros’ pet projects instead. I have for multiple election cycles refused to vote for water bonds because of this fraud.
On top of having a historical drought cycle, and as you point out the liberals and Gaia worshipers refusing to build more reservoirs and most recently a desalination plant(because the morons said it would contribute to sea level rise) the left has for decades encouraged more and more illegals to flock to California putting more strain on a limited resource with demands on it by multiple states. What could go wrong :shrug:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 09:19:43 pm »
I would never accuse Dems of understanding supply-and-demand and the consequences when demand outgrows supply,
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 10:27:58 pm »
What's California going to be like when it has 75 million people?
Or... 100 million?

It eventually WILL have that many -- and more -- if nothing is done to stop the illegal hordes of invaders from coming to America...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 03:46:26 am »
In the end, the only way forward for California is massive desalination plants in all their major cities... That would take all the weight off the water system and would leave all that water for rural purposes... Like farming and cattle that feed those cities.

Or remove population in a massive way.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 07:00:41 am »
California is busy removing dams "for the wildlife".

They deserve what they get.