Author Topic: Democratic senators vow to vote ‘no’ on all amendments to party’s climate, tax, health bill  (Read 822 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Democratic senators vow to vote ‘no’ on all amendments to party’s climate, tax, health bill
by Caroline Vakil - 08/06/22 3:20 PM ET

Several Democratic senators are saying they will vote “no” on any amendments introduced during a Senate vote-a-rama session in an effort to keep the party’s major climate, tax and health bill on course to pass.

“We have a deal to take the biggest climate action in U.S. history. Every Senate Dem has agreed to it. I can think of lots of ways to strengthen it, but I won’t derail this bill by supporting changes. I will vote NO on all amendments – even for stuff I like. Let’s finish the job,” Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) tweeted.

“I agree with Brian. I’ll be voting NO on all amendments — regardless of policy,” Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Calif.) said, quote-tweeting Schatz. “Let’s stay united and get this historic bill done.”

The Senate convened on Saturday around noon as the upper chamber prepares to take up a major piece of legislation for Democrats on climate, health and tax reform.

It comes more than a week after Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said they had reached a deal on a package including several Democratic priorities after Manchin had earlier suggested a deal could not be reached because of data showing inflation had risen more than 9 percent annually.

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), seen as the other key centrist in addition to Manchin that Democrats needed to win over for the bill, signaled on Friday she would support it after reaching her own deal with Schumer on aspects of the package.

Senate Democrats are using a process known as budget reconciliation that requires only a simple majority to pass the legislation. Democrats need all 50 of their members plus a tiebreaking vote from Vice President Harris to pass it.

But before it can be brought to the floor to be voted on, senators will have to endure a voting session where amendments can be introduced by senators to be added into the bill. The session could last for hours.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), the ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, said that “it’ll be like hell.”

Other Senate Democrats also said they would be voting against any amendments introduced, even if they agreed with them, in an effort to protect the package.

“We have much more to do to meet our climate and equity commitments, but after a yearlong fight, we have a deal that has 50 votes and makes historic investments. This weekend, I will vote accordingly to protect that deal, which means voting no on amendments, even ones I support,” Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) tweeted.

“I agree with Brian. I’ll vote NO on all amendments, even those I agree with. This bill makes historic progress on climate action and lowering prescription drug costs. It has 50 votes, and we need to stick together to keep it that way,” Sen. Tina Smith (D-Minn.) said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3591117-democratic-senators-vow-to-vote-no-on-all-amendments-to-partys-climate-tax-health-bill/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

It won't be the substance of amendments that will matter to the GOP.  It will be the length of time needed to read each one on the Senate floor.

Cue up Rand Paul with his Atlas Shrugged amendment.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

Any bets??  I'm betting that the usual suspects will cave.

Senate set to consider Democrats’ social spending and tax bill: LIVE UPDATES

Thune expects absent GOP senators to return for vote-a-rama, final vote

Senate Minority Whip John Thune said he expects all Republican senators to be present for the start of the Senate's vote-a-rama, despite several absences at votes earlier Saturday, Fox News' Kelly Phares reports.

"I think everybody's in various stages of getting here," Thune, R-S.D., said.

Republicans will likely need all, or nearly all, of their members present for a vote-a-rama if they hope to change the bill in any way.

Thune also said he hopes Sens. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., will vote against any amendment to wipe out changes made to the bill during a vote-a-rama. Such a provision is called a wrap-around amendment.

"I would hope they would if there is one, and if the bill would change in the amendment process, they have indicated -- Manchin's been publilc about this in the past that he won't vote for a wraparound amendment," Thune said.

Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., did not commit to voting for a wrap-around amendment, or against GOP amendments, when asked by Fox News Digital.............

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/senate-set-for-vote-a-rama-on-democrats-social-spending-and-tax-bill-live-updates
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

Thune expects absent GOP senators to return for vote-a-rama, final vote

Good grief, people.  It isn't the 'vote-a-rama' that matters.  It is the 'read-a-rama' that will kill this bill.  Of course that means that Republican Senators may have to work Fridays for the remainder of the year.  And this may be a price they are not willing to pay.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Killer Clouds

There's nothing democratic about DEMOCRATS.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems will need Vice President Harris to break tie on vote to start debate on social spending bill

Democrats will need Vice President Harris to break a 50-50 tie on a motion to start debate on their social spending and taxation bill, after all 50 Republicans voted in the negative Saturday afternoon.

It was not clear whether Harris would be needed for the vote to stat debate, called a motion to proceed, earlier Saturday. That's because many Republicans were absent.

But all 50 made it back to Washington, D.C., in time for the vote, meaning Democrats will need Harris to break a tie.
Posted by Tyler Olson
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

Sounds to me like the measure failed.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

Vote to move ahead with Dems' social spending bill passes, with VP Harris breaking tie

A vote to move ahead on Democrats' social spending and taxation bill passed Saturday evening, setting up floor debate followed by a marathon vote-a-rama, before a final vote on the legislation that's expected sometime Sunday.

The vote total was 51-50, with Vice President Harris breaking a tie.

It was not expected that Harris would be needed, because several Republicans were out of town and missed votes that happened earliler Saturday. But all of the GOP members made it back to town by the end of the Saturday evening vote.

The procedural vote shows that Democrats have all 50 of their members on board with the legislation. Barring any surprises in the vote-a-rama, or unexpected health issues, that means Democrats will be able to pass the bill, with Vice President Harris breaking any potential 50-50 ties.

The vote is also a victory for Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., who championed the legislation after announcing it last week.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Sounds to me like the measure failed.

Nope.  It freakin' passed.  Americans are screwed yet again!!  9999hair out0000

Online libertybele

Kelly Phares
@kellyfphares
.@VP
 leaving the Capitol after breaking tie to start debate on #IRA: “this legislation is long overdue and it's critically important. It's going to lower costs for Americans.”

« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:09:42 am by libertybele »

Offline Kamaji

Kelly Phares
@kellyfphares
.@VP
 leaving the Capitol after breaking tie to start debate on #IRA: “this legislation is long overdue and it's critically important. It's going to lower costs for Americans.”

Bald-faced lies