Author Topic: Republicans vow ‘hell’ for Democrats over economic bill  (Read 1191 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans vow ‘hell’ for Democrats over economic bill
« on: August 05, 2022, 05:16:36 pm »
 Republicans vow ‘hell’ for Democrats over economic bill
by Aris Folley - 08/05/22 12:39 PM ET

Republicans are sharpening their knives while the Senate prepares to hunker in for a long weekend as Democrats deploy a special process to pass the party’s sprawling health care, tax and climate plan without buy-in from across the aisle.

Republican leaders fumed over the Democratic effort at a press conference on Friday, one day before the Senate is prepared to begin consideration of the plan, while taking aim at Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), two key centrist holdouts, for backing the effort.

“So, what will vote-a-rama be like?” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C) told reporters on Friday, referring to the voting marathon senators are set to be subjected to in the next few days as part of the process Democrats are using to pass the bill. “It’d be like hell.”

“They deserve this. As much as I admire Joe Manchin and Sinema for standing up to the radical left at times, they’re empowering legislation that will make the average person’s life more difficult,” Graham said.

Graham, along with Sen. Roger Marshall (R-Kan.), also threatened not to vote for a critical funding measure ahead of a September deadline, when government funding is set to lapse, over the effort.

Democrats are using a complicated procedure known as budget reconciliation to try to pass the party’s Inflation Reduction Act, a massive package that would advance key pieces of President Biden’s legislative agenda.

The procedure, which Republicans used to pass former President Trump’s signature tax law in 2017, will allow Democrats to pass a bill in the 50-50 Senate with a simple majority, bypassing the usual 60-vote threshold.

But to pass the bill using the maneuver, Democrats have to jump through a series of hoops before they bring the bill to the floor for a vote. That includes what’s known as vote-a-rama — an often lengthy and messy voting marathon in which senators can offer a series of amendments for a chance to influence legislation before a final vote on the overall bill.

Republicans have been strategizing in recent days on how to make Democrats feel as much pain as possible during the coming voting session, promising to line up tough votes for the party that could be used as ammunition for the coming campaign season.

During the recent press conference, Sen. John Barrasso (Wyo.), a member of Republican leadership, said the GOP will be focusing specifically on areas like “energy, inflation, border and crime.”

Many Republicans have been keeping their cards close to the vest on what amendments they plan to bring up during the voting marathon.

Pressed by The Hill on Thursday about which ones he’ll offer, Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) declined to divulge, saying he wants “it to be a surprise.”

“My colleagues will all have plenty of time to read my amendments,” Kennedy said. “But I don’t believe in leading with my chin.”

Republicans have expressed hopes at attaching some of their amendments to the overall bill, despite their overwhelming opposition to the package, in the event it could make the legislation tougher to pass in the House.

Still, there is concern among GOP members around the chances Democrats will introduce a “wraparound” amendment, which could allow for erasure of all amendments adopted during the session.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3589703-republicans-vow-hell-for-democrats-this-weekend-over-economic-bill/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Republicans vow ‘hell’ for Democrats over economic bill
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 05:35:40 pm »
LMAO....

This is all on Turtle for allowing cloture to lapse.

Place the blame where it really resides.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 05:57:55 pm »
Add poison pill amendments ...

... greenlight keystone xl pipeline
... open more federal lands to energy and mineral development
... open more federal lands to the lumber industry
... introduce a reduction of the personal Federal tax rate
... sell the Statue of Liberty for the melt value of its copper
... change the official symbolic US bird from the bald eagle to the dodo bird
... have the US Mint issue a commerative Trump Silver Dollar
... introduce new electric vehicle standards and requirements that could never be achieved
... relinquish more Federal lands to states
... defund the Coroporation for Public Broadcasting
... defund the Endowment for the Arts
... defund Federally guaranteed student loans
... rename the Golden Gate Bridge the Ronald Wilson Reagan Golden Gate Bridge
... disallow use of Federal resources for any official itinerary that inlcudes a political fund raiser
... establish the William Jefferson Clinton Institute for the Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
... create a new FAA fee for non-medical and non-charitable private jet arrivals and departures
... mandate that Amtrak use coal-fired steam locomotives

Do Congressional Republicans have any creativity?
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 10:55:32 pm »
"Republicans vow ‘hell’ for Democrats over economic bill"

They "vow" hell.
They'll deliver "heck"...

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 12:05:46 am »
Elton John - I've Seen That Movie Too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMRmbWnsMMk
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 12:19:50 am »
   I'm rarely disappointed because I don't expect anything from these azzholes.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 04:57:59 am »
Holy immaculate WOKE globalist pc whores, putting on airs of respectabilities, why they betray the very people that put them in office.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 06:08:17 am »
Republicans have expressed hopes at attaching some of their amendments to the overall bill, despite their overwhelming opposition to the package, in the event it could make the legislation tougher to pass in the House.

This isn't going to happen, and Republicans know it.  Their only strategy (which is 100% guaranteed to work) is to use the amendment process as a means to filibuster.  If they choose not to do this, then they are complicit in its passage.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 06:11:03 am »
Add poison pill amendments ...

The Democrats won't allow a single amendment to be added.  That much is certain.  The Republicans should concentrate on the length of the amendments instead of the substance of them, making sure that every single word of each amendment is read on the Senate floor before a vote.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 06:29:08 am »
 :mauslaff:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 11:43:59 am »
   I'm rarely disappointed because I don't expect anything from these azzholes.

@corbe

All those people standing behind Mitch,the Bitch,and not a single one of them is wearing a black hood and carrying a noose.

There is just no excuse for that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 11:45:55 am »
So where have these brave republicans been for the last 7 years?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 01:43:29 pm »
Republicans unleash hell as we collectively laugh in contempt......

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 03:10:53 pm »
Republicans unleash hell as we collectively laugh in contempt......

:thumbsup: