Author Topic: E-scooter batteries caused NYC fire that killed child, woman  (Read 689 times)

Offline Kamaji

E-scooter batteries caused NYC fire that killed child, woman
« on: August 04, 2022, 01:33:47 pm »
E-scooter batteries caused NYC fire that killed child, woman

By Amanda Woods
August 4, 2022

The East Harlem blaze that killed a 5-year-old girl and her father’s girlfriend – as well as three dogs – was sparked by lithium-ion batteries on an e-scooter or e-bike, fire officials said.

The little girl, her 46-year-old dad and his 36-year-old girlfriend became trapped inside a sixth-floor apartment of the eight-story building within NYCHA’s Jackie Robinson Houses during the fire that broke out just after 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, authorities said.

The girl and her father were rushed to Harlem Hospital, where the child succumbed to her injuries and the man remains in critical condition Thursday morning, police said.

Three dogs also died in the blaze, authorities said.

The deadly fire stemmed from the batteries used for e-scooters and e-bikes, the FDNY tweeted hours after the blaze.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/04/east-harlem-fire-caused-by-e-scooter-batteries/

Online mountaineer

Re: E-scooter batteries caused NYC fire that killed child, woman
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 01:38:24 pm »
 **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 01:44:55 pm »
When are the 'greenies' going to realize that 'E' vehicles are detrimental?

I'd rather go back to horse and buggy!  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 01:52:23 pm »
... can't go back to horse n buggy ... horses poop
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:48:18 pm »
When are the 'greenies' going to realize that 'E' vehicles are detrimental?

I'd rather go back to horse and buggy!  :shrug:
I don't know, my grandson has an E bike that lets him get around pretty good and has been a big help in him getting to HS football and baseball practice. I don't think I could ever trust one in my garage, let alone inside an apartment especially a sixth floor apartment **nononono*

Online GtHawk

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 10:50:44 pm »
... can't go back to horse n buggy ... horses poop
But think of the job creation, all those sanitation engineers wheel around their wheelbarrows, brooms and shovels to clean up the turds, and all the fertilizer too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 10:52:30 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 11:14:39 pm »
Maybe the battery makers and EV makers should have strict liability for the damages their products cause?

Online GtHawk

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 12:50:43 am »
Maybe the battery makers and EV makers should have strict liability for the damages their products cause?
That might be tough, one thing if it's really cheap shoddy batteries with a history of combustion like I recall with the cheap hoverboard knockoffs, but hey they're not guns,  so I bet the manufactures could rightly question the way batteries were used or abused and what the charging practices were like.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 02:28:07 pm »
Lithium batteries have to be manufactured in a near cleanroom environment (remember those Dell laptops that were self-incinerating 15 or 20 years ago?), have to be charged with a carefully programmed charging profile (remember that Samsung cell phone model that was discontinued due to self-incineration?), don't handle shock and vibration (EVs damaged in accident that self-incinerate while sitting idly for weeks in parking lots), and sometimes randomly self-incinerate (e.g. EV bus spontaneous combustion events in multiple cities). Car companies are starting to warn against parking EVs in garages, https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/14/gm-warns-some-bolt-ev-owners-dont-park-them-inside-or-charge-them-unattended-overnight.html .

I am not anything Luddite. My career, for over 4 decades, has been in a technology that increased the efficiency of computer power systems from <50% to >90%. But lithium batteries have been evolved far past the point where they are reliably stable and safe.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.