Author Topic: Do not mess with Nolan Ryan…  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Do not mess with Nolan Ryan…
« on: August 05, 2022, 12:00:04 pm »
Citizen Free Press

Baseball by BSmile

Today In 1993: 46-year-old Texas #Rangers pitcher Nolan Ryan takes care of business after Robin Ventura makes a bad decision to charge the mound after getting drilled by a fastball! #MLB #Legend #Baseball #History

Today is the 29th anniversary of this moment.

https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/1555158413344215040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1555158413344215040%7Ctwgr%5E1afb8d73ad711a24a6bf184451853c3e0710ea22%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcitizenfreepress.com%2Fbreaking%2Fdo-not-mess-with-nolan-ryan%2F

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Do not mess with Nolan Ryan…
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 05:26:14 pm »
Ryan was a bad ass, and by far my favorite baseball player of all time.

Ryan  v. Ventura?

5700+K's?  7 no hitters? 

Been widely detailed that his strikeout record is among baseball's must unattainable record.

From my count only 21 players in modern MLB history have struck out 280 in a season.

To beat Ryan's record a person would have to strike out 280 for 21 seasons.  That's never happening, especially in the era of 5 man pitching rotations.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 05:33:36 pm »
Ryan threw 66 1/3 innings and faced 291 batters during that 1993 season. Ventura was the only one he hit with a pitch.

Yeah, it must have been an accident! A one off!   lol
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 05:36:13 pm »
Iconic.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 05:38:44 pm »
Ryan threw 66 1/3 innings and faced 291 batters during that 1993 season. Ventura was the only one he hit with a pitch.

Yeah, it must have been an accident! A one off!   lol

Big Tex didn't like cocky left handers who mouthed off and crowded the plate. 

Ventura was lucky this fastball was only 97 mph.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 05:50:23 pm »

Ventura was lucky this fastball was only 97 mph.

Nolan Ryan said: "I think there might have been 500,000 people in the stadium when that happened, because everyone says they were at that game,"

Now George W was actually at the game ( I think he was a minority owner????) and he claimed he was going to charge the field until he saw Bo Jackson join the scrum!  That must have been when hostilities broke out the second time. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 05:55:16 pm »
Nolan Ryan said: "I think there might have been 500,000 people in the stadium when that happened, because everyone says they were at that game,"

Now George W was actually at the game ( I think he was a minority owner????) and he claimed he was going to charge the field until he saw Bo Jackson join the scrum!  That must have been when hostilities broke out the second time.

Frank Thomas, a strong ox too was on the Sox at the time.  The Rangers would have had  a tough time in a all out brawl. (Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 06:05:23 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 06:01:50 pm »
Just one more reason to like Nolan Ryan.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 06:04:37 pm »
Ryan early on after retirement toyed with idea of getting into TX politics, and  I understand at one point was serious about running for Agricultural Commissioner.  (He is a big time rancher).

I have no idea why he decided otherwise. But I don't blame him.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 06:19:35 pm »
Alvin, TX, just 20 miles down the road from me.

My 1st MLB game was at Angel Stadium with my older brother in 1972.
Ryan pitching.
Typical Ryan outing back then.
15 strike outs, 4 walks 2 hit batters.
Angels won 4-2.
Became my favorite player.
Saw him several times in the Dome.

I want to see that movie "Facing Ryan".
Just came out this year.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 07:51:05 pm »

Our company had season tickets to the Rangers and we sat right behind GW Bush.  I'd try to get tickets every time Nolan would pitch....the guy was simply amazing.  He came out our way deer hunting and put together a BBQ to help raise funds for a local towns new baseball stadium.  He was as nice of a guy as you'd ever meet.  The VP of our company ended up partnering with Nolan to buy the Rangers.

Sometimes they'd change the rotation and Nolan wouldn't pitch, so we'd see Charlie Hough instead.  If the knuckleball was on it was fun, but if was off, it would be homerun after homerun....lol.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 08:12:52 pm »

Ryan pitching.
Angels won 4-2.

Just came out this year.

Saw every one of his  Dome Start in 1984 and 1985.  Was that big a fan. Including taking a pic of the exact swing and miss when he got his 4000th strike out.

Offline berdie

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 08:19:21 pm »
Truthfully, I love Nolan and this clip. :laugh:

Who expects this at a baseball game? After all...it ain't hockey. :rolling:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 08:48:22 pm »

Ryan pitching.
Angels won 4-2.

Just came out this year.

@GrouchoTex
We've probably either crossed or come close to crossing paths over the years. Not through baseball as I am a newcomer to the game, but in the locales and various haunts where we could be seen out and about. A bunch of us would frequently drive to Alvin to go to the dances and meet cute guys. I started my college education in Alvin. And I was once stopped by Alvin police because he thought I was DWI. The truth was, I was the designated driver loooooong before that even became a thing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:49:12 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 09:04:08 pm »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm »
Saw every one of his  Dome Start in 1984 and 1985.  Was that big a fan. Including taking a pic of the exact swing and miss when he got his 4000th strike out.
@catfish1957
I'd try to go to every opening day for a while.
I'd average a game a month back then.
I'd try to go when Ryan started.
Lately, due to cost, I average about 1 a year.
I do have tickets to every Space cowboys Tuesday home games.
I missed the last one though, the McCullers/Kuechel match up.  8888crybaby

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 09:11:30 pm »
@GrouchoTex
We've probably either crossed or come close to crossing paths over the years. Not through baseball as I am a newcomer to the game, but in the locales and various haunts where we could be seen out and about. A bunch of us would frequently drive to Alvin to go to the dances and meet cute guys. I started my college education in Alvin. And I was once stopped by Alvin police because he thought I was DWI. The truth was, I was the designated driver loooooong before that even became a thing.
@AllThatJazzZ
You could be right.
I lived in the Ellington/Almeda mall area from 1982/1994 and now live in Sugar Land since then.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 09:36:58 pm »

I always thought you were a dude!.  Well, I guess you could be...not that there is anything wrong with that.  ;)

Offline Idiot

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 11:26:58 pm »
I always thought you were a dude!.  Well, I guess you could be...not that there is anything wrong with that.  ;)
Wow!  I assumed you were a dude also.   :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 03:09:10 am »

@Wingnut
@mrpotatohead

So y'all are confused about my gender? Either y'all have not perceived the femininity of my keystrokes, or I'm projecting a masculine persona. :shrug: But probably y'all have me mixed up with Jazzhead who occasionally posts here. I've frequently been mistaken for him (usually by people at odds with him), so I made sure to accurately state my gender in the brief profile next to our posts. Hint: it's pink. :tongue2:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2022, 03:46:59 am »
In fairness, Jazzhead does act more feminine.  Just sayin'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2022, 03:52:20 am »

Ryan must have forgot he wasn't pitching in the NL any more.  Because plate crowding is highly discouraged in NL parks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2022, 04:41:22 am »
Ventura got more hits with Ryan on the mound than anyone else in history.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2022, 04:52:17 am »
Ventura got more hits with Ryan on the mound than anyone else in history.

Nope...

That record belongs to the great George Brett who had 29 lifetime hits against Ryan.

https://baseballroundtable.com/the-ryan-express-the-ryan-nemesis-nemeses-a-world-versus-nolan-ryan-all-star-lineup/