Author Topic: Inflation Reduction Act drops most of Biden’s proposals to tax the rich  (Read 379 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Inflation Reduction Act drops most of Biden’s proposals to tax the rich
by Tobias Burns - 08/04/22 5:15 AM ET

The deal struck last week by Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), a slimmed-down version of the Build Back Better Act, leaves out most of President Biden’s proposals to pull in greater government revenues from rich taxpayers. 

Increases in individual income tax rates for high earners, increases in the estate tax, increased taxes on capital gains like stock and property holdings, a tax on billionaires, a plan to build out the net investment income tax and a surtax on high-income households are plans that have been scrapped from the Inflation Reduction Act.

“The administration proposed many, many tax increases that aren’t reflected in this legislation,” UCLA tax economist and former tax analyst for the Treasury Department Kimberly Clausing said Wednesday on a call with reporters. 

“This past November, [there was] a version of this legislation that was broader and that would have included a lot more tax increases, including the net investment income tax provision, [which is] a very important loophole that hopefully Congress will close someday,” she added.

Among the many proposals nixed from the current legislative package is a plan to restore the top income tax rate of 39.6 percent, brought down to 37 percent by the Trump administration’s Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, as well as a 3 percent surtax on taxpayers with income of $5 million or more put forward by the House Ways and Means Committee in 2021.

Also missing is a plan to increase taxes on investment earnings, known as capital gains, to 25 percent, as well as an expansion of the net investment income tax, more than half of which would have been paid for by the top 0.1 percent of taxpayers, according to an analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a Washington think tank.

“President Biden, in his campaign, in his budgets, proposed a substantial amount of tax increases on high-income people,” analyst Howard Gleckman of the Tax Policy Center said in an interview. “It included this idea of expanding the net investment income tax, which was a provision in the 2010 Affordable Care Act that would have extended a 3.8 percent tax to certain kinds of businesses that were not subject to the original one.”

“The finance committee people were moving along on the net investment income tax,” he added. “I mean, that required some background work to do, and they were doing that. They were under the impression that this was going to happen. And then suddenly it didn’t.”

more
https://thehill.com/policy/3586697-inflation-reduction-act-drops-most-of-bidens-proposals-to-tax-the-rich/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The unwritten part:  The bill kept the tax increases on the middle and lower classes.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

The unwritten part:  The bill kept the tax increases on the middle and lower classes.

Tax the poor and feed the rich.  At the rate things are going I think that the middle class is becoming extinct.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online berdie

Tax the poor and feed the rich.  At the rate things are going I think that the middle class is becoming extinct.

I truly believe this is the goal. I just can't figure out why. **nononono*

Offline libertybele

My theory is that the very rich like Gates and Soros, will be able to dictate and enslave??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Ask that question of Willie Sutton.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: