Author Topic: Florida's new ‘Don't Tread On Me' license plate stirs controversy  (Read 898 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
There is really no controversy.  Just the butthurt perpetually offended minority who hate DeSantis.

Pre-ordering mine.

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) - Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis took to Twitter last week to promote the state’s new license plate design. Since then, the responses have ranged from support to criticism.

The new plate features the slogan “Don’t Tread On Me” accompanied by a black coiled rattlesnake over a yellow background. According to the governor’s office, funds from the plate will benefit the Florida Veterans Foundation.

The “Dont Tread On Me” slogan, which is also known as the Gadsden flag, was first flown on a warship in 1775 as a battle cry for American independence from British taxation and rule, according to Dictionary.com. However, its meaning has changed significantly since then.

In the early 2000s, the flag’s meaning became increasingly politicized after it was adopted by conservative and libertarian groups and their platforms for small government and lower taxes. After several supporters of these groups were accused of racism, many of their critics associated the Gadsden flag as an expression of bigotry, the site added.

DeSantis meanwhile has claimed on Twitter that the plate is intended to send a clear message to out-of-state cars, “‘Don't Tread on Me’ or Florida.”

The “out-of-state cars” likely refers to tourists from other states like New York and California who have flooded into the Sunshine State in recent years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-s-new-don-t-tread-on-me-license-plate-stirs-controversy/ar-AA10h7PQ?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=c32cfb38388e48a8cb0beb5a91668401
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Florida's new ‘Don't Tread On Me' license plate stirs controversy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 08:40:57 pm »
Is the "Sunshine State" option now gone?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 08:45:16 pm »
Amazingly, MSN clean forgot to post an image of a plate.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 08:46:08 pm »

I think the new plate is just another one of the customized plates that can be purchased, but doesn't replace the standard plate design.  Florida has a lot of custom plates available.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 08:53:19 pm »
Since when does the Left get to be the arbiter of what is "Controversial"?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 08:54:33 pm »
Amazingly, MSN clean forgot to post an image of a plate.

LOL.... That would be SOP.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 09:03:54 pm »
The "Don't Tread On Me" plate will go into production once 3,000 are sold. DeSantis said money raised from the sale of the plates will go towards the Florida Veterans Foundation, which approved the design of the plates.

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-license-plate-dont-tread-me-meaning-1730534
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 09:04:48 pm »
LOL.... That would be SOP.

I'd get one if I can get it in Disabled Plate....we hate those mirror-hangers.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 09:08:24 pm »

I don't like the mirror hangers either, but it beats having to park a distance away.  I use mine primarily to park in the handicap spaces so that I don't get my car dinged by some inconsiderate driver.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 09:19:26 pm »
I don't like the mirror hangers either, but it beats having to park a distance away.  I use mine primarily to park in the handicap spaces so that I don't get my car dinged by some inconsiderate driver.

We have the license plates on our cars.  Parking spaces, but with no mirror hangers.  I just can't drive with one of those. 

Disabled Parking spots are definitely wider...I have to think twice when I park in a regular space.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 10:34:52 pm »
I'm in California and when I had two cars I got DP plates for one and had the placard for the other. I'm down to one car now but still get the placard for when someone else drives, you don't get to have both?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 10:38:43 pm »
The problem here is that there are so many people with DP placards, like guys that pull up in work trucks or raised duallys that hop out and run walk to the store that there is almost never a handicap space available, especially around Seizure World where my mother lives.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 10:47:26 pm »
I'm in California and when I had two cars I got DP plates for one and had the placard for the other. I'm down to one car now but still get the placard for when someone else drives, you don't get to have both?

I never asked. We only ride in our two cars, and it was just easier to get the plates for both since we had the proper paperwork.  :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 01:33:13 pm »

Still available.  My plate has "In God We Trust". 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 01:44:46 pm »
Kinda funny to me that most of those "patriotic" plate are bolted to foreign cars...  :smokin: