Author Topic: Can't sign in to Microsoft Outlook  (Read 1507 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Can't sign in to Microsoft Outlook
« on: August 03, 2022, 10:39:07 pm »
Haven't been able to check my email for 3 days now.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

Re: Can't sign in to Microsoft Outlook
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 10:42:46 pm »
No problem, but I only use MS Outlook for work, so maybe that's the difference.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:48:52 pm »
No problems here with Hotmail.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 11:06:27 pm »
Haven't been able to check my email for 3 days now.

Is anyone else having this problem?

@sneakypete

Which email are you trying to access? Using which program? Is it actual Outlook (as comes in MS Office) or MS Mail (as comes stock on all versions of Windows)? I know they call MSMail 'Outlook' now, but for the sake of accuracy in this thread, one is Outlook, and one is MSMail... okay?

You can access any webmail address with a browser (firefox, chrome, or edge) rather than an email client... If your email is with Yahoo, go to Yahoo in the browser and log in... and then go to mail.
The same with MS emails (@live, @hotmail etc)... you can go to MSN in a browser, log in, and go to mail...

Can you get there that way? Because then the problem is with your email program and not your actual account.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 01:27:35 am »
@sneakypete

Which email are you trying to access? Using which program? Is it actual Outlook (as comes in MS Office) or MS Mail (as comes stock on all versions of Windows)? I know they call MSMail 'Outlook' now, but for the sake of accuracy in this thread, one is Outlook, and one is MSMail... okay?

@roamer_1

That's as clear as mud. You DO know I have chemo brain,and the attention span of a slow flea,right?

All I know is that I read my emails on Microsoft Edge,and OUTLOOK was the mailer.

You can access any webmail address with a browser (firefox, chrome, or edge) rather than an email client... If your email is with Yahoo, go to Yahoo in the browser and log in... and then go to mail.
The same with MS emails (@live, @hotmail etc)... you can go to MSN in a browser, log in, and go to mail...

I go to the outlook page,click on log-in.and all I get is a box with a white screen in it.

Can you get there that way?

No.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 01:52:43 am »
All I know is that I read my emails on Microsoft Edge,and OUTLOOK was the mailer.

I go to the outlook page,click on log-in.and all I get is a box with a white screen in it.

No.

@sneakypete

Alright... That makes sense.
It seems your Edge is not up to date, or one of the components is not up to date.

Can't tell you how on win 11 because it ain't in front of me. Find 'Settings' and it will be mostly the same from there...

but on Win10:

Start=> Way down on the left, Settings (gear).
Once in the Settings dialog, poke 'Update and Security'
Inside the Update and Security dialog, in the side bar, poke Updates.

In the main dialog poke 'Check for updates'.
Let it populate and automatically download and install
restart if asked for... AND REPEAT.
Repeat until it says you are up to date.

AND THEN
Just below the 'Check for Updates' button, you may see 'Cumulative' updates of one sort or another... Below that a 'download and install' link. Poke that link. It'll take a while.

AND REPEAT.

Keep wailing at it until there are *NO* cumulative updates and the thing is saying you are up to date.... BOTH TRUE or you are not done.

Then try Edge. If no joy, write back.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:55:30 am by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 03:59:36 pm »
@Kamaji  @moutaineer  @roamer-1 

Ok,guys,problem solved. I gave up trying to get my old computer to open the MS web browser I was using (chemo brain is hiding the name from me,but it began with "O") ,so I just did it on my new computer.

Or I thought I did. What I opened/installed was MS Edge.

What's the difference?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 04:03:28 pm »
@Kamaji  @moutaineer  @roamer-1 

Ok,guys,problem solved. I gave up trying to get my old computer to open the MS web browser I was using (chemo brain is hiding the name from me,but it began with "O") ,so I just did it on my new computer.

Or I thought I did. What I opened/installed was MS Edge.

What's the difference?

@sneakypete

The Microsoft web browser offerings are only Internet Explorer, or Edge. That's it.

Edge is basically the newer, better, faster version of Internet Explorer.

The only browser I am aware of that starts with 'O' would be Opera, which has nothing to do with Microsoft.   :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 04:09:20 pm »
@sneakypete

The Microsoft web browser offerings are only Internet Explorer, or Edge. That's it.

Edge is basically the newer, better, faster version of Internet Explorer.

The only browser I am aware of that starts with 'O' would be Opera, which has nothing to do with Microsoft.   :shrug:

@roamer_1

It's name is Outlook. I forgot all about Outlook being in the header title.

BTW,it is SOOOO much easier to type on this 16 inch laptop than it was the 14 incher!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 04:10:07 pm by sneakypete »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 04:18:40 pm »
@roamer_1

It's name is Outlook. I forgot all about Outlook being in the header title.

BTW,it is SOOOO much easier to type on this 16 inch laptop than it was the 14 incher!

@sneakypete

Outlook is email, not browser.
Outlook can be either of three things:

The new MSMail or 'Mail' - a stock piece of Windows gear since Hector was a pup. That is sometimes rebranded as 'Outlook'

The web-based Outlook, which comes as part of the free web based version of MS Office - Very often supplied directly on new machines, and which is hawked by MS during the update routines if you choose not to buy a real Office subscription. These web based tools can also be accessed through any web browser - So that is what I think you are doing. You can use a browser to log into the online version.

And finally, actual REAL Outlook - The actual program supplied by either subscription membership or outright purchase of Microsoft Office.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 04:22:16 pm »
@sneakypete

Outlook is email, not browser.
Outlook can be either of three things:

The new MSMail or 'Mail' - a stock piece of Windows gear since Hector was a pup. That is sometimes rebranded as 'Outlook'

The web-based Outlook, which comes as part of the free web based version of MS Office - Very often supplied directly on new machines, and which is hawked by MS during the update routines if you choose not to buy a real Office subscription. These web based tools can also be accessed through any web browser - So that is what I think you are doing. You can use a browser to log into the online version.

And finally, actual REAL Outlook - The actual program supplied by either subscription membership or outright purchase of Microsoft Office.

@roamer_1
I am now more confused than ever,but this is on me,not you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 04:30:57 pm »
@roamer_1
I am now more confused than ever,but this is on me,not you.

@sneakypete

Your chemo brain makes it hard to understand where you are too - But odlly enough I am less confused than ever.

If you open Edge...
And type 'outlook.com' into the address bar...
You will come to the Office website online, directly into the web-based Outlook app... It even says 'Outlook' in the title bar.

Pretty sure that's what you are doing.