Author Topic: US household debt surpassed $16 trillion for the first time ever during the second quarter.  (Read 910 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/02/economy/consumer-credit-borrowing-surge/index.html

<snipit>
Americans are piling up credit card debt as they struggle to keep up with the high cost of living....

New York (CNN)-Americans are piling up credit card debt as they struggle to keep up with the high cost of living.

US household debt surpassed $16 trillion for the first time ever during the second quarter, the New York Federal Reserve said Tuesday.
Even as borrowing costs surge, the NY Fed said credit card balances increased by $46 billion last quarter.
Over the past year, credit card debt has jumped by $100 billion, or 13%, the biggest percentage increase in more than 20 years. Credit cards typically charge high interest rates when balances aren't fully paid off, making this an expensive form of debt.

The NY Fed said the credit card binge at least partly reflects inflation as prices rise at the fastest pace in more than four decades.
"The impacts of inflation are apparent in high volumes of borrowing," NY Fed researchers wrote in a blog post.
==================================================================================

Seems the American consumer is taking  a cue from its government toward taking debt leverage over a cliff.  This dog chasing its tail into a sea of debt, has no good ending.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 05:12:03 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Still less than Federal Government debt.

It's amazing how 535 people in Congress can accumulate more debt than 330 million.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Hoodat

It's amazing how 535 people in Congress can accumulate more debt than 330 million.

The difference here is that the $16 trillion borrowed by consumers came from dollars that were already in existence.  And unlike Congress, this debt (accumulating double-digit interest) will actually have to be repaid at some point, eventually at the point of a gun.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

It's at least implied that citizens pay debt back.  There is no such illusion in congress. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

The difference here is that the $16 trillion borrowed by consumers came from dollars that were already in existence.  And unlike Congress, this debt (accumulating double-digit interest) will actually have to be repaid at some point, eventually at the point of a gun.

No guns.  If it comes to it, that’s what bankruptcy is for. 

Online Hoodat

No guns.  If it comes to it, that’s what bankruptcy is for.

The people who repo your car will have guns.  The people who evict you from your property will have guns.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Why would Congressmen worry about paying other people's debt?

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

The people who repo your car will have guns.  The people who evict you from your property will have guns.

Only if I haven't filed a bankruptcy petition first.  Once that's filed, they'll get their balls nailed to the wall if they try any self-help; even a secured creditor has to get approval from the court to enforce their security interests.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Why would Congressmen worry about paying other people's debt?

Only if it is student loans.....
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It wouldn't be Congressmen's money paying off the student loans; it would be mine.

Again, if everything is free for them, what do they have to worry about?

It's easy to be generous with other people's money.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@catfish1957

The good news is that is only 12 dollars in pre-Biden money.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Hoodat

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji