Author Topic: Kansas voters reject anti-abortion measure in first state vote since Roe v. Wade reversal  (Read 867 times)

Offline Kamaji

Kansas voters reject anti-abortion measure in first state vote since Roe v. Wade reversal

By Jesse O’Neill
August 2, 2022

Voters in the state of Kansas flocked to the polls Tuesday to strike down an anti-abortion ballot measure in a forceful rebuke of the Supreme Court’s recent reversal of Roe v. Wade.

The non-binding referendum would have cleared the way for lawmakers to ban or restrict abortion was the first time voters in the US were asked to weigh in on the right to choose since the high court overturned five decades of federal reproductive protections in June.

Kansans voted against Amendment 2 by a margin of 62% to 38% with 76% of precincts reporting Tuesday night.

The large margin came amid nationwide discontent over Roe v. Wade.

“The Supreme Court’s extreme decision to overturn Roe v. Wade put women’s health and lives at risk. Tonight, the American people had something to say about it,” President Joe Biden said in a statement.

“This vote makes clear what we know: the majority of Americans agree that women should have access to abortion and should have the right to make their own health care decisions.”

Voting on the proposition was less bipartisan than usual because it was open to Kansas’ more than half a million unaffiliated voters on a primary day when the state’s registered voters were choosing gubernatorial candidates.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/02/kansas-voters-overwhelmingly-reject-anti-abortion-measure/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I obviously put myself in the column of Pro-Life, but I was afraid this might become a highly wedge issue this November. And one that might might energize the left, when we need them despondant and staying home.

62-38% in a red state?  This wasn't even close.  Again, as I said at the onset, this was a SCOTUS decision that I wish could have been postponed until late November 2022.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:44:35 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

This is how this issue should be decided. Not by a court but the voters in individual states. Neither party represents the majority when it comes to abortion
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I obviously put myself in the column of Pro-Life, but I was afraid this might become a highly wedge issue this November. And one that might might energize the left, when we need them despondant and staying home.

62-38% in a red state?  This wasn't even close.  Again, as I said at the onset, this was a SCOTUS decision that I wish could have been postponed until late November 2022.

I agree...I heard that this was the only state with *abortion* on the ballot...this will affect votes of candidates in state legislatures......but I am now really worried about Nov now..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

This should be a warning to conservatives and the GOP that Americans do not want  abortion bans

They’ll want the GOP to do something about inflation, gas prices, the border, and big city crime.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

This should be a warning to conservatives and the GOP that Americans do not want  abortion bans

They’ll want the GOP to do something about inflation, gas prices, the border, and big city crime.

:thumbsup:

Online andy58-in-nh

This is how this issue should be decided. Not by a court but the voters in individual states. Neither party represents the majority when it comes to abortion

:yowsa:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online DefiantMassRINO

Maybe the availability of abortion on demand should be something that's decided on a county by county basis.

The majority of rural Kanasas counties voted to remove the state constitutional protection, while fewer, but more populous, urban and suburban counties voted not to remove.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright