Author Topic: GOP agrees to deal on veterans bill  (Read 361 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP agrees to deal on veterans bill
« on: August 02, 2022, 07:53:17 pm »
 GOP agrees to deal on veterans bill
by Jordan Williams - 08/02/22 3:10 PM ET

Senate Republicans have reached an agreement to pass legislation expanding benefits for veterans who are suffering illnesses due to toxic exposures, after they blocked the bill last week and sparked outrage from the veteran community and comedian Jon Stewart.

“We expect to have an agreement on the PACT Act with amendments,” Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said. “I believe it will pass and pass this evening. So, that’s very good news.”

A vote on the measure is expected early Tuesday evening.

Schumer said that the Senate will vote on three amendments to the bill, with 60 votes being needed to pass those bills. The upper chamber will then move to finally pass the bill.

The deal will also allow the upper chamber to vote on Finland and Sweden joining NATO on Friday.

The agreement comes as Republicans have been trying to find a way to end a standoff over the bill after blocking the measure by a vote of 55-42 last Wednesday.

Twenty-five Republicans who initially voted to advance the bill in June changed their votes.

Veterans have been camped outside the Capitol since last Thursday in a bid to pressure senators to change their minds on the measure.

Republicans have said they are not opposed the original substance of the bill, but rather a “budgetary gimmick” that would designate $400 billion spent by the Department of Veterans Affairs as mandatory spending. This spending would not be subject to annual appropriations process like discretionary spending.

Earlier on Tuesday, Rep. Jerry Moran (Kan.), the top Republican on the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee, told reporters that Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) had been offered amendments on the bill. But 60 votes are needed to pass them.

https://thehill.com/policy/3584872-senate-reaches-deal-on-bill-for-veterans-with-toxic-exposure-illnesses/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: GOP agrees to deal on veterans bill
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 07:59:25 pm »
You cannot tell me Jon Stewart isn't being heavily compensated for his actions here.  He can't be THAT stupid!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 08:56:22 pm »
Frankly, these people are spending money like we have it on crap. So we might as well spend some on our vets.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:08:09 pm »
BOHICA!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 09:12:49 pm »
We have been dealing with this burn pit problem for nearly a century. 

Has ANYONE given any thought  to changing the way the military disposes of waste or are we so addicted to throwing money around it is not considered a problem?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 09:19:27 pm »
BOHICA!!!

Yes, I see McConnell is going for the trifecta of cave-ins.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: