Author Topic: Manchin will talk to Sinema about supporting climate, tax deal  (Read 302 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Manchin will talk to Sinema about supporting climate, tax deal
by Alexander Bolton - 08/01/22 1:12 PM ET

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) says he will talk to fellow centrist Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) about supporting a broad tax reform and climate bill he’s negotiated with Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) that would reduce carbon emissions by 40 percent by 2030. 

Sinema has kept silent about whether she will support the deal, which needs the votes of all 50 members of the Senate Democratic caucus to pass. 

The Arizona senator expressed opposition last year to closing the carried interest tax loophole for asset managers, something that Manchin insisted be part of the deal. 

Manchin said he didn’t keep Sinema in the loop during his talks with Schumer because he didn’t know if a deal was possible, but he said he plans to speak with her Monday afternoon, when the Senate is scheduled to vote on a judicial nominee to Virginia’s eastern district court.

“I’m sure we’ll get a chance to speak today because she usually comes in [on Monday], and we’ll speak on the floor,” he told reporters. 

Manchin said last week that he was “adamant” about keeping a proposal to close the carried interest loophole, which lets money managers pay a capital gains tax rate on the income they earn from profitable investments. 

Sinema’s staff said the senator is reviewing the legislation.

Manchin indicated that he would likely vote to protect the budget reconciliation package from amendments that would alter it significantly, arguing that he and Schumer have struck the right balance after months of difficult negotiations. 

“I’m just saying, we have a good balanced piece of legislation. It’s taken me eight months to get here. We’ve listened to everybody along the way,” he said when asked whether he would vote for amendments to change the bill, which would raise $739 billion in new revenue and reduce the deficit by more than $300 billion. 

Manchin said he kept his conversations with Schumer close to the vest.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3582838-manchin-will-talk-to-sinema-about-supporting-climate-tax-deal/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Manchin will talk to Sinema about supporting climate, tax deal
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 05:49:53 pm »
She's a definite "Aye" vote, she's just trying to figure out how to get away with it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

Re: Manchin will talk to Sinema about supporting climate, tax deal
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 07:29:19 pm »
 I've urged conservatives not to consider Joe Manchin their friend. Now Sinema does this:
Burgess Everett
@burgessev
Kaine, Collins, Sinema and Murkowski introduce the "Reproductive Freedom For All Act," a bipartisan attempt to codify Roe
3:04 PM · Aug 1, 2022·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org