Author Topic: Facebook, Instagram Posts Flagged as False for Rejecting Biden's Recession Wordplay  (Read 269 times)

Offline Kamaji

Facebook, Instagram Posts Flagged as False for Rejecting Biden's Recession Wordplay

"The fact-checking industry has become a partisan arbiter of political disputes," notes Phil Magness.

ROBBY SOAVE

Meta's third-party fact-checkers have flagged as "false information" posts on Instagram and Facebook accusing the Biden administration of changing the definition of a recession in order to deny that the U.S. economy has entered one. This is yet another reminder that the project of purportedly independent fact-checking on social media is a highly partisan one, in which legitimately debatable opinions are passed off as objective truth.

Last week, the White House published an online article disputing the standard definition of an economic recession: i.e., two consecutive fiscal quarters in which GDP growth was negative.

"Both official determinations of recessions and economists' assessment of economic activity are based on a holistic look at the data—including the labor market, consumer and business spending, industrial production, and incomes," wrote the White House. "Based on these data, it is unlikely that the decline in GDP in the first quarter of this year—even if followed by another GDP decline in the second quarter—indicates a recession."

This post has been widely shared—and in some cases, mocked—on social media. Graham Allen, an Instagram personality, posted a video reacting to the post in which he asked Siri to define the term recession. Siri's definition: two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth.

But Allen's video is currently obscured on Instagram; users can still watch it, but they first have to click past a disclaimer that it contains "false information reviewed by independent fact-checkers." A similar label has appeared on some Facebook posts that also take issue with the Biden administration's wordplay.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/07/29/recession-facebook-fact-check-biden-politifact/

Offline Kamaji

Color me surprised.  Not.

Offline LMAO

The administrations attempt to redefine what a Recession is it something we can joke about

What’s not funny, and I would say downright scary, is the media’s willingness  to go along with it
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy