Author Topic: House Democrats tee up last-minute vote Friday on assault weapons ban [passed]  (Read 1699 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 House Democrats tee up last-minute vote Friday on assault weapons ban
by Mychael Schnell - 07/29/22 12:49 PM ET

House Democrats announced a last-minute vote on a bill to ban assault weapons on Friday, looking to pass the highly anticipated legislation before lawmakers break for the month-long August recess.

In a letter to colleagues just after 11 a.m. on Friday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said the House would vote on the assault weapons ban that afternoon, calling the legislation “a crucial step in our ongoing fight against the deadly epidemic of gun violence in our nation.”

The House took a key step toward passing the assault weapons ban Friday morning, approving a resolution for same-day authority that allows the chamber to fast-track top priorities.

The chamber approved the resolution in a largely party-line vote of 218-206. Reps. Jared Golden (Maine) and Kurt Schrader (Ore.) were the only two Democrats to oppose the measure.

The House is slated to debate and vote on the bill later Friday. During her weekly press conference on Friday, Pelosi said she expects the measure to pass.

The House Judiciary Committee advanced the assault weapons ban last week, which was the first time in more than 20 years that a congressional panel had moved a measure to outlaw the sale, transfer and possession of the popular firearms. Democrats last enacted an assault weapons ban in 1994, but it expired 10 years later.

Pelosi announced on Wednesday that the House would delay votes on the assault weapons ban and community safety legislation to give lawmakers more time to negotiate remaining disagreements on police provisions.

Democrats initially planned to move the assault weapons ban and community safety legislation under the same rule, but some liberals have raised issues with a lack of accountability in the police bills. Pelosi ultimately decided to separate the two measures and take up the assault weapons ban on Friday, punting the police funding legislation to a later date.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3579743-house-democrats-tee-up-last-minute-vote-friday-on-assault-weapons-ban/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 10:43:36 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If they are pushing hard, they believe they have the votes.

The GOP better find a way to kill this.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Here are the 11 Democrats to watch on the vote to ban assault weapons
by Mychael Schnell - 07/29/22 4:20 PM ET

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced a last-minute vote Friday on a bill to ban assault weapons, bringing the much-watched measure to the floor following a string of mass shootings nationwide.

Pelosi’s decision to hold a vote on the legislation is significant — Democrats dragged their feet on bringing the bill to the floor for weeks out of concern that the razor-thin Democratic majority did not have enough support to get the measure over the finish line. On Friday, however, said she believed the bill would pass.

The assault weapons ban has a total of 207 voting co-sponsors. Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.), the lead sponsor of the bill, and Pelosi will also support the measure, bringing the number of reliable “yes” votes to 209. But that figure is still shy of the 216 needed for passage.

Rep. Chris Jacobs (R-N.Y.) said he would support the bill should it be brought for a vote, and Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) has expressed support for a prohibition on the popular firearms.

But even with their support, Democrats still need more members of their caucus to come on board.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3580094-here-are-the-11-democrats-to-watch-on-the-vote-to-ban-assault-weapons/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin Joe:
"If they are pushing hard, they believe they have the votes.
The GOP better find a way to kill this."

Probably close to being a done deal in the House.
If it's going to be stopped, that will have to be in the Senate.

It's interesting that there seem to be no (or next-to-no) dem-communists in the House who even worry any more about the implications of their anti-2nd-Amendment votes...

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 House passes bill to ban assault weapons
by Mychael Schnell - 07/29/22 6:29 PM ET

The House on Friday passed a bill to ban assault weapons, securing a significant victory for Democrats following a spate of mass shootings across the country and marking the first time lawmakers have approved a prohibition on the popular firearms in more than two decades.

The legislation, titled the Assault Weapons Ban of 2022, cleared the chamber in a 217-213 vote.

Republican Reps. Chris Jacobs (R-N.Y.) and Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.) supported the measure, while Democratic Reps. Henry Cuellar (Texas), Jared Golden (Maine), Vicente Gonzalez (Texas), Kurt Schrader (Ore.) and Ron Kind (D-Wisc.) voted “no.”

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced Friday morning that the House would take up the legislation that afternoon, scheduling the last-minute vote days after she said the chamber would punt consideration of the legislation to next month.

Democrats had planned to move the assault weapons ban with community safety legislation under one rule, but ultimately decided to consider them separately after some liberals voiced concerns about a lack of accountability in the police measures.

The assault weapons ban legislation, led by Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) and co-sponsored by 207 voting Democrats, specifically calls for prohibiting the sale, manufacture, transfer or import of various semiautomatic assault weapons, semiautomatic pistols and semiautomatic shotguns, depending on their features.

For example, all semi-automatic rifles that can accept detachable magazines and have a pistol grip, a forward grip, a grenade launcher, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding, telescoping or detachable stock are subject to the ban.

Semiautomatic assault rifles with fixed magazines that can accept more than 15 rounds are subject to the ban would also be prohibited under the legislation, except those with an attached tubular device that can only hold .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

Though it received bipartisan support in the House, the legislation has little chance of progressing in the Senate because of widespread Republican opposition. Still, House Democrats had pressed leadership for the chance to vote on the measure to send a message that they are fighting for an issue that has increased in popularity in recent years.

A poll conducted by Fox News in June found that 63 percent of registered voters support banning assault weapons.

Former President Clinton enacted an assault weapons ban in 1994 but it expired 10 years later, and Democrats have not had the support to pass another measure of its kind since.

The vote on an assault weapons ban is the latest firearm-related legislation the House has passed following a string of mass shootings that have plagued the country.

Last month, the House and Senate both cleared a gun safety bill in a bipartisan manner, which President Biden signed into law.

The measure enhanced background checks for gun purchasers ages 18 to 21 and established a federal offense for individuals obtaining firearms through straw purchases or trafficking, among other provisions.

The bill marked the first time in almost three decades that Congress had approved significant legislation to combat gun violence.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/3580314-house-passes-bill-to-ban-assault-weapons/
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
It passed very nearly, but nonetheless it passed. Next onto the Senate where I hold no hope that it won't pass.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Smokin Joe

Note the two defecting Republicans kept the vote from being tied.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Killer Clouds

If this unconstitutional crap passes it will be instantly challenged. Nadler himself admitted it's unconstitutional.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 05:44:57 am by Killer Clouds »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Smokin Joe:
"If they are pushing hard, they believe they have the votes.
The GOP better find a way to kill this."

Probably close to being a done deal in the House.
If it's going to be stopped, that will have to be in the Senate.

It's interesting that there seem to be no (or next-to-no) dem-communists in the House who even worry any more about the implications of their anti-2nd-Amendment votes...

@Fishrrman

Why would they? No gun ban is going to include them because they will simply have armed government agents protect them and theirs,and it won't even cost them a dime.

Plus,no cop is going to arrest any of them for carrying a weapon. They could walk down the street carrying a M-60 with a belt in it,and end up just getting a ride home.

Gun laws and bans are for thee and me,not our anointed masters.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 05:04:46 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
For example, all semi-automatic rifles that can accept detachable magazines and have a pistol grip, a forward grip, a grenade launcher, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding, telescoping or detachable stock are subject to the ban.

That means they are ALL banned because there is no such thing as a center-fire rifle  that doesn't have a threaded barrel.

Or a revolver that isn't a cheap 22 caliber.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That means they are ALL banned because there is no such thing as a center-fire rifle  that doesn't have a threaded barrel.

While threaded barrels to receive suppressors have become much more common on rifles and pistols they are still by far the minority of all the guns being produced.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

They're too stupid to realize that almost all barrels are threaded to be  screwed into the receivers.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
While threaded barrels to receive suppressors have become much more common on rifles and pistols they are still by far the minority of all the guns being produced.

@GtHawk

ALL rifles,with the exception for some 22 rimfires have threaded barrels. How else do you think they remain attached to the receiver?

Yes,I DO understand the "attach a silencer implication",but once the "threaded barrel" thing is law,it gives the government the authority to confiscate all rifles in the possession of civilians and others who don't have special permits.

As a wise man once noted,"The Devil is in the details".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They're too stupid to realize that almost all barrels are threaded to be  screwed into the receivers.

@Elderberry

Well,in THIS case I think the word "ignorant" is more appropriate for MOST of them. Not so sure the "movers and shakers" behind this are ignorant as to where this can lead,though. After all,their actual goal is to disarm the entire population except for the government,and since THEY are "the government",their bodyguards.

Offline GtHawk

@GtHawk

ALL rifles,with the exception for some 22 rimfires have threaded barrels. How else do you think they remain attached to the receiver?

Yes,I DO understand the "attach a silencer implication",but once the "threaded barrel" thing is law,it gives the government the authority to confiscate all rifles in the possession of civilians and others who don't have special permits.

As a wise man once noted,"The Devil is in the details".
I understand where you are coming from Pete, and yes it may surprise you but I do know a thing or two about how guns are constructed, I just don't think the democrats are clever enough to have thought of anything other than the bogeyman of suppressors when they cobbled together this Frankenstein bill. If anything making an overbroad definition as you are talking about will just further condemn this monstrosity on constitutional grounds, just one more nail in the coffin if you will.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I understand where you are coming from Pete, and yes it may surprise you but I do know a thing or two about how guns are constructed, I just don't think the democrats are clever enough to have thought of anything other than the bogeyman of suppressors when they cobbled together this Frankenstein bill. If anything making an overbroad definition as you are talking about will just further condemn this monstrosity on constitutional grounds, just one more nail in the coffin if you will.

@GtHawk

This is one of those rare cases where I hope someone else is right (you),and I am wrong.

I just don't believe the Dim leadership is stupid. Evil,selfish,and  power-mad without a doubt,but not stupid.

IF they can get this to become the law of the land,wait for an election or two to pass and build their power,and they will be going after confiscation and using things like this as a reason.

Don't forget,we now live in a country where only a minority of the population are legal gun owners,and most honest citizens have never even held one,much less owned one. These people tend to believe anything they are told about them.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
What Percentage of Americans Own Guns?

Gallup by Lydia Saad Nov. 13, 2020

https://news.gallup.com/poll/264932/percentage-americans-own-guns.aspx

Thirty-two percent of U.S. adults say they personally own a gun, while a larger percentage, 44%, report living in a gun household. Adults living in gun households include those with a gun in their home or anywhere on their property.

•   Republicans (50%), rural residents (48%), men (45%), self-identified conservatives (45%) and Southerners (40%) are the most likely subgroups to say they personally own a gun.

•   Liberals (15%), Democrats (18%), non-White Americans (18%), women (19%) and Eastern residents (21%) are the least likely to report personal gun ownership.

Offline GtHawk

@GtHawk

This is one of those rare cases where I hope someone else is right (you),and I am wrong.

I just don't believe the Dim leadership is stupid. Evil,selfish,and  power-mad without a doubt,but not stupid.

IF they can get this to become the law of the land,wait for an election or two to pass and build their power,and they will be going after confiscation and using things like this as a reason.

Don't forget,we now live in a country where only a minority of the population are legal gun owners,and most honest citizens have never even held one,much less owned one. These people tend to believe anything they are told about them.
Meh, there's nothing saying we aren't both right and evil people putting the bill together were trying to cover one while slipping in the other.

Offline Smokin Joe

One end or the other, most have threads.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

What Percentage of Americans Own Guns?

Gallup by Lydia Saad Nov. 13, 2020

https://news.gallup.com/poll/264932/percentage-americans-own-guns.aspx

Thirty-two percent of U.S. adults say they personally own a gun, while a larger percentage, 44%, report living in a gun household. Adults living in gun households include those with a gun in their home or anywhere on their property.

•   Republicans (50%), rural residents (48%), men (45%), self-identified conservatives (45%) and Southerners (40%) are the most likely subgroups to say they personally own a gun.

•   Liberals (15%), Democrats (18%), non-White Americans (18%), women (19%) and Eastern residents (21%) are the least likely to report personal gun ownership.

Those are just the ones who admitted it. Where did they get the data?

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
How are interviews conducted for the Gallup Poll Social Series?

Gallup interviews U.S. adults aged 18 and older living in all 50 states and the District of Columbia using a dual-frame design, which includes both landline and cellphone numbers. Gallup samples landline and cellphone numbers using random-digit-dial methods. Gallup purchases samples for this study from Survey Sampling International (SSI). Gallup chooses landline respondents at random within each household based on which member had the next birthday. Each sample of national adults includes a minimum quota of 70% cellphone respondents and 30% landline respondents, with additional minimum quotas by time zone within region. Gallup conducts interviews in Spanish for respondents who are primarily Spanish-speaking.

How many people are interviewed as part of the Gallup Poll Social Series?

Gallup interviews a minimum of 1,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and older for each GPSS survey. Samples for the June Minority Rights and Relations survey are significantly larger because Gallup includes oversamples of blacks and Hispanics to allow for reliable estimates among these key subgroups.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
FWIW,I have never owned or handled any of those evil devices. I have seen them in movies,though.

Honest!