Author Topic: White House Continues Pushback Against Recession Fears As Americans Struggle  (Read 429 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House Continues Pushback Against Recession Fears As Americans Struggle

Shelby Talcott
Senior White House Correspondent
July 29, 2022 7:30 PM ET

The White House spent days prepping for negative news on the economy and trying to push back on one of the unofficial definitions of a recession. When that news inevitably arrived on Thursday morning, the panic continued, with administration officials doubling down on their declaration that the U.S. is not currently in a recession.

Thursday’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) report indicated that the economy shrank 0.9%, marking a second straight quarter of decline and meeting one of the most common, though not the only, definitions of a recession.

In the days leading up to the report, White House officials sprang into action, going on networks and telling the nation that the economy is still strong and there’s no indication of a recession.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, for one, spent the week fielding questions on the topic from the press. Throughout the week, she repeatedly declared that a second straight quarter of decline is “not the definition” of a recession. At the same time, she declined to detail the administration’s official definition, only noting that they rely on “indicators” used by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER).

The NBER is an independent group of economists who investigate and give analyses on “major economic issues,” according to the non-profit’s website.

Brian Deese, the Director of the National Economic Council, also came out swinging in an effort to try and quell recession fears. He appeared on CNN on Monday and also argued that the incoming GDP report would not indicate a recession, highlighting the jobs created under President Joe Biden.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2022/07/29/white-house-pushback-recession-claims-gdp-report-economists/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"Recession fears"????

I can fit $100 worth of groceries in one bag.

No fear, just dread, because it's here, and it will be here a while.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

The WH trying to spin the recession definition isn’t what’s disturbing as much as the press also adopting the administration’s new definition

Any doubt what the press reaction would be if Trump tried this?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

The WH trying to spin the recession definition isn’t what’s disturbing as much as the press also adopting the administration’s new definition

Any doubt what the press reaction would be if Trump tried this?

Exactly.  And wikipedia put the final nail in the coffin of its own credibility by changing the definition to suit Bidet's politics, and then locking the page so it couldn't be corrected.