Author Topic: HOLY COW: Beef prices set to surge further as farmers sell off cattle herds  (Read 1652 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Beef prices set to surge further as farmers sell off cattle herds
More breeding stock is being sent to the sale barn amid soaring input costs and drought conditions

By Breck Dumas FOXBusiness

U.S. cattle producers are sending higher numbers of breeding stock to the sale barn, and some are liquidating their herds entirely, signaling a trend that analysts say will likely push already-elevated beef prices even higher in the not-too-distant future.

The latest cattle report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture shows the market has contracted to levels not seen in years, with total inventory dropping 2% to 98.8 million head since July 2021.
cattle inventory

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxbusiness.com/foxbusiness.com/content/uploads/2022/07/1862/1046/USDA-cattle-inventory.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

But it's not just the reduction in cattle overall that is of concern. It's what is getting sent to slaughter. There is a notable boost in calf-producing females getting sold for processing in addition to steers, which are typically favored for consumption.

"We are seeing large numbers of female stock have been placed in feedlots," USDA livestock analyst Shayle Shagam said in a radio report for the agency Tuesday.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/beef-prices-set-surge-further-farmers-sell-cattle-herds
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
With the liquidation of herds, there should be at least a short term lowering of prices.  That supply and demand thing, you know. (Unless something's amiss). 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
With the liquidation of herds, there should be at least a short term lowering of prices.  That supply and demand thing, you know. (Unless something's amiss).
Unless the surplus is being sold to the Chinese...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MajorClay

Reducing the breeder cattle; not good

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Unless the surplus is being sold to the Chinese...

True dat!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I know the local locker business is booming with people now getting their beef direct and cheaper by bypassing the stores.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idiot

I know the local locker business is booming with people now getting their beef direct and cheaper by bypassing the stores.
All of my friends are selling their cattle.  There is no water and no grass at all.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
All of my friends are selling their cattle.  There is no water and no grass at all.

We're getting a little droughty here in the Florida of Iowa but for the must part things are still pretty green everywhere.
The Republic is lost.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.

We went through a drought last year in our state. My daughter and her husband had to sell half of their herd. Barely enough rain to make a few hay bales from our hay pasture. Purchase price of bales from elsewhere was RIDICULOUS.
This year we are no longer in a drought and the grass has been plentiful. Son-in-law is out making bales right now.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Offline libertybele

I just replenished our two small freezers with meat and I'm trying to keep them stocked. 

Kansas City steaks are off the grocery list; prices are too high.  Omaha steaks as well.  I'm buying Braveheart Angus which is a little more affordable and it is pretty darn tasty. I bought pork and chicken that was on sale last week for  $2.99 and $3.99/lb.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 10:09:32 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Buy beef now while it remains affordable.

It won't be next year.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

Kroger will have ground sirloin on sale, starting Wednesday, for $3.99/lb., I believe. May as well get a few pounds, form some patties and stick 'em in the freezer.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kroger will have ground sirloin on sale, starting Wednesday, for $3.99/lb., I believe. May as well get a few pounds, form some patties and stick 'em in the freezer.

We just got 2 more chuck roasts and hamburger.....we are out of room and Mike is talking about getting another freezer...that would make 3 ...we will start blowing fuses... :silly:

I may have to get some ground sirloin Wed though... ****slapping
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kroger Weekly Ad August 3 to August 9, 2022
https://weeklyadflyers.com/kroger-flyer/
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

Buy beef now while it remains affordable.

It won't be next year.

Well, if need be, we have dehydrated beef...it won't be the same I know, but still, we'll have beef.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

It's nice to see grocery ads from a different area.  Definitely go for the BOGO meat (pretty hard to pass up). As for that 3rd freezer -- go for it.  888high58888

Offline mountaineer

Our county Republican party is having a meat raffle for 1/4 cow, a grill and a freezer. We've bought six tickets.  :0001:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Our county Republican party is having a meat raffle for 1/4 cow, a grill and a freezer. We've bought six tickets.  :0001:

1/4 cow is a lot for 2 people...good luck!!!
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

How awesome would it be if you won?? I'm hoping that you will win something @mountaineer  :0001:

Offline roamer_1

NOTE: Beef prices should NOT surge further with sell-off.

Beef prices should come way down with the glut hitting the market... in about 30 days or so.

If beef prices do not come down, somebody's messin with the market keeping prices up artificially.

Could be it will go back up again through the winter but prices should come down first.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

From that ad, I wonder why anyone sane would buy roasted chicken breast for $9.49/lb when you can get fresh Angus Sirloin for $3.99/lb?

Only a few people on this board I can think of would even consider it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

From that ad, I wonder why anyone sane would buy roasted chicken breast for $9.49/lb when you can get fresh Angus Sirloin for $3.99/lb?
That's deli meat, but it does seem high.

Offline roamer_1

That's deli meat, but it does seem high.

Deli feeeels like 7 bucks a pound to me... With inflation, 9 bucks is probably legit.

Offline roamer_1

Used to LOVE Turkey Pastrami, because it was only 5 bucks a pound... But I can't find it so easy anymore.

Offline libertybele

Only a few people on this board I can think of would even consider it.

:shrug: Definitely go for the Angus sirloin!