Author Topic: Food inflation surges over 10%. The new costs for family dinners  (Read 1910 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
59 mins ago
Food inflation surges over 10%. The new costs for family dinners
Food-at-home prices increased 12.2% in June

By Daniella Genovese FOXBusiness

Although inflation — which surged to 9.1% in June — is driving up the cost of everyday goods, consumers are feeling a significant amount of pain when it comes to buying food.

According to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) – which is a broad measure of the price for everyday goods – food prices have outpaced overall inflation, rising 10.4% in June compared to a year ago. This takes into account food at home and at restaurants.

Inflation for food-at-home, which accounts for grocery store and supermarket food purchases, rose even higher to 12.2%, underscoring how consumers are not getting much reprieve by trying to cook at home.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) recently raised its forecast on food price increases for 2022. The agency now estimates that all food prices will increase between 8.5% and 9.5% in 2022. Prices for food-away-from-home are expected to increase 6.5% to 7.5%, and prices for food-at-home are predicted to grow 10% to 11%.

Katherine Cullen, the senior director of industry and consumer insights for the National Retail Federation — the nation's largest retail trade group — told FOX Business there are multiple variables ​currently impacting the cost of food.

This includes the war in Ukraine, ongoing shortages in the labor market, fuel costs, droughts and other natural disasters in key markets where wheat and corn are sourced. Those factors drive up the costs of products that rely on those items as well as the cost of animal feed, according to Cullen.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/food-inflation-surges-new-costs-family-dinners
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online LMAO

Re: Food inflation surges over 10%. The new costs for family dinners
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 05:16:25 pm »
Think of the weight Americans are going to lose
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 05:20:05 pm »
Milk up 25% here. That alone bumps prices, but fresh fruit and produce are through the roof. Potatoes over a buck a pound...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 05:30:38 pm »
Milk up 25% here. That alone bumps prices, but fresh fruit and produce are through the roof. Potatoes over a buck a pound...

True story, and that's not even talking about chicken and ground beef. 
 9999hair out0000
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 05:56:10 pm »
Milk up 25% here.

I have taken to using powdered milk for cooking and everything else but drinking.

That alone bumps prices, but fresh fruit and produce are through the roof. Potatoes over a buck a pound...

Thankfully, it is hitting right in the harvest. We are buying flats and 100lb bags (taters) and splitting them between us. Price is up a bit I guess, but nothing like what it is in the stores.

Soon enough we'll have our own.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 06:32:40 pm »
Some food items aren't available at all ... and that's before the loonies have banned fertilizer.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 06:35:14 pm »
So sick and tired of this lying shit be shoveled by the Biden admin. 

Anyone spending any money knows and understands that the true inflation rate is 15-20%

Next week Biden will tell us how lucky we are our inflation rate isn't like Argentina's (70%)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 06:57:15 pm »
So sick and tired of this lying shit be shoveled by the Biden admin. 

Anyone spending any money knows and understands that the true inflation rate is 15-20%

Next week Biden will tell us how lucky we are our inflation rate isn't like Argentina's (70%)

:thumbsup:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 09:29:39 pm »
Told my wife to get ready for beans and rice.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 09:44:43 pm »

I fear you are right. But there ain't nothing wrong with rice and beans. Especially if one adds some cornbread. :laugh:

What makes me wonder are the younger people that think eating at home is a frozen entree from the grocery store. Or that gravy comes from a package? No doubt that some of these folks can cook. But an awful lot of them do not.

It makes me wonder how folks with kids will make it.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 10:21:56 pm »

I fear you are right. But there ain't nothing wrong with rice and beans. Especially if one adds some cornbread. :laugh:

What makes me wonder are the younger people that think eating at home is a frozen entree from the grocery store. Or that gravy comes from a package? No doubt that some of these folks can cook. But an awful lot of them do not.

Beans and rice are even better with a bit of sauteed onion thrown in.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 10:22:40 pm »
Inflation is ridiculous and we've adjusted accordingly for food.  But our biggest cost is electricity; our bill has skyrocketed 75% and rumor has it we are expecting to get hit with yet another increase.  The local ice-cream shop has said that his bill has gone from $920/month to $2,750/mo.  He can't sell his ice-cream for over $10 a scoop and he won't be able to stay in business.

It's just the two of us and we keep our air at 78.  :shrug:

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 10:26:23 pm »
Inflation is ridiculous and we've adjusted accordingly for food.  But our biggest cost is electricity; our bill has skyrocketed 75% and rumor has it we are expecting to get hit with yet another increase.  The local ice-cream shop has said that his bill has gone from $920/month to $2,750/mo.  He can't sell his ice-cream for over $10 a scoop and he won't be able to stay in business.

It's just the two of us and we keep our air at 78.  :shrug:

What you’re feeling is what every other American is feeling outside the connected class. These people in charge are digging their political graves especially when they continue to tell the public they aren’t seeing what they’re seeing and everything is dandy

Unfortunately, we’re gonna have to suffer in the meantime
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 10:27:23 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 12:10:12 am »

Red beans and rice... a little hot sausage if you've got it... and a cornbread on the side... I could eat that every day.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 12:12:54 am »
Y'all need to send the old man out fishing... I think I have nearly as much in meals of fish as I do chicken.

And I ain't letting up. I could put up a half a year in fish before the snow hits.

And fishing is FUN.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2022, 12:18:20 am »
Y'all need to send the old man out fishing... I think I have nearly as much in meals of fish as I do chicken.

And I ain't letting up. I could put up a half a year in fish before the snow hits.

And fishing is FUN.

Fishing is fun. It's been awhile, but we fish off of our seawall.  They get thrown back in because I am not a fish lover.  Give me beef.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2022, 12:23:11 am »
Fishing is fun. It's been awhile, but we fish off of our seawall.  They get thrown back in because I am not a fish lover.  Give me beef.

No doubt I would prefer Buffalo, moose, beef, elk or deer... But rainbow, cutthroat, or brook trout ain't nothing to sneeze at... Especially when they're free, and I get to go fishing every morning for 2 hrs. There ain't no downside to that at all.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2022, 12:25:33 am »

@berdie I don't know how families with kids are making it either.  Those with kids were getting some kind of a tax break or some sort of money per each child but I don't know if that has continued.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2022, 12:31:41 am »
No doubt I would prefer Buffalo, moose, beef, elk or deer... But rainbow, cutthroat, or brook trout ain't nothing to sneeze at... Especially when they're free, and I get to go fishing every morning for 2 hrs. There ain't no downside to that at all.

@roamer_1  you have a wonderful life that's for sure and definitely can't sneeze at fresh free food.  As a kid we use to eat fish that my Dad would bring home; smoked trout or Walleye as I recall was pretty darn good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2022, 12:40:19 am »
@roamer_1  you have a wonderful life that's for sure and definitely can't sneeze at fresh free food.  As a kid we use to eat fish that my Dad would bring home; smoked trout or Walleye as I recall was pretty darn good.

@libertybele

Yeah... once things calm down, I will thaw out about half of this trout and do a hot pepper/mustard/honey glaze (throw it through the smoke)... Leave the rest for pan frying or baking... But yeah... you put a honey glaze and smoke on a trout it turns to candy   :beer:

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2022, 01:32:31 am »
@libertybele

Yeah... once things calm down, I will thaw out about half of this trout and do a hot pepper/mustard/honey glaze (throw it through the smoke)... Leave the rest for pan frying or baking... But yeah... you put a honey glaze and smoke on a trout it turns to candy   :beer:

I suppose you think tartar sauce is heresy.  happy77
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Online roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2022, 01:41:49 am »

Not for fish sticks...  :laugh:

I take it you've never had rainbow trout or kokanee (land-locked sockeye) salmon smoked in a honey mustard glaze...

It is by far the best fish you will ever eat.

And no... no tartar sauce. That would be a sin.  :laugh:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2022, 01:59:41 am »

I can no longer eat tartar sauce and I love lots and lots of lemon on my fish -- I can't eat lemons anymore either, so a big reason why I don't eat fish anymore.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2022, 04:05:19 am »
Told my internist that my diet consisted of beans and rice for the most part when heasked and he told me that’s no good for my diabetes. I told him It wasn’t by choice but because Biden was bad for my wallet, his response was to tell me to eat less of it…REALLY?!!