Author Topic: Manchin says he reached deal with Schumer on taxes, climate  (Read 1657 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Manchin says he reached deal with Schumer on taxes, climate
by Aris Folley and Rachel Frazin - 07/27/22 5:05 PM ET

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) announced on Wednesday that he struck a deal with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) on legislation to advance key pieces of President Biden’s agenda, including measures aimed taxing the wealthy, lowering drug prices and combating climate change.

“I strongly support the passage of commonsense policies that reduce inflation and focus on the major challenges confronting America today and in the future,” Manchin said in a statement.

“I now propose and will vote for the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. Rather than risking more inflation with trillions in new spending, this bill will cut the inflation taxes Americans are paying, lower the cost of health insurance and prescription drugs, and ensure our country invests in the energy security and climate change solutions we need to remain a global superpower through innovation rather than elimination,” he added.

The announcement comes after Manchin had previously backed away from talks relating to climate and tax provisions, saying he’d rather focus on lowering drug costs.

This story is developing and will be updated.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3576899-manchin-says-he-reached-deal-with-schumer-on-taxes-climate/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Kamaji

Re: Manchin says he reached deal with Schumer on taxes, climate
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 09:11:51 pm »
So, somebody finally figured out how to pay off Manchin.

I guarantee you that this bill will not reduce inflation.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 09:19:00 pm »
My wallet already feels a little lighter hearing this news.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 09:26:20 pm »
My wallet already feels a little lighter hearing this news.

See, they're already fighting inflation by preventing your wallet from overinflating with too much money!
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 10:28:58 pm »
So, somebody finally figured out how to pay off Manchin.
I guarantee you that this bill will not reduce inflation.
Trust me, the Manchin family have a long history and are quite well-versed in receiving political payoffs. Can we please finally stop thinking he's a conservative or that he really should change parties?

Clay Travis
@ClayTravis
Joe Manchin just ended his political career by supporting a massive tax increase with our country at a forty year inflation high and a recession underway. Disastrous policy. Which West Virginia Republican will replace him in 2024? He has to retire now. Election won’t be close.
6:16 PM · Jul 27, 2022
I was hoping Joe would choose to retire in 2024, but it's probably too lucrative a gig. Not sure who in the WVGOP might stand a chance against him. Sorry, Clay, but the voters in my state are, for the most part, too uninformed to worry about Joe's latest hypocrisy.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 10:43:30 pm »
Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and centrist Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on Wednesday said they had agreed to a $670 billion deal on Democratic priorities — weeks after Manchin seemingly had scuttled any chance of an agreement with hesitancy over inflation.

The new deal is a fraction of the more than $3 trillion deal once envisioned by liberal Democrats, but could give the party a big win ahead of the midterm elections when the House and Senate majorities are on the line.

The bill would invest $369 billion in energy climate programs over the next 10 years and $300 billion to reduce the deficit. It would be added to legislation to lower prescription drug prices and extend expiring health care subsidies. 

The deal will be part of the budget reconciliation package that Senate Democrats plan to bring to the floor next week and pass on a party-line vote, circumventing a Republican filibuster under special Senate rules.

“After many months of negotiations, we have finalized legislative text that will invest approximately $300 billion in deficit reduction and $369.75 billion in energy security and climate change programs over the next ten years,” Schumer and Manchin announced in a joint statement. “The investments will be fully paid for by closing tax loopholes on wealthy individuals and corporations.”

The deal would raise $739 billion in new revenue through a variety of proposals, according to a one-page summary provided by the negotiators.

It would raise $313 billion by implementing a 15-percent corporate minimum tax, $288 billion from empowering Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices, $124 billion from strong IRS enforcement of tax law and $14 billion from closing the carried interest loophole for money managers. 

It would spend $369 billion on energy security and climate change and $64 billion to extend health care subsidies under the Affordable Care Act.

It would allocate $300 billion to reduce the deficit. 

Schumer and Manchin in their joint statement said the agreement will reduce emissions by roughly 40 percent by 2030. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3576965-manchin-schumer-announce-slimmed-down-670-billion-deal/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 10:49:22 pm »
If you think Ukraine is pi$$ing away money that could be used on the Border, take a look at this.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 11:09:47 pm »
Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and centrist Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on Wednesday said they had agreed to a $670 billion deal on Democratic priorities — weeks after Manchin seemingly had scuttled any chance of an agreement with hesitancy over inflation.

The new deal is a fraction of the more than $3 trillion deal once envisioned by liberal Democrats, but could give the party a big win ahead of the midterm elections when the House and Senate majorities are on the line.

The bill would invest $369 billion in energy climate programs over the next 10 years and $300 billion to reduce the deficit. It would be added to legislation to lower prescription drug prices and extend expiring health care subsidies. 

The deal will be part of the budget reconciliation package that Senate Democrats plan to bring to the floor next week and pass on a party-line vote, circumventing a Republican filibuster under special Senate rules.

“After many months of negotiations, we have finalized legislative text that will invest approximately $300 billion in deficit reduction and $369.75 billion in energy security and climate change programs over the next ten years,” Schumer and Manchin announced in a joint statement. “The investments will be fully paid for by closing tax loopholes on wealthy individuals and corporations.”

The deal would raise $739 billion in new revenue through a variety of proposals, according to a one-page summary provided by the negotiators.

It would raise $313 billion by implementing a 15-percent corporate minimum tax, $288 billion from empowering Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices, $124 billion from strong IRS enforcement of tax law and $14 billion from closing the carried interest loophole for money managers. 

It would spend $369 billion on energy security and climate change and $64 billion to extend health care subsidies under the Affordable Care Act.

Schumer and Manchin in their joint statement said the agreement will reduce emissions by roughly 40 percent by 2030. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3576965-manchin-schumer-announce-slimmed-down-670-billion-deal/
This is all complete BS! If anyone believes this is going to be be paid for I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'll sell real cheap.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 12:36:57 am »
 Biden throws support behind Manchin-Schumer agreement
by Brett Samuels - 07/27/22 6:26 PM ET

President Biden on Wednesday embraced a deal between Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) to revive key pieces of his agenda, including provisions on health care, prescription drugs and climate change.

“This afternoon, I spoke with Senators Schumer and Manchin and offered my support for the agreement they have reached on a bill to fight inflation and lower costs for American families,” Biden said in a statement. 

Schumer and Manchin earlier Wednesday said they had agreed to a $670 billion deal on Democratic priorities — weeks after Manchin seemingly had scuttled any chance of an agreement with hesitancy over inflation.

Biden touted that the agreed upon bill, details of which were still being finalized, would help lower health insurance costs for millions of Americans under the Affordable Care Act, would lower the cost of prescription drugs and would provide tax credits to promote clean energy.

The bill would also adjust the tax code to close loopholes for corporations and the wealthiest Americans.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3577060-biden-throws-support-behind-manchin-schumer-agreement/
Support the USO

Offline LMAO

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 12:50:24 am »
From the article…

I now propose and will vote for the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022.

Is this a joke?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 01:25:58 am »
 July 27, 2022 8:17pm EDT
Lawmakers react after Manchin, Schumer agree to reconciliation deal: 'Build Back Broke'
Tennessee Sen. Marsha Blackburn tweeted 'Build Back Broke' in response to the deal struck by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin

By Adam Sabes | Fox News

Republicans aren't pleased with the prospect of a revived version of Build Back Better after Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va. and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced they came to an agreement on a reconciliation package.

While some details of the reconciliation package are unclear, Manchin said in a statement that the bill will contain a minimum 15% tax on companies worth more than $1 billion and will also have investments in energy, which include nuclear, renewables and fossil fuels.

Manchin said the bill will be titled the "Inflation Reduction Act of 2022."

"I now propose and will vote for the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. Rather than risking more inflation with trillions in new spending, this bill will cut the inflation taxes Americans are paying, lower the cost of health insurance and prescription drugs, and ensure our country invests in the energy security and climate change solutions," Manchin said. "President Biden, Leader Schumer and Speaker Pelosi have committed to advancing a suite of commonsense permitting reforms this fall."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lawmakers-react-manchin-schumer-agree-reconciliation-deal
Support the USO

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 01:41:22 am »
I'm guessing our dear congressmen will not be among those targeted by the IRS in order to pay for this crap.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 01:48:45 am »
@mystery-ak

Manchin says he reached deal with Schumer on taxes, climate

Gee,a Dim agreeing to go along with the Dim leadership?

THAT's a shocker,huh?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 02:23:27 am »
From the article…

I now propose and will vote for the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022.

Is this a joke?

A joke on us, yes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 02:24:45 am »

Bullshit.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 03:25:48 am »
@mystery-ak

Gee,a Dim agreeing to go along with the Dim leadership?

THAT's a shocker,huh?

Let the Democrats own this and the results
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 04:26:32 am »
They will find some way to blame it on the GOP. The GOP will say SORRY IT'S ALL OUR FAULT.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 04:32:45 am »
So which ten Republican Senators will vote for cloture?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 12:57:38 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 01:32:31 pm »
So which ten Republican Senators will vote for cloture?
They don't need any RINOs. It's a reconciliation bill.

TO THE MODERATORS:  How many more of the same threads do we need on this?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2022, 12:03:41 pm »
They don't need any RINOs. It's a reconciliation bill.

Per House rules, a reconciliation bill cannot contain a tax increase.  Also per House rules, there is no limit to the number of amendments that can be considered provided that each one is read in full before the House.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2022, 05:07:15 pm »
 pointing-down  (He talks about Manchin toward the end ....)

"Jesse Watters drops BRUTAL 5 count indictment on Biden Regime over their complete LIES and FAILURES after Brandon crashes US economy into RECESSION"  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1553038402349678593