Author Topic: ‘New Cold War’: Russia and West vie for influence in Africa  (Read 211 times)

rebewranger

‘New Cold War’: Russia and West vie for influence in Africa
By ANDREW MELDRUM and MOGOMOTSI MAGOME
yesterday

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Russian, French and American leaders are crisscrossing Africa to win support for their positions on the war in Ukraine, waging what some say is the most intense competition for influence on the continent since the Cold War.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and French President Emmanuel Macron are each visiting several African countries this week. Samantha Power, head of the U.S. Agency for International Development, went to Kenya and Somalia last week. The U.S. ambassador to the U.N., Linda Thomas-Greenfield, will go to Ghana and Uganda next week.

“It’s like a new Cold War is playing out in Africa, where the rival sides are trying to gain influence,” said William Gumede, director of Democracy Works, a foundation promoting good governance.

https://apnews.com/article/new-cold-war-africa-2835929157959a9ef276290c8c9ecfa1

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: ‘New Cold War’: Russia and West vie for influence in Africa
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 11:44:32 am »
China is already heavily invested in looting African mineral resources, so I wonder who is going to have how much influence there. Of course, the Russians may be setting up deals to deliver stolen Ukrainian grain, too...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis