Author Topic: Bidenpression: U.S. GDP Shrinks 0.9 Percent in Second Quarter  (Read 843 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bidenpression: U.S. GDP Shrinks 0.9 Percent in Second Quarter

John Carney 28 Jul 2022

The U.S. economy contracted in the second quarter of 2022 as the economy was battered by four-decade high inflation, record high fuel prices, soaring food costs, and tighter monetary policy.

The government reported Thursday that Gross Domestic Product shrank by 0.9 percent in the April through June period. Economists had expected the economy to grow by 0.3 percent, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The economy contracted by 1.6 percent in the second quarter. Many Americans consider two straight quarters of recession to be the marker of a recession. Economists, however, rely on the determination of the National Bureau of Economic Research to say when a recession starts. The NBER has a more complex and subjective definition of recessions and typically does not declare a recession until several months after it has begun.

The decrease in GDP reflected decreases in private inventory investment, residential fixed investment, federal government spending, state and local government spending, and nonresidential fixed investment. These were partly offset by increases in exports and household spending.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2022/07/28/bidencession-u-s-gdp-shrinks-0-9-percent-in-second-quarter/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Bidenpression: U.S. GDP Shrinks 0.9 Percent in Second Quarter
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 01:44:52 pm »
 US GDP falls for second-straight quarter, stoking recession fears
by Sylvan Lane - 07/28/22 8:35 AM ET

U.S. gross domestic product (GDP) shrunk between April and June, according to data released Thursday by the Commerce Department, marking the second-straight quarter of economic contraction.

GDP fell at a yearly pace of 0.9 percent in the second quarter, according to the Commerce Department’s first estimate of economic growth over the previous three months. Put simply, the U.S. economy would shrink by nearly 1 percent if the second quarter’s pace of growth lasted for an entire year.

Most economists expected GDP to fall for the second consecutive quarter as the economy faced more pressure from high inflation, rising interest rates, slowing job growth, falling home sales and other headwinds.

While the economy was almost certain to slow after growing 5.7 percent in 2021, experts have become more fearful of the U.S. slipping into recession after GDP fell at an annualized rate of 1.6 percent in the first quarter.

Two straight quarters of negative economic growth have long been used as a rule of thumb to determine when the U.S. is in recession and is the formal threshold for a recession in other countries. But economists in the U.S. consider a broader range of data when determining if the U.S. is in recession.

The U.S. has added 2.7 million jobs since the start of 2022 and consumer spending has continued to increase even amid high inflation. Economists say it may too soon to know if the U.S. is in recession, if at all, given the strength of the job market.

A steep decline in business investment and a 3.1-percent surge of imports, which detract from GDP in calculations, were the two major forces behind the second quarter decline.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3577638-us-gdp-falls-for-second-straight-quarter/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 02:20:39 pm »
Biden Admin economist, Art Vandelay ...

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 02:46:09 pm »
After watching  the influx of 2Q earnings reports the past 2 weeks, I have no doubt these numbers were cooked.

0.9% my ass.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 03:05:19 pm »
Watching some of the press, including the financial press, desperately trying to spin and redefine things for this administration would be laughable if the impacts weren’t so negative

The good news is the general public is not buying any of it
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 01:03:08 am »
Say it often, say it loud: #BidenRecession
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 01:37:28 am »
Say it often, say it loud: #BidenRecession

I've been saying it for a while, only Bidenomics.  I run across people who are still stupid enough to think it's all Putin's fault. (Lame brains that I have little patience for).
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 02:49:39 am »
I've been saying it for a while, only Bidenomics.  I run across people who are still stupid enough to think it's all Putin's fault. (Lame brains that I have little patience for).

500 years from now, the term Bidened will be dictionary synonymous with failure. 

Kind of like Munsoned from Kingpin.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.