Author Topic: The Latest Out-Of-Control Chinese Rocket Now Has An Impact Window  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Forbes by Eric Mack 7/26/2022

China’s latest space mission was a success, sending the new Wentian lab module to its Tiangong space station, but the Long March 5B rocket booster (also referred to as a CZ-5B) that sent it to orbit is set to make an impact of its own... literally.

The CZ-5B is the Chinese space program’s most powerful rocket, but it seems to have a rather significant design oversight: it lacks the capability to negotiate a controlled re-entry into Earth’s atmosphere.

Instead, the 23-ton, 10-story rocket spends a little while circling the Earth as our planet’s gravity gradually pulls it back towards a completely unplanned and uncontrolled re-entry.

It was clear almost immediately after Wentian was deployed that a CZ-5B would be going out in a ball of fire eventually. And now we have a rough idea of when.

More: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2022/07/26/the-latest-out-of-control-chinese-rocket-now-has-an-impact-window/?sh=5bb4fdee40f2

The Aerospace Corporation
@AerospaceCorp

Our latest prediction for #CZ5B rocket body reentry is:  🚀 31 Jul 2022 07:34 UTC ± 22 hours

Reentry will be along one of the ground tracks shown here. It is still too early to determine a meaningful debris footprint. Follow this page for updates: 
https://aerospace.org/reentries/cz-5

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Latest Out-Of-Control Chinese Rocket Now Has An Impact Window
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 11:31:25 pm »
‘Massive’ Chinese rocket debris to crash land in US this weekend

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/07/massive-chinese-rocket-debris-to-crash-land-in-us-this-weekend/

Pieces of a Chinese Long March 5B rocket are expected to crash into Earth this weekend, likely spreading debris around the world, including the United States.

California-based federally subsidized nonprofit Aerospace Corporation reported Tuesday that experts at the Center for Orbital and Reentry Debris Studies (CORDS) are closely monitoring the “massive” 23-metric-ton rocket booster’s uncontrolled reentry.

The group believes the debris will land in a populated area “due to the uncontrolled nature of its descent” and the fact that “over 88 percent of the world’s population lives under the reentry’s potential debris footprint.”

“If this sounds familiar, it’s because similar uncontrolled reentries of Long March rockets occurred in 2020 and 2021. A reentry of this size will not burn up in the Earth’s atmosphere, and the general rule of thumb is that 20–40 percent of the mass of a large object will reach the ground, though it depends on the design of the object,” the group stated.

More at link.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 11:59:48 am »
 :bkmk:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 01:14:21 pm »
Long March 5B to crash back to earth this weekend

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/long-march-5b-to-crash-to-earth/

Global south in the firing line of rocket module once again.

Give or take 16 hours, the 23-tonne rocket booster of a Long March 5B rocket will re-enter Earth’s atmosphere at 12:24am GMT on Sunday morning.

The core stage of China’s recent launch of its Wentian module to the Tiangong Space Station could, theoretically, land anywhere between 42 degrees north and south of the equator.

US-based Aerospace Corporation tracks rocket and payload in orbit and says that the rocket body – of which roughly four to nine tonnes is expected to survive re-entry and reach the surface – is currently predicted to land somewhere in the middle east.

That prediction will be refined as the rocket body gets closer to re-entry, although Aerospace Corp notes that a re-entry location could occur anywhere along the blue or yellow ground tracks indicated on its prediction map.
A map of the world with predicted re-entry ground tracks for the long march 5b-y3 rocket core.

Predicted re-entry ground tracks for the Long March 5B-Y3 rocket core as at 29 July 2022 / Credit: Aerospace Corporation

This is the third uncontrolled Long March 5B core re-entry

More at link.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 01:26:29 pm »
Eventually, the Chinese are going to kill a lot of people when one of these things lands in a densely populated area.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 01:39:58 pm »
So, the Chi-coms are littering?

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 01:52:30 pm »
Well, it's been nice knowing you all.  :seeya:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 02:29:13 pm »
Should we have a Poll for where it's gunna hit?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 02:51:54 pm »
If it hits land I can hear CNN news readers saying, "Sum Ting Wong," "Ho Lee Fuk," and "Bang Ding Ow."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 03:14:08 pm »

Sure, why not!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 05:37:02 pm »
So, the Chi-coms are littering?

:bigsilly: Iron Eyes Cody, the most famous fake Indian...until Elizabeth Warren.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 05:39:19 pm »
:pondering: Sunday, eh? Am I bad if I hope it's a certain residence in Delaware :whistle:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 01:00:56 pm »
https://www.space.com/chinese-rocket-booster-third-uncontrolled-reentry

The roughly 25-ton (23 metric tons) rocket stage, which launched on July 24 to deliver the Wentian laboratory cabin module to China's incomplete Tiangong space station, is predicted to reenter Earth's atmosphere on July 30 at 12:15 p.m. ET, give or take 1 hours, according to researchers at The Aerospace Corporation's Center for Orbital and Reentry Debris Studies (opens in new tab).

Exactly where it will land is unknown, but the possible debris field includes the U.S., India, Australia, Africa, Brazil and Southeast Asia, according to The Aerospace Corporation (opens in new tab), a U.S. government-funded nonprofit research center based in California.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 01:03:37 pm »
Exactly where it will land is unknown  ... well, I hope it isn't Steubenville, because I'm going shopping.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 01:06:45 pm »
I still have my Hardhat from our big Sky Lab party back in 1979, so I'm good.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2022, 01:56:00 pm »
Live Track: Out-Of Control Chinese Rocket Crash Into Earth

The Launch Pad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0SMa85OwUU

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 01:06:53 pm »
Debris from ‘uncontrolled’ 23-ton Chinese rocket falls over Indian Ocean

By Rich Calder
July 30, 2022

Debris from a massive Chinese rocket made its uncontrolled return to Earth on Saturday over the Indian Ocean, according to the US Space Command.

The debris was spotted by US Space Command at 12:45 pm. Aerospace experts had been tracking the debris for days because it was unclear when — and where — it would land.

The Chinese Manned Space Agency insisted most of the debris had burned up on re-entry over the Sulu Sea, between the island of Borneo and the Philippines, according to the New York Times, which cited updates on the social networking site Weibo.

The debris was part of a 23-ton, 10-story rocket called Long March 5B, which China jettisoned into orbit on July 24 to deliver a lab module to its Tiangong space station.

Two previous launches of the Long March 5B rocket had uncontrolled reentries, with debris landing near the west coast of Africa in 2020 and in the Indian Ocean in 2021.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/07/30/debris-from-uncontrolled-23-ton-chinese-rocket-falls-over-indian-ocean/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2022, 03:20:52 pm »
"I shoot a rocket up in the air, where it falls, nobody cares."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: