Author Topic: Life lessons we can learn from Joni Mitchell’s viral ‘Both Sides, Now’ performance  (Read 1846 times)

Online libertybele

This moved me to tears.  I remember hearing this in my younger years; now after suffering a brain aneurysm, Joni Mitchell performs when of her famous classics.  (Video @ link below)

Life lessons we can learn from Joni Mitchell’s viral ‘Both Sides, Now’ performance

It took Joni Mitchell more than a half-century to deliver the definitive version of “Both Sides, Now,” her signature song from 1969 — but was it ever worth the wait.

I’m talking about Mitchell’s performance at the Newport Folk Festival last weekend, a video of which has gone viral. Seated in an ornate chair, the 78-year-old folk-rock icon and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer sings the reflective tune while joined occasionally by Brandi Carlisle, Wynonna Judd and others. The lyrics are delivered intently, almost to the point that it’s crushing to listen.

The song was always a tough pill to swallow, in a sense — it’s an exercise in realizing the follies of one’s youth. But to hear it come from Mitchell at this stage in her life — and knowing that she suffered a brain aneurysm a few years ago — is to hear it fully realized. I defy you to watch the video and not shed a few tears..............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/life-lessons-we-can-learn-from-joni-mitchells-viral-both-sides-now-performance-11658871836
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:46:19 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 12:10:41 am by libertybele »

Offline roamer_1

Brings to mind Johnny Cash and his rendition of Hurt.

... Wholly a different and more honest take that 9IN could never understand n its youth. Johnny Cash owns that song.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Her voice has matured into a wonderful husky baritone.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online berdie

Her voice has matured into a wonderful husky baritone.

It has. And one can tell that the song has more meaning to her now...as it does me.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

... Wholly a different and more honest take that 9IN could never understand n its youth. Johnny Cash owns that song.

Reznor has pretty much acknowledged that true.  As has Paul Simon on Disturb's version of "Sounds of Silence"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

[...] As has Paul Simon on Disturb's version of "Sounds of Silence"

That's right too... And I do not say that lightly. NOBODY covers Simon and Garfunkel. Except Disturbed.

Offline goatprairie

Hurt? Mississippi John Hurt?

Offline roamer_1

Hurt? Mississippi John Hurt?

@goatprairie

No. Nine Inch Nails - A Seattle grunge group did a song called Hurt.

A whiny, petulant, self-absorbed, drug induced song, that none the less, became a hit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-bLdf8Bsw

Johnny Cash covered it - I think the last song he ever did... And totally changed the tone of it... looking back over life from the poignant last thoughts of age.

Cash flatly owns the song. Undeniable,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZTRGiI

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 01:45:46 am by roamer_1 »

Offline goatprairie

Cash was able to do a variety of styles other than country. He was an excellent interpreter of standard folk songs.
"The Ballad Of Ira Hayes" is not actually  a real folk song (more like a neo-folk song like Bob Dylan's "folk" songs), but it is many times put in that category.
Nobody can sing it like Cash who was actually part Indian.
And his rendition of "John Henry" is the best I've ever heard.

Offline roamer_1

Cash was able to do a variety of styles other than country. He was an excellent interpreter of standard folk songs.
"The Ballad Of Ira Hayes" is not actually  a real folk song (more like a neo-folk song like Bob Dylan's "folk" songs), but it is many times put in that category.
Nobody can sing it like Cash who was actually part Indian.
And his rendition of "John Henry" is the best I've ever heard.

I know every word of both 'Ira Hayes' and 'John Henry'

You are officially preaching to the choir.  :beer:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:43:30 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I will take zero 'life lessons' from Joni Mitchell.

A good part of my Gen X identity is flipping the bird at dingy hold hippie-marxists like her.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

I will take zero 'life lessons' from Joni Mitchell.

A good part of my Gen X identity is flipping the bird at dingy hold hippie-marxists like her.

Well, whatever floats your boat.  Not that I was ever a 'Joni Mitchell' fan, but I do admire her for learning how to sing and play guitar again after a long recovery from a stroke...that's quite a lesson and takes a lot of work and a whole lot of courage to come on stage even with some obvious remaining disabilities.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:00:42 pm by libertybele »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Well, whatever floats your boat.  Not that I was ever a 'Joni Mitchell' fan, but I do admire her for learning how to sing and play guitar again after a long recovery from a stroke...that's quite a lesson and takes a lot of work and a whole lot of courage to come on stage even with some obvious remaining disabilities.

Unfortunately Joni and her ilk filled my beaker completely full of bilge and got the 'you're done' long ago. There's just no more ear to listen left for her.
The Republic is lost.

Online berdie

Unfortunately Joni and her ilk filled my beaker completely full of bilge and got the 'you're done' long ago. There's just no more ear to listen left for her.

Consider the era. She was/is a very talented musician and writer. I can't say I was a huge Joni fan back in the day. But I have learned what she had.

Besides...what new musicians are any better? And possibly worse?

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
I kinda enjoyed “Free Man in Paris”. Wasn’t too preachy.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I used to like Roberta Joan.

Back in 1969, she was at the Fillmore East with Buddy Guy and the James Cotton Blues Band as openers.

Four shows, Saturday and Sunday nights.
I went to all four... just to see her.

Offline goatprairie

I've bought exactly one Mitchell album ........many years ago "For The Roses." Not exactly an electrifying album....I almost fell asleep before I finished listening to it.
Mitchell wrote a lot of I guess what could be called "introspective" songs. Some people might call them soporific. At any rate most of the songs on the album sounded the same.
Never a huge fan anyway of her hits, but so what....there were a lot of other musicians worth listening to other than her. No loss.