Author Topic: Biden Proposes 500,000 Acre Wind Farm Off Galveston Coast  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Biden Proposes 500,000 Acre Wind Farm Off Galveston Coast
« on: July 26, 2022, 11:48:02 am »
Texas Scorecard by  Katy Drollinger | July 25, 2022

The project will cover an area larger than the city of Houston.

As Texas’ power grid struggles to keep up with record-breaking heat waves, the Biden Administration unveiled plans to build a 546,645 acre wind farm 24 miles off the coast of Galveston.

President Joe Biden designated the massive acreage as a “Wind Energy Area” and directed federal officials to lease the expanse to a wind energy company. The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM), a branch of the Department of the Interior, claims the project will produce enough energy to power 2.3 million homes.

In October 2021, the Department of the Interior highlighted 30 million acres in the Gulf of Mexico as potential wind farm sites. After listening to public comments and reviewing possible impacts on marine life in the gulf, the department cut the proposed area down to 734,688 acres.

The updated plan also includes a 188,023 acre wind farm 56 miles off the shore of Lake Charles, Louisiana. Both initiatives are part of President Joe Biden’s recent push to shift U.S. energy reliance away from oil and natural gas. Last year Biden set a goal to produce 30 gigawatts of offshore wind energy by 2030, which the administration claims could power 10 million homes, a mere 7 percent of the total number of U.S. homes.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/federal/biden-proposes-500000-acre-wind-farm-off-galveston-coast/

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Biden Proposes 500,000 Acre Wind Farm Off Galveston Coast
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 12:12:32 pm »
I can't think of a more appropriate use for a vast amount of taxpayer funds.

Yes, let's place a colony of fragile mechanical devices in the path of hurricane-force winds, 40-foot waves, frequent lightning strikes, and endangered bird species.

That way, we can generate an insignificant and unreliable amount of electrical power, but make rich elitists with their own power generators feel noble while jetting between mansions.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 01:37:52 pm »
Designating the area does not mean these things will be constructed.

Absent from article is exactly who will be building these.

Will Joe get Chinese support?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 01:41:01 pm »
Will they be hurricane-resistant?  Historically, Galveston has been hit by major hurricanes.

The choice of location is interesting ... in Governor Abbott's backyard and in the backyard of the oil and natural gas industry.

Could the area disgnated for windfarms still be available for oil and natural gas development?  This could be a move to block more offshore oil and gas development.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 01:49:28 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 04:56:06 pm »
Will they be hurricane-resistant?  Historically, Galveston has been hit by major hurricanes.

The choice of location is interesting ... in Governor Abbott's backyard and in the backyard of the oil and natural gas industry.

Could the area disgnated for windfarms still be available for oil and natural gas development?  This could be a move to block more offshore oil and gas development.
Interesting thought.  Likely to be the case knowing this motley crew of misfits directing things.
China scores once again.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 08:06:55 pm »
I can't think of a more appropriate use for a vast amount of taxpayer funds.

Yes, let's place a colony of fragile mechanical devices in the path of hurricane-force winds, 40-foot waves, frequent lightning strikes, and endangered bird species.

That way, we can generate an insignificant and unreliable amount of electrical power, but make rich elitists with their own power generators feel noble while jetting between mansions.

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 08:10:17 pm »
Designating the area does not mean these things will be constructed.

Absent from article is exactly who will be building these.

Will Joe get Chinese support?

More than likely.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 08:28:42 pm »
So what happens when a Cat 5 storm surge brings those things ashore like high speed water driven bull-dozers?

Stupid envirowhackos never think things through worth a damn.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 09:16:05 pm »
Viz. storms and hurricanes:  one of the basic problems is that too much wind will overspin these things, so they have to be shut down, which means they won't be a source of power at one of the times where power is needed.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 09:20:04 pm »
Viz. storms and hurricanes:  one of the basic problems is that too much wind will overspin these things, so they have to be shut down, which means they won't be a source of power at one of the times where power is needed.

That's true.  And another storm related hazard, they haven't thought of......

Those turbines and standing structures that aren't washing ashore are going to be be subsurface shipping hazards.  Just wait until a ship or a barge snags one of these and a 100,000 gallons of product leaks out.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 09:24:51 pm »
Interesting.  Here's a paper on the hurricane risks associated with offshore wind turbines.  The paper notes that along the Gulf Coast, the risk of a wind turbine farm being destroyed by a hurricane is 30%, as compared to the 10% risk for much of the Atlantic coast.

In other words, this designated area is in one of the higher risk areas for hurricane damage.

The paper:  https://www.cmu.edu/ceic/assets/docs/publications/working-papers/ceic-12-01.pdf

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 09:30:06 pm »
Interesting.  Here's a paper on the hurricane risks associated with offshore wind turbines.  The paper notes that along the Gulf Coast, the risk of a wind turbine farm being destroyed by a hurricane is 30%, as compared to the 10% risk for much of the Atlantic coast.

In other words, this designated area is in one of the higher risk areas for hurricane damage.

The paper:  https://www.cmu.edu/ceic/assets/docs/publications/working-papers/ceic-12-01.pdf

Amazing, back when we were conducting RMP's and hazard assessments, 1/10,000 risk was often not acceptable if it meant catastrophic results.  Usually forcing further mitigation.

And 3/10 cuts it?   **nononono*

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 02:43:43 am »
Windmills?  Really?  Construction should be underway on several nuclear plants.  I can't believe the energy situation has been so mismanaged in Texas, and it's about to get much worse. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 02:46:42 am »
The only thing dumber than wind power is offshore wind power.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2022, 02:48:28 am »
Windmills?  Really?  Construction should be underway on several nuclear plants.  I can't believe the energy situation has been so mismanaged in Texas, and it's about to get much worse.

:yowsa: I very much agree with you @cato potatoe
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 09:41:05 am »

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 11:04:25 am »

Build it off Rehoboth Beach instead.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 04:54:18 pm »
Build it off Rehoboth Beach instead.
Yep, it will certainly improve the view for these mansions, won't it?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2022, 05:05:42 pm »
Yep, it will certainly improve the view for these mansions, won't it?

From a risk managment perspective, it'd make more sense, since these areas are (1) less prone to hurricanes on a frequency basis, and (2) Less prone to Major Hurricanes (Cat 3 or larger) than areas in the GOM.

We'll all hold our breaths to that happens though right?....    :cool:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2022, 05:10:22 pm »
I know a few beach house owners down on Crystal Beach.  Think I'll put the seed in the minds to organize and initiate a class action suit to prevent this by stressing the safety concerns (mentioned above) and the property value loss (scenic degradation).

I think for the rest of my life,  I am going to be an Anti-GND warrior, and do everything in my power to obstruct and destroy their efforts.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2022, 07:04:15 pm »
Did they ever install windmills off of Hyannis? Or did Ted Kennedy's loud NIMBYing pay off for the Kennedys and their neighbors?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2022, 07:21:53 pm »
Cape Wind is still a twinkle in someone's eye.

Economics (electricity too expensive) and NIMBY's conspired against it.

Good riddance.  It was a terrible idea because of the location and expense.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2022, 07:36:45 pm »
And when there's not hurricanes, isn't the Gulf known for going stretches without alot of wind?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:37:48 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2022, 07:39:30 pm »
And when there's not hurricanes, isn't the Gulf known for going stretches without alot of wind?

DC sure ain't Maybe that's a better place.  :whistle: :silly: