Author Topic: University of Michigan medical students walk out of pro-life speaker's keynote address  (Read 1758 times)

Offline cato potatoe

Dozens of incoming University of Michigan Medical School students walked out of a pro-life keynote speaker’s address, after a previous petition to get the speaker removed failed.

Shortly after Dr. Kristin Collier, a pro-life assistant professor of medicine at UMMS, took to the stage Sunday to address the new students at their White Coat Ceremony, several dozen people got up from their seats and headed for the auditorium doors, video of the ceremony showed.

A video of the walkout on Twitter quickly amassed over 200K likes.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/university-of-michigan-medical-students-walk-out-pro-life-speakers-keynote-address-white-coat-ceremony

Offline cato potatoe

It would be helpful to have the names of these people, so we could avoid them when our time inevitably comes.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
July 25, 2022 3:09am EDT
University of Michigan medical students walk out of pro-life speaker's keynote address at White Coat Ceremony
Video shows dozens of students and parents exiting auditorium as Dr. Kristin Collier approached podium
By Lawrence Richard | Fox News

Dozens of incoming University of Michigan Medical School students walked out of a pro-life keynote speaker’s address, after a previous petition to get the speaker removed failed.

Shortly after Dr. Kristin Collier, a pro-life assistant professor of medicine at UMMS, took to the stage Sunday to address the new students at their White Coat Ceremony, several dozen people got up from their seats and headed for the auditorium doors, video of the ceremony showed.

A video of the walkout on Twitter quickly amassed over 200K likes.

Collier’s speech was not expected to focus on abortion, but some students petitioned the school weeks prior to remove her as the keynote speaker over her support for the unborn.

https://twitter.com/PEScorpiio/status/1551301879623196672

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/university-of-michigan-medical-students-walk-out-pro-life-speakers-keynote-address-white-coat-ceremony
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The AMA should make sure to get their names since they think alike and the AMA sure needs the members.

Offline Kamaji

And apparently, she didn't even mention abortion, so they're not even responding to anything she said to them.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

On a very simple basis that is inarguable, how can you possibly be considered a doctor if you are not also pro-life?

The practice of medicine necessarily means to improve or at times to save lives.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:39:28 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
So much for "diversity" of thought or speech... :whistle:

IMO, crass, petulant, uncouth and just plain poor manners...libs in a nutshell.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline mountaineer

On a very simple basis that is inarguable, how can you possibly be considered a doctor if you are not also pro-life?

The practice of medicine necessarily means to improve or at times to save lives.
Yeah, heaven forbid a medical doctor consider it important to save human lives. We're living in Bizarro World.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

The collegiate system needs drastic reform. Starting with cutting off their grant money system and removing federal guarantees on student loans.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The collegiate system needs drastic reform. Starting with cutting off their grant money system and removing federal guarantees on student loans.
Yep. If the University wants a student, let them guarantee the loan.

Not only would that put an end to a lot of useless courses of study, it would give the University skin in the game to produce graduates with employable skills.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Not only would that put an end to a lot of useless courses of study, it would give the University skin in the game to produce graduates with employable skills.

Exactly right... And that means their claim to fame, and their popularity would be based on how many kids they make successful. Competition is never a bad thing. Unless it's two wolves competing for a sheep... And you're the sheep.  :whistle: :shrug:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Exactly right... And that means their claim to fame, and their popularity would be based on how many kids they make successful. Competition is never a bad thing. Unless it's two wolves competing for a sheep... And you're the sheep.  :whistle: :shrug:
Well, the more time those wolves spend gnawin' on each other is less time they spend gnawing on the sheep, and if they're a good match, they might mess each other up too much to be havin' dinner.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

Several years ago one of my nieces was whining about having to BA's and not being able to find a job. I asked he what her degrees were in. She replied "Dance theory, and something else along the same lines." Seriously WTF, do you expect with a useless degree like that. You want a job, think STEM or go get vocational training.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Several years ago one of my nieces was whining about having to BA's and not being able to find a job. I asked he what her degrees were in. She replied "Dance theory, and something else along the same lines." Seriously WTF, do you expect with a useless degree like that. You want a job, think STEM or go get vocational training.
My son got his BS in education and was put into the armpit school of the district after having been hired into the top school, he quickly realized he was not cut out to be a teacher and went back to University to get his Masters in English. He racked up huge debt and never got a job with that degree, his friend got him a paid internship as a tech writer for an online gaming company. He has turned that into a successful career moving into progressively better jobs. The really sad thing is that everything he uses in his tech writing he learned by the time he had hi BS, all the time and money invested in his Masters got him diddly squat...except for a mountain of debt.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
At the very least you could be a dance instructor with that. (And I disagree wholeheartedly with most STEM degrees. Most have too many graduates coming out and jobs are too specialized for most of them to qualify.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

The Message America's Future Doctors Need to Hear
The University of Michigan medical students who walked out of their white coat ceremony missed a transcendent lecture about staying human in an age of machines.
Vinay Prasad
July 27, 2022
Dr. Kristin Collier is an assistant professor of internal medicine at the University of Michigan, where she has served on faculty for 17 years. She also is the director of the medical school’s Program on Health, Spirituality and Religion and has been published in publications including the Journal of the American Medical Association and the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Many describe her as a consummate physician and superb teacher—deeply liked and respected by her peers. That’s why, out of some 3,000 faculty at Michigan, Dr. Collier was chosen by students and her peers to be this year’s White Coat Ceremony speaker. The White Coat ceremony is one bookend of medical school (graduation is the other), where students put on their white coats for the first time, take a modified Hippocratic oath and begin the long path to becoming a doctor.

The trouble is that Professor Collier has views on abortion that are out of step with many Michigan medical students—likely the majority of them. She has stated that she defines herself as pro-life, though she does not state the extent of her position (i.e. whether she allows exemptions for rape or incest). In that same interview, in which she talks about her personal transformation from a pro-choice atheist to a Christian, she laments the intolerance for religious people among medical colleagues. “When we consider diversity in the medical profession, religious diversity is not—should not—be exempt from this goal.” ...

The particular shame here is that those who walked out missed a transcendent lecture about the meaning of practicing medicine in a culture that increasingly treats human beings like machines.

“The risk of this education and the one that I fell into is that you can come out of medical school with a bio-reductionist, mechanistic view of people and ultimately of yourself. You can easily end up seeing your patients as just a bag of blood and bones or human life as just molecules in motion,” Dr. Collier said.

“You are not technicians taking care of complex machines, but human beings taking care of other human beings,” she said. “Medicine is not merely a technical endeavor but above all a human one.” ...

As a professor at UCSF medical school, I worry deeply that we are not preparing our future doctors for practicing medicine on real people in the real world. Medicine has to meet patients where they are; often that means caring for people and working with people with whom we disagree. We can’t walk out on that.
Entire article and video of speech at Common Sense
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org