Author Topic: Permanent daylight saving time hits brick wall in House  (Read 532 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Permanent daylight saving time hits brick wall in House
« on: July 25, 2022, 01:31:31 pm »
 Permanent daylight saving time hits brick wall in House
by Mychael Schnell - 07/25/22 5:25 AM ET

More than four months after the Senate unanimously passed a bill to make daylight saving time permanent in the U.S., the measure has hit a brick wall in the House.

The main impediments dimming the legislation’s chances of passing appear to be fundamental disagreements over its language and a general consensus that other matter take precedence as the House grapples with high inflation, gun massacres and fending off judicial threats on issues such as abortion and marriage equality.

“I can’t say it’s a priority,” Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.), the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, told The Hill recently.

“We have so many other priorities, but it doesn’t mean because it’s not a priority that we’re not trying to work on it. We are,” he said, adding “if we can accomplish anything it wouldn’t be until the fall.”

The Senate created a buzz in March when it approved the Sunshine Protection Act — which would make daylight saving time permanent — through unanimous consent, drawing widespread headlines. The legislation, which would not take effect until November 2023, calls for abandoning the process of changing clocks twice a year, a practice intended to give Americans an extra hour of daylight during the fall and winter.

But to do that, U.S. residents would lose an hour of daylight in the morning from November through February.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3571007-permanent-daylight-saving-time-hits-brick-wall-in-house/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Permanent daylight saving time hits brick wall in House
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 01:33:48 pm »
The legislation, which would not take effect until November 2023, calls for abandoning the process of changing clocks twice a year, a practice intended to give Americans an extra hour of daylight during the fall and winter.

Oy vey!

Daylight savings time doesn't give anyone "an extra hour of daylight", it simply takes an hour from the evening and moves that hour to the morning.  The total number of daylight hours during the day, however, remains the same.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 01:38:58 pm »
Just more proof the slime in DC has no ability to improve our lives, even in the minuscule.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 01:40:40 pm »
Oy vey!

Daylight savings time doesn't give anyone "an extra hour of daylight", it simply takes an hour from the evening and moves that hour to the morning.  The total number of daylight hours during the day, however, remains the same.

True, but the idea of not having to remember to mess with our clocks twice a year is worth at least 5 minutes of congress time to just vote the shit through.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:37:41 pm »
Is it possible for the nyctophobes to adjust their personal schedules, rather than impose their mental illness on the rest of us? 

That goes for the arctic school bus whiners also.  Can a few schedules be adjusted ... maybe teach the kids not to play in the road ... or does the rest of the country have to accommodate them?  One has to assume the europeans would abolish the time change as soon as we do.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:41:54 pm by cato potatoe »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 02:53:26 pm »
Is it possible for the nyctophobes to adjust their personal schedules, rather than impose their mental illness on the rest of us? 

That goes for the arctic school bus whiners also.  Can a few schedules be adjusted ... maybe teach the kids not to play in the road ... or does the rest of the country have to accommodate them?  One has to assume the europeans would abolish the time change as soon as we do.

Back in the day, it seemed I always had one employee showed up an hour late for work, for supposedly not adjusting their clocks for ST.   But in the Ripley's Believe it or Not Department, not one ever came out to work an hour early when they were changed back for DST. Amazing.   :thud:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 04:48:25 pm »
True, but the idea of not having to remember to mess with our clocks twice a year is worth at least 5 minutes of congress time to just vote the shit through.

I totally agree!  I cannot stand the time changes; my internal system is messed up for a week afterward, and my wife's internal clock is even worse.

When I was in grad school in Indiana, I loved the fact that the state did not do the time change, and having to remember that we were out of sync with Michigan for a few months each year was no biggie.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 10:54:53 pm »
Ahem... let's compromise:
Set the clocks 1/2 ahead of standard time, and 1/2 behind daylight saving time, and leave 'em there...!

(only half-kidding)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 12:03:01 am »
I'm fine if they make the states who do DST keep their clocks that way, but I'll be pissed if they force states that don't have DST at all, to change.

For me personally, it's like this:  During Standard Time, the gambling Mecca Laughlin Nevada is one hour earlier than us but when it's DST they are the same time as us.  I prefer having the same time right across the River.  Because I'm mentally lazy.

Arizona has some pretty good reasons to not do DST.  The sun doesn't set until 9:30 PM.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: