Author Topic: Experts slam Pete Buttigieg's comments on EVs: 'A con job'  (Read 713 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Experts slam Pete Buttigieg's comments on EVs: 'A con job'
« on: July 22, 2022, 10:08:40 pm »
Published 39 mins ago
Experts slam Pete Buttigieg's comments on EVs: 'A con job'
"Americans have been given a false impression about EVs," researcher Patrick Anderson tells FOX Business

By Thomas Catenacci FOXBusiness

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg's recent comments that electric vehicles (EVs) are cheaper than traditional alternatives were misleading, experts told FOX Business.

Buttigieg suggested EVs can be cheaper than comparable cars with internal combustion engines and more cost-effective to fill up, in response to a question from Rep. Scott Perry, R-Pa., during a House hearing Wednesday. During his questioning, Perry noted the high average cost of EVs and asked what the Biden administration's plans were to lower such costs for American consumers.

"I knew this might come up, so I pulled a few of the latest prices," Buttigieg told Perry. "A Chevy Bolt, an American-made 2022 EV is $26,595. If you want a pickup truck, like a Chevy Silverado EV or Ford F150 Lightning, the starting prices of those are $39,900 and $39,974, respectively."

"But what we're seeing in terms of the dynamics now is we're close to the point, and may actually be there on certain models and under certain circumstances, where the extent to which your car payment would go up, is actually already outweighed by the extent to which your gas bill would go down, even factoring in the cost of electricity," he continued.

However, experts highlighted that cheaper EVs are still more expensive than comparable traditional cars and must be charged more often due to their relatively low range. For example, the 2022 Chevy Bolt referenced by Buttigieg costs $26,595 and has a range of 259 miles while the traditional engine 2022 Chevy Spark costs $14,595 and has a range of 297 miles, according to company data.

"Customers are clever enough to figure this out despite the snow job from the electric vehicle promoters and people like Secretary Buttigieg," Myron Ebell, the director of the Competitive Enterprise Institute's Center for Energy and Environment, told FOX Business in an interview.

"It's really kind of a con job," Ebell said. "It may be a good deal for some people in some places under some circumstances. But by-and-large right now, it's not a good deal."

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/experts-slam-pete-buttigieg-comments-evs-con-job
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Experts slam Pete Buttigieg's comments on EVs: 'A con job'
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 12:00:20 am »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 04:15:36 am »
The claimed mileage ranges doubtless do not include running things like AC/heating, headlights, or other accessories, and likely are somewhat exaggerated like claimed MPG ratings.

Now try that going generally uphill, with the heater running full blast, the wipers on, and headlights and see just how far it gets (and don't forget to add the weight of a survival kit as well).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 04:38:43 am »
I don’t know where Petey is getting his prices from, but a Ford F-150 Lightening costs a heck of a lot more than $39k. I saw one at the dealership early this week when I was getting an oil change and it was over $100k.
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 09:37:54 am »
The claimed mileage ranges doubtless do not include running things like AC/heating, headlights, or other accessories, and likely are somewhat exaggerated like claimed MPG ratings.

Now try that going generally uphill, with the heater running full blast, the wipers on, and headlights and see just how far it gets (and don't forget to add the weight of a survival kit as well).
Idiots like Buttedgeedge don't take into consideration those kind of people.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 10:41:33 am »
I don’t know where Petey is getting his prices from, but a Ford F-150 Lightening costs a heck of a lot more than $39k. I saw one at the dealership early this week when I was getting an oil change and it was over $100k.
I think Petey is quoting the base model. Chassis, no box, dashboard and wheels extra...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis