Author Topic: Kagan warns that Supreme Court legitimacy at risk if it strays too far from public sentiment  (Read 956 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Kagan warns that Supreme Court legitimacy at risk if it strays too far from public sentiment
by Chloe Folmar - 07/22/22 8:10 AM ET

Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan said on Thursday at a conference that the legitimacy of the Supreme Court is tied to its conformity to public opinion, Reuters first reported.

“I’m not talking about any particular decision or even any particular series of decisions, but if over time the court loses all connection with the public and with public sentiment, that’s a dangerous thing for a democracy,” Kagan said at a judicial conference in Montana.

Kagan, a liberal appointed to the Supreme Court by former President Obama, dissented in the court’s momentous decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization that overturned Roe v. Wade and sent the authority on abortion back to the states.

The recent Supreme Court term included many contentious decisions, including cases about gun rights and the Environmental Protection Agency, and Kagan was often on the dissenting side.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3570209-kagan-warns-that-supreme-court-legitimacy-at-risk-if-it-strays-too-far-from-public-sentiment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hey Kagan you don't deserve to sit on the SCOTUS Bench....A Justice is supposed to rule according to the Constitution not public opinion!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Who rattled that baboons cage?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

So much for the rule of law; not men.  RIP.

Online mountaineer

Could one of the justices please sit her down and explain:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online berdie

Hey Kagan you don't deserve to sit on the SCOTUS Bench....A Justice is supposed to rule according to the Constitution not public opinion!

Silly us...that's what I always thought. :shrug:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Stupid, stupid BIOTCH! She doesn't comprehend that what she's saying is there is no point having a Supreme Court, just have everything decided by popular vote. When someone is so ignorant of the basics of how our Republic works they have no business being a judge at any level, not even a pie eating contest......which appears to be the one thing she has actual experience in. Boy I can't wait for statements from the new liberal fool that doesn't even know what a woman is.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
There's nothing new or shocking in what she said.

It's expected behavior from left-wing judges and justices.

Indeed, it's WHY they were chosen for the positions they hold.

To serve The Party's interests, Comrades -- NOT those of The Constitution.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Grounds for impeachment IMHO! As bad or worse than citing foreign law in opinions.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Stupid, stupid BIOTCH! She doesn't comprehend that what she's saying is there is no point having a Supreme Court, just have everything decided by popular vote. When someone is so ignorant of the basics of how our Republic works they have no business being a judge at any level, not even a pie eating contest......which appears to be the one thing she has actual experience in. Boy I can't wait for statements from the new liberal fool that doesn't even know what a woman is.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

Could one of the justices please sit her down and explain:

888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.