Author Topic: Polio reported in Rockland County, NY — first known case in US since 2013  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Kamaji

Polio reported in Rockland County, NY — first known case in US since 2013

By Ben Kesslen and Zach Williams
July 21, 2022

A Rockland County, New York, resident has polio — marking the first case recorded in the US in nearly a decade, officials said Thursday.

The New York State and Rockland County Departments of Health did not immediately provide further details about the patient or their condition.

State health officials, however, advised medical practitioners to be “vigilant for additional cases.”

The chain of transmission that led to the case is under investigation, the state DOH said.

Polio is an highly contagious virus that often enters the body through the mouth, and in its worst cases can cause paralysis or death.

The highly-effective CDC-approved vaccine against the virus, which is required for schoolchildren in New York state, all but eradicated the disease in the US in the 1970s. The Rockland County case is the first recorded in the country since 2013.

The state DOH told The Post it is the first known instance of polio in New York in decades, but did not provide an exact date of the last recorded case.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/07/21/case-of-polio-reported-in-ny-first-known-case-in-us-since-2013/

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Who Had Polio Epidemic for July?

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
BTW, the victim is prolly came from another country since they confirmed he was vaxxed with the "oral polio vaccine (OPV), which is no longer authorized or administered in the U.S., where only the inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) has been given since 2000,"

Offline Polly Ticks

The highly-effective CDC-approved vaccine against the virus, which is required for schoolchildren in New York state, all but eradicated the disease in the US in the 1970s.

Now THAT is a vaccine.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Can I take Scarlet Fever for August?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Wingnut

Can I take Scarlet Fever for August?

I was thinking Beriberi disease.

Offline EdinVA

Open borders strike again....

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I haven't read the news story yet,but I am going to go out on a limb and guess it was an illegal alien.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

New details emerge in first known US polio case since 2013

By Natalie O'Neill
July 22, 2022

The first known US case of polio in nearly a decade was contracted by an unvaccinated 20-year-old man in Rockland County who had recently traveled to Poland and Hungary, health officials said.

The man was hospitalized in June and initially diagnosed with acute flaccid myelitis, a spinal cord condition that causes paralysis and muscle weakness, a health official not unauthorized to speak told the Washington Post.

Doctors soon found a type of polio that’s generally transmitted abroad and the patient was discharged to his parents’ home, where he’s been living with his wife, according to the outlet.

The man, who sources told The Post was linked to the local Orthodox Jewish community, is not contagious, the state Health Department said in an alert Thursday.

There have been no reported polio cases in Hungary or Poland in recent years, though nearby Ukraine — which residents are fleeing amid the Russian invasion — has reported at least 19 cases since January, according to Science Daily.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/new-details-emerge-in-first-known-us-polio-case-since-2013/

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
New details emerge in first known US polio case since 2013

By Natalie O'Neill
July 22, 2022

The first known US case of polio in nearly a decade was contracted by an unvaccinated 20-year-old man in Rockland County who had recently traveled to Poland and Hungary, health officials said.

The man was hospitalized in June and initially diagnosed with acute flaccid myelitis, a spinal cord condition that causes paralysis and muscle weakness, a health official not unauthorized to speak told the Washington Post.

Doctors soon found a type of polio that’s generally transmitted abroad and the patient was discharged to his parents’ home, where he’s been living with his wife, according to the outlet.

The man, who sources told The Post was linked to the local Orthodox Jewish community, is not contagious, the state Health Department said in an alert Thursday.

There have been no reported polio cases in Hungary or Poland in recent years, though nearby Ukraine — which residents are fleeing amid the Russian invasion — has reported at least 19 cases since January, according to Science Daily.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/new-details-emerge-in-first-known-us-polio-case-since-2013/

@Kamaji

Are all obedient Orthodox Jews anti-Vax?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!