Author Topic: New computers automatically downloading Win 11  (Read 8993 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: New computers automatically downloading Win 11
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2022, 02:24:48 am »
I never much cared for Outlook. I had to use it at work. At home I've used Thunderbird for a whole lotta yrs now. I was on Pegasus before then. MS don't like the CPU I'm running so I don't have to worry about it upgrading to Win 11. I had picked up a newer CPU a while back, but I ain't about to load it in now.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2022, 03:54:39 am »
Thanks for the tip, @roamer_1

Found a couple of articles comparing Mailbird and Thunderbird.  Basically, I want an email client that will essentially organize itself based on pre-written rules.  Thunderbird does that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2022, 04:32:32 am »
Thanks for the tip, @roamer_1

Found a couple of articles comparing Mailbird and Thunderbird.  Basically, I want an email client that will essentially organize itself based on pre-written rules.  Thunderbird does that.

@Hoodat
yeah it does. Glad to help.

A couple maintenance things...
You can change where Mozilla products keep their data... And I would recommend doing that... I had a folder in %userprofile%\Archives\Thunderbird So it would regularly pick up with my backup routines.

Start=>Run=> 'Thunderbird --profilemanager'

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-thunderbird-stores-user-data

Then if you ever have to reload... All your stored mail, mail settings, addons and all are restored just dropping the backup files back in there.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 04:33:42 am by roamer_1 »

Offline berdie

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2022, 11:41:02 pm »
A question (I don't know how to post a topic nor do I want to). But to @roamer_1  or any of you other computer gurus around here...

I got a sound bar for my tv for a Christmas present. I don't have room nor is it needed.

Sooo, can I hook it to my laptop? I see conflicting advice on this on the internet. I listen to music on my laptop since I can't bend down to use my stereo. But the speakers are really cheesy on the computer.

Any one who chooses to answer...dumb it down A LOT!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2022, 12:30:48 am »
A question (I don't know how to post a topic nor do I want to). But to @roamer_1  or any of you other computer gurus around here...

I got a sound bar for my tv for a Christmas present. I don't have room nor is it needed.

Sooo, can I hook it to my laptop? I see conflicting advice on this on the internet. I listen to music on my laptop since I can't bend down to use my stereo. But the speakers are really cheesy on the computer.

Maybe @berdie ... but that would be rather awkward.
Tell you what... see if you can return it and get a bluetooth speaker for your laptop. I think you'll like that a whole lot better.

FIRST- Dunno if your box has bluetooth - If it don't a bluetooth speaker ain't gonna work, so fair warning, you may need to get a bluetooth USB device to make it happen - about 20 bucks at the Best Buy. If you need it, get a nice flat one that you can plug in and leave in - you don't want one that is long or in the way that you will worry for snagging on things.

Bluetooth is wireless connection (like WIFI, but for things) so the speaker would not have to be plugged in. Once paired to your machine, if you turn the speaker on, it will automagically just hook up to your box any time it finds it.

I have one I use all the time on this laptop - I got it off of Amazon.. Aeomei was the brand I think... cost me under 40 bucks. Anker is another seriously solid brand... But talk to your kin and find out what they are already comfortable with - as they will likely have to help you set it up -  So something they already know alright might be the thing.

Anyhow, this one is about a foot long and maybe 5 inches wide... maybe 3 inches deep, and puts out very nice sound - Especially compared to anything a laptop can throw. It has a rechargeable battery, so it is portable like the laptop, though I leave mine plugged in most of the time.

I have another hooked to my tablet... A crappy little one about the size of a baseball... but same sort of thing... I use that setup portable, taking it with me as I work in the kitchen or do laundry or whatnot. That way the tablet can stay safely away from dirt and wetness, and I just keep the speaker nearby... I paid about twenty bucks for that little thing over at the Wallyworld years and years ago, and while it ain't got the quality sound the bigger one does that old thing don't owe me a dime.

But something thereabouts is where I would have you go...  happy77 :beer:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2022, 12:36:44 am »
@berdie

Addendum:

You can also get bluetooth earphones or ear buds if that's something you'd rather... I have some very serious high quality earphones for music - Though I really prefer speakers most of the time, and not having to dig out the dang things when I want... so mostly that speaker works for me.

Online DB

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2022, 12:37:32 am »

If you provide a make and model number we can see what connectivity it has. If it has USB then it likely can be connected to your computer. If it is only HDMI it might be possible if your laptop has an HDMI connector (which is pretty common).

Offline berdie

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2022, 09:11:20 pm »
@roamer_1  @DB

Thank you both for your replies. And thank you for making it easier for me to understand. I know when someone knows their stuff...it's darn hard to make someone who doesn't understand this stuff...understand. :laugh: It at least gave me a starting point. I'm always worried that I'm going to screw things up, even though they are working good right now.

My computer is a Dell Latitude. It does have Blue Tooth, never enabled. The soundbar is an ONN Blast 2.1.
2 speakers, wireless subwoofer Blue Tooth Wireless Technology. That's what the box says...plus a lot of blah, blah, blah.

My choice would be to return the darn thing. But I hate to hurt my baby brother's feelings. I can't understand, since he knows how tech illiterate I am, this gift. But he was real excited. :shrug: I'm not ungrateful...just confused.

I may have to wait for a day when I'm feeling real spiffy and patient to attempt hooking this thing up. Otherwise, it will go into the lake instead of the closet. :rolling:

Online DB

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2022, 09:40:06 pm »
@roamer_1  @DB

Thank you both for your replies. And thank you for making it easier for me to understand. I know when someone knows their stuff...it's darn hard to make someone who doesn't understand this stuff...understand. :laugh: It at least gave me a starting point. I'm always worried that I'm going to screw things up, even though they are working good right now.

My computer is a Dell Latitude. It does have Blue Tooth, never enabled. The soundbar is an ONN Blast 2.1.
2 speakers, wireless subwoofer Blue Tooth Wireless Technology. That's what the box says...plus a lot of blah, blah, blah.

My choice would be to return the darn thing. But I hate to hurt my baby brother's feelings. I can't understand, since he knows how tech illiterate I am, this gift. But he was real excited. :shrug: I'm not ungrateful...just confused.

I may have to wait for a day when I'm feeling real spiffy and patient to attempt hooking this thing up. Otherwise, it will go into the lake instead of the closet. :rolling:

The ONN Blast 2.1 has Bluetooth connectivity so you should be able to pair it to your laptop without any additional equipment. Most Bluetooth devices are pretty easy to pair. There should be detailed instructions that came with it how to do so with the particular version of Windows you have.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2022, 12:57:09 am »
@roamer_1  @DB

@berdie

@DB is right - If it is bluetooth it will easily work with your laptop.

My concern is more with form factor... That thing has got to be what, maybe three feet long? It's made to sit under a TV... Where the heck else would you put it?

It is just such an awkward form for anything else...

Why not use it with your TV, by the way? That's what it is for...

But if not, explain the dilemma to baby brother and see if he could help you pick a different bluetooth speaker for your laptop - His expertise and assistance, greatly appreciated, will offset any unintended hurt feelings, I bet.

Offline berdie

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2022, 09:09:54 pm »
@berdie

@DB is right - If it is bluetooth it will easily work with your laptop.

My concern is more with form factor... That thing has got to be what, maybe three feet long? It's made to sit under a TV... Where the heck else would you put it?

It is just such an awkward form for anything else...

Why not use it with your TV, by the way? That's what it is for...

But if not, explain the dilemma to baby brother and see if he could help you pick a different bluetooth speaker for your laptop - His expertise and assistance, greatly appreciated, will offset any unintended hurt feelings, I bet.

Well, @roamer_1 the problem with using this soundbar with the tv (it's intended use) are two fold.
I don't have one of the newer tv stands that are so popular. I have what looks like a small armoire  that houses the tv in the top and stereo in the bottom. I was really excited that the tv (32") fit. I doubt the soundbar would fit. I really like this piece of furniture, so I doubt that I'll part with it any time soon.

And even more importantly...even if it would fit...somebody would have to get behind the tv to hook the sound bar up. Heck, somebody is a little nervous about climbing back there. She'd have to pack a lunch, take water and a phone in case she couldn't get back out. :rolling: Plus, I'm nervous about altering the tv in any way. At least it works...right now. :laugh:

I'm just trying to figure out a way to use the darn thing. Other than using up closet space.lol

Online roamer_1

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2022, 03:42:52 am »

Well, @roamer_1 the problem with using this soundbar with the tv (it's intended use) are two fold.
I don't have one of the newer tv stands that are so popular. I have what looks like a small armoire  that houses the tv in the top and stereo in the bottom. I was really excited that the tv (32") fit. I doubt the soundbar would fit. I really like this piece of furniture, so I doubt that I'll part with it any time soon.

@berdie

LOL! I hear you. I will tell you something funny. My main TV is, I dunno, 50 something inches...But it sits atop the very same oak tv console I have had forever. Of course, the vertical roll-top that hides where the tv is supposed to go is normally closed... but it is way too small a space for my current TV, seeing as it was made for TVs long before there was a flat screen...  So that is now stuffed with my media server, my web-facing server (computers), and an all in wonder printer/scanner/fax that still works, but I ain't used in a decade.

The stereo sits in the right side of the cabinet, behind smoked glass, where the stereo is supposed to go - because the cabinet was made back in the day when everyone had a stereo system - That no longer has a turn table or a tape deck, or a dvd player (the media server has a Blue-ray capable DVD drive/recorder built in)... But I still use it - the TV is wired through it for sound (as I said before), and it's still tuned to KHNK (HANK FM Country) if I flip it over to FM.

But I was lucky enough that the cabinet is short and wide enough for the giant tv to sit on top, flanked with shelves on either side... So other than wiring the old TV compartment to support networking and 110v, I ain't changed a thing about it in all this time. However, at this point, I don't think I could take much more tv, even sitting on top like it is... there's maybe 6" left to go any bigger.

So you ain't got to tell me about keeping an armoire. I do the same. I reckon it would not do in a McMansion... Looking a bit clap-trap, I suppose. But hey - This is a redneck cabin here, and it'll do just fine. And the womenfolks that have been through here have said it looks alright... Though none of them are from the hors de oveures crowd either... Unless a Ritz and some spray-on cheese would count.  :shrug: :whistle:

But in your case - It wouldn't take much to measure it out to see if it would fit some way... Maybe it would be worth the doin of it.

And even more importantly...even if it would fit...somebody would have to get behind the tv to hook the sound bar up. Heck, somebody is a little nervous about climbing back there. She'd have to pack a lunch, take water and a phone in case she couldn't get back out. :rolling: Plus, I'm nervous about altering the tv in any way. At least it works...right now. :laugh:

I'm just trying to figure out a way to use the darn thing. Other than using up closet space.lol

Now, y'all can be all independent and all... but you surely have a tech-savvy teen laying around, either among your kin or among your neighbors. I can't even begin to tell you how many country grannies I have been roped into doing for exactly that sort of thing... The amount of printers and sound bars And other peripherals I have hooked up for nothing because they know me and I was driving by is astronomical and spans years and years - Long before they started looking to set their hat for me - Though that is often the purpose behind the house call these days.  :laugh:

So don't be proud. There's somebody you know that could help you out.  happy77

But if not, then I reckon you should return it, and go for a smaller speaker for your laptop instead... Albeit that you'll not know what you are missing.

Offline berdie

« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2022, 04:43:07 pm »
@berdie

LOL! I hear you. I will tell you something funny. My main TV is, I dunno, 50 something inches...But it sits atop the very same oak tv console I have had forever. Of course, the vertical roll-top that hides where the tv is supposed to go is normally closed... but it is way too small a space for my current TV, seeing as it was made for TVs long before there was a flat screen...  So that is now stuffed with my media server, my web-facing server (computers), and an all in wonder printer/scanner/fax that still works, but I ain't used in a decade.

The stereo sits in the right side of the cabinet, behind smoked glass, where the stereo is supposed to go - because the cabinet was made back in the day when everyone had a stereo system - That no longer has a turn table or a tape deck, or a dvd player (the media server has a Blue-ray capable DVD drive/recorder built in)... But I still use it - the TV is wired through it for sound (as I said before), and it's still tuned to KHNK (HANK FM Country) if I flip it over to FM.

But I was lucky enough that the cabinet is short and wide enough for the giant tv to sit on top, flanked with shelves on either side... So other than wiring the old TV compartment to support networking and 110v, I ain't changed a thing about it in all this time. However, at this point, I don't think I could take much more tv, even sitting on top like it is... there's maybe 6" left to go any bigger.

So you ain't got to tell me about keeping an armoire. I do the same. I reckon it would not do in a McMansion... Looking a bit clap-trap, I suppose. But hey - This is a redneck cabin here, and it'll do just fine. And the womenfolks that have been through here have said it looks alright... Though none of them are from the hors de oveures crowd either... Unless a Ritz and some spray-on cheese would count.  :shrug: :whistle:

But in your case - It wouldn't take much to measure it out to see if it would fit some way... Maybe it would be worth the doin of it.

Now, y'all can be all independent and all... but you surely have a tech-savvy teen laying around, either among your kin or among your neighbors. I can't even begin to tell you how many country grannies I have been roped into doing for exactly that sort of thing... The amount of printers and sound bars And other peripherals I have hooked up for nothing because they know me and I was driving by is astronomical and spans years and years - Long before they started looking to set their hat for me - Though that is often the purpose behind the house call these days.  :laugh:

So don't be proud. There's somebody you know that could help you out.  happy77

But if not, then I reckon you should return it, and go for a smaller speaker for your laptop instead... Albeit that you'll not know what you are missing.

:beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2023, 11:54:30 pm »
Ok,my cheapie 100 buck reconditioned Win 10 laptop bit the dust,so I am back to trying to learn Win11.

Right now my biggest problem seems to be getting the browser to fit the screen on the laptop.

Reduced to the text size to the point I can barely ready it,and the browser box is still larger than the screen.

Driving me nuts.

STILL having chemo brain doesn't seem to help.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2023, 12:03:32 am »
Ok,my cheapie 100 buck reconditioned Win 10 laptop bit the dust,so I am back to trying to learn Win11.

Right now my biggest problem seems to be getting the browser to fit the screen on the laptop.

Reduced to the text size to the point I can barely ready it,and the browser box is still larger than the screen.

Driving me nuts.

STILL having chemo brain doesn't seem to help.

@sneakypete

OK... FIRST - Take it in to a tech and see if it can be reinstalled to Win10Pro. Might be a buck or two, but maybe you can have your cake and eat it too.  :shrug:

Only if you CAN'T convert it back to Win10 would I go through the pain of relearning.

BTW: If you can find a Win7Pro box that died still using Win7, you can use the numbers off of that box to install Win10Pro - Saving the cost of buying a retail copy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2023, 12:40:14 am »
@roamer_1

Thanks,but I live in a VERY rural area,and the closest tech shop is a half-assed outfit that is 50 miles away,and they would want me to drop it off and come back in a week or so to pick it up.

NOT had good luck buying accessories from these people.

Frankly,I would rather just buy a new laptop.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2023, 12:45:46 am »
@roamer_1

Thanks,but I live in a VERY rural area,and the closest tech shop is a half-assed outfit that is 50 miles away,and they would want me to drop it off and come back in a week or so to pick it up.

Something like the one at the link will likely serve you well for quite awhile @sneakypete

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-i5-6300U-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B081FJG5L5/ref=sr_1_18?crid=WUZ3GLUIH5ZU&keywords=used+laptops+on+sale+clearance&qid=1674780142&sprefix=Used+lap%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-18
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2023, 01:10:19 am »
@roamer_1

@sneakypete

Ask around. There's somebody taking care of all them rednecks... If you was here, that'd be me.

I just hate to see you missing out on that perfectly good machine you already have. It's a simple job if you know what you are doing... I'd have that rubbed off and reinstalled in a half hour or so.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2023, 02:07:55 am »
Breaking News .....

I got a picture  of one of the staff in the new MS support group.......

Here to help you with your technical questions for WIN 11 installation and operation.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2023, 02:37:36 am »
@Bigun
Yes, if you have win10 and shut off secure boot or TPM, it would no longer bug you to install win11... But shutting off the win11 auto update will shut it off too...

As an aside, I have had many machines loaded with win11 There are ways to install it on most modern machines... But the FUD is that they will not update properly unless there is secure boot, TPM 2.0, and a supported processor. I keep fixin to lay up a permanent installation on inferior hardware just to see if it is FUD. But I really can't stand the interface. I always wind up throwing it away and reinstalling win10 within a week or two.
I have a surveying program that is not supported anymore and requires Win 7 to run.  Is it still possible to purchase a desktop computer that will run Win 7, that of course will never ever be on the internet?  I have the program on a laptop, but I fear it will crash at some point and will still need this program for years to come. @roamer_1

Online corbe

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2023, 02:50:37 am »
I have a surveying program that is not supported anymore and requires Win 7 to run.  Is it still possible to purchase a desktop computer that will run Win 7, that of course will never ever be on the internet?  I have the program on a laptop, but I fear it will crash at some point and will still need this program for years to come. @roamer_1

Good Question @mrpotatohead  There has to be some emulator out there that could run on upgraded boxes.  My Accountant is running some old accounts on Software that will only run on XP, no path to migration.  He's hoping the XP box lives 2 more years until he retires.  I'd love to find a solution to his problem other than saying 'Dude, dump that old software, before it's too late'.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online DB

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2023, 03:33:48 am »
   Good Question @mrpotatohead  There has to be some emulator out there that could run on upgraded boxes.  My Accountant is running some old accounts on Software that will only run on XP, no path to migration.  He's hoping the XP box lives 2 more years until he retires.  I'd love to find a solution to his problem other than saying 'Dude, dump that old software, before it's too late'.

I've got an older workstation computer with XP on it and it still works properly... I use it to run some old programs but primarily to run Unreal Tournament 1999... It's on a somewhat modern computer with a fancy graphics card and LCD monitor that will run at a 144 Hz frame rate. In the good old day's I had a Sony CRT monitor that would run at 300+ Hz refresh rate for a much higher frame rate.

I've also got some very old IBM Thinkpad laptops with Windows 2000 on them and they still run as long as they're plugged into the wall... The batteries are completely shot. I only use it to run an old Linear Circuit Analysis Simulator I wrote in the late 80's...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2023, 03:37:04 am »
I have a program that runs on Win7, but not on Win10.  So I run it on my Win10 PC in a Win7 Virtual Window using Oracle VM VirtualBox.  I also have a Win7 machine I picked up on Ebay.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:40:47 am by Elderberry »

Online DB

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2023, 03:44:32 am »
I have a program that runs on Win7, but not on Win10.  So I run it on my Win10 PC in a Win7 Virtual Window using Oracle VM VirtualBox.  I also have a Win7 machine I picked up on Ebay.

Win10 is supposed to have some compatibility modes that you can configure for specific applications. Have you tried them?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2023, 03:47:08 am »
Win10 is supposed to have some compatibility modes that you can configure for specific applications. Have you tried them?

I have given up on trying Compatibility Mode. It never worked for me.