Author Topic: New computers automatically downloading Win 11  (Read 8771 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: New computers automatically downloading Win 11
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2022, 04:02:37 am »
@berdie

Well that's a little more complicated... It is troublesome that it all broke at the same time. That indicates something catastrophic. But may still be pretty simple.

If the monitor is salvageable is the hard part, providing the boot issue can be fixed.

If a guy could hook it to an external KB and monitor, and get it running, the next issue is why the monitor doesn't work, because if the monitor is truly busted it would probably cost more to replace than it is worth. At that point it is a boat anchor.

But I have had them come in just like that and just be a matter of wiggling internal connections, so it ain't over till it's over.  :shrug:
If the display went pink before it quit, chances are it's the CCFL bulb on an older laptop. I have changed them out but it is a pita, and they are easy to break.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2022, 05:18:28 am »
I had one of those when I worked in the R&D lab.  Most people got "standard" Laptops, but mine was a designated "Work Station" with tons of RAM, large SSD and fast everything.  It never taxed my patience.  You could run huge SPICE Models on it. 

(My department developed the parameters for the SPICE.)

SPICE?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2022, 05:24:56 am »
If the display went pink before it quit, chances are it's the CCFL bulb on an older laptop. I have changed them out but it is a pita, and they are easy to break.

yeah... there's another hoodig up in there that's just a glorified resistor... Can't remember what they call it now, but it's $15-50 bucks and a PIA to get to... The monitor itself though... It can surprise you - Sometimes they're cheap... but mostly not. If you have to throw 200-300 bucks down for the monitor, plus the service cost to replace it... well that's bouncing off the limit for most laptop's value.

I have done it... I had an Alienware box in here that I picked up for a song that needed a monitor. But I was in it crazy cheap. And it was worth a fair buck when fixed. So it made sense.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 05:26:03 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2022, 10:38:36 am »
yeah... there's another hoodig up in there that's just a glorified resistor... Can't remember what they call it now, but it's $15-50 bucks and a PIA to get to... The monitor itself though... It can surprise you - Sometimes they're cheap... but mostly not. If you have to throw 200-300 bucks down for the monitor, plus the service cost to replace it... well that's bouncing off the limit for most laptop's value.

I have done it... I had an Alienware box in here that I picked up for a song that needed a monitor. But I was in it crazy cheap. And it was worth a fair buck when fixed. So it made sense.
Back when, I bought a bunch of Toshiba M3s. They worked for me in the field, but this was one of those part piles. So I had displays I could swap out and actually got two of the dead machines working. I used the one I had for the main box for years, swapping out the fan and display and cloning the HDD and replacing that with a bigger one, added memory to max. It did yeoman's work until I got the Win 10 box, and I only did that because I needed to (software would no longer run on XP). That got the SSD, more memory, and has been going well. I do need to scare up a backup for it, though, It has a lot of miles on it, working on wells in ND, MT, CO, UT, TX, and NV.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 10:40:13 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2022, 11:11:15 am »
Back when, I bought a bunch of Toshiba M3s. They worked for me in the field, but this was one of those part piles. So I had displays I could swap out and actually got two of the dead machines working. I used the one I had for the main box for years, swapping out the fan and display and cloning the HDD and replacing that with a bigger one, added memory to max. It did yeoman's work until I got the Win 10 box, and I only did that because I needed to (software would no longer run on XP). That got the SSD, more memory, and has been going well. I do need to scare up a backup for it, though, It has a lot of miles on it, working on wells in ND, MT, CO, UT, TX, and NV.

YEP. I would treat you like an outside sales guy (don't have many portable scientists). I encourage them to buy a box every two years, using the newest as a primary, and the older as a standby. That leaves the old one retiring at 4 years, where if you have been lucky and kept it in a bag, it might still be worth a buck or two to invest in the next new one.

I do that too - My 'new' one seldom leaves the house. But my standby spare winds up in my service bag - So I guess I really do the opposite - beating on my old one, and leaving my new one where it won't get hurt.

But I have developed a pretty good standard for rough-duty portable systems. Two laptops and a USB hard drive. I use FreeFileSync with a FFS batch I wrote to allow automated backup to the external and which also has a sync feature - Mirroring one laptop's data to the sync folder and then later, mirroring from the sync folder to the other laptop.

I know it's a kludge in this day and age - But a lot of my outside sales guys don't necessarily have internet, sometimes for days. So this gives them more than three backups and three standing sets (both laptops and the sync folder) Many still use this system.

I have grown away from it myself. I am always with internet, at least at night... So my critical data is pumped to the web using MS OneDrive... Kinda neat if you can do it. That critical data is then synced to four machines here locally. My main and secondary laptop, and my server and my main whip.

Fat data is still mainly managed the old fashioned way, except that I have offsite backup at several private pods around the nation... I will not lose data until Armageddon.  happy77

Online Hoodat

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2022, 04:14:52 am »
Just purchased a new laptop that has Win 11 installed.  There are two apps I wish to uninstall - Alexa and Cortana.

I ran the following script from a Powershell window to remove Cortana:  Get-appxpackage -allusers *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage

It gave me the following response:   Deployment operation progress: Microsoft.549981C3F5F10_4.2204.13303.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe                                   Initialized  

I am hoping that did the trick, but I still see it in my apps list.   For Alexa, the only option I see is to uninstall from the apps list.  However, it says it is uninstalling, but doesn't.

Anyone got any Windows 11 experience?  I saw earlier where @roamer_1 complained about the Start menu, for which I agree.  Wish I could change it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2022, 04:25:29 am »
Update:  I had thought the uninstall procedures had frozen up.  But after restart, both apps are gone.  (or more likely, hidden).  I do not trust Alexa, and I want her gone forever.

Anyway, the powershell script in the previous post did indeed remove Cortana (which has no 'uninstall' option).
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2022, 04:28:02 am »
SPICE?

Melange.

btw, I am a huge David Lynch fan.  But the new Dune movie is much better than the first.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2022, 04:29:16 am »
SPICE?

Spice is probably the circuit simulator program. I played around with it a few years ago.

• Technical
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2022, 04:31:21 am »
Just purchased a new laptop that has Win 11 installed.  There are two apps I wish to uninstall - Alexa and Cortana.

I ran the following script from a Powershell window to remove Cortana:  Get-appxpackage -allusers *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage

It gave me the following response:   Deployment operation progress: Microsoft.549981C3F5F10_4.2204.13303.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe                                   Initialized  

I am hoping that did the trick, but I still see it in my apps list.   For Alexa, the only option I see is to uninstall from the apps list.  However, it says it is uninstalling, but doesn't.

Anyone got any Windows 11 experience?  I saw earlier where @roamer_1 complained about the Start menu, for which I agree.  Wish I could change it.

I had it and it was fine as a gaming machine, then I tried actually using it…

Designed by the same bleep who did windows 8 I think.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2022, 04:42:05 am »
Spice is probably the circuit simulator program. I played around with it a few years ago.

LOL!  Yup, that's what I was referring to, moons ago.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2022, 05:49:23 am »
Update:  I had thought the uninstall procedures had frozen up.  But after restart, both apps are gone.  (or more likely, hidden).  I do not trust Alexa, and I want her gone forever.

Anyway, the powershell script in the previous post did indeed remove Cortana (which has no 'uninstall' option).

@Hoodat
There's a something from O&O software called AppBuster That works a treat... It can function as app management for all apps, including hidden.

RTFM, Clean install, portable. no reg. Needs a local toybox folder if you want it to keep track of what you have done in the box. Drop it where you want it, run it once to gen inifile and ready... Revert and DEL to uninstall.

It's just a tad more elegant than managing pwrscripts.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2022, 05:57:54 am »
Also, StarDock's Start11 seems to be the go-to for getting back to a win10 Start.

YMMV - I do not use this, as I need to understand the native system.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2022, 06:03:09 am »
Melange.

btw, I am a huge David Lynch fan.  But the new Dune movie is much better than the first.

Oddly enough, I have not seen the new one yet... And it was just recommended to me this week. So it's in-queue.  happy77

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2022, 06:04:45 am »

Yeah... That was me being geek-funny. Sometimes it ain't so funny  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2022, 08:10:47 am »
I had it and it was fine as a gaming machine, then I tried actually using it…

Designed by the same bleep who did windows 8 I think.
All I know about 11 is that two fundamental right click functions, ones I use repeatedly in a workday, require yet an additional click to access as "other options" in order to use "send to" and "rename". It's a pain in the ass, considering the number of times I have to do that in a workday.

C S Lewis

• Technical
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2022, 04:32:55 pm »
All I know about 11 is that two fundamental right click functions, ones I use repeatedly in a workday, require yet an additional click to access as "other options" in order to use "send to" and "rename". It's a pain in the ass, considering the number of times I have to do that in a workday.

Exactly what annoyed me about it! Who makes these decisions at ms? I use properties a lot personally, no longer a one click operation!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2022, 05:59:49 pm »
Exactly what annoyed me about it! Who makes these decisions at ms? I use properties a lot personally, no longer a one click operation!

Me too... Alt+Enter ...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2022, 12:41:40 pm »

@Smokin Joe

All *I* know personally about Windows 11 is that it caused me to destroy my new laptop,and buy a used,reconditioned one always loaded with Win 10 Pro for 100 bucks off of ebay.

In fact,I am using it to post this.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2022, 10:48:54 pm »
@Smokin Joe

All *I* know personally about Windows 11 is that it caused me to destroy my new laptop,and buy a used,reconditioned one always loaded with Win 10 Pro for 100 bucks off of ebay.

In fact,I am using it to post this.
I am a notorious Windows version skipper....

I went from 3.11 to Win 95, had one machine with 98SE, which died in a puddle when a window leaked out at the rig. From there I went to XP, and ran that until the current refurbished Win 10 machine I'm using now. Win 11 is a PITA, as far as I am concerned, another Microsoft gratuitous 'upgrade' which really offers me nothing in terms of practical functionality, and in fact, for me is less functional than Win 10.
The whole thing to me seems to be a progression of presenting a "new" platform for the people who have to have the newest thing, and when/if the bugs are worked out of that, coming up with another 'new, improved' platform full of bugs to sell people. Aside from the user interface and a few other (annoying) changes, I'd bet the basics remain the same.

Frankly, for my purposes, being able to stuff a file of 20MB on a drive or e-mail it a couple seconds faster just doesn't matter. The speed with which I can manipulate the familiar outstrips the learning curve, and sometimes, the interface itself.

I'll be picking up another refurb Win 10 machine for a backup, installing a SSD, and filling out the memory to max, and should be good to go.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2022, 01:33:18 am »
With my new laptop, I bought a one-time Home edition of MS-Office just to avoid all that 365 cloud bullsh!t.  However, I just discovered that this version does not include Outlook.  I just finished pulling all my Gmail into Outlook only to discover that I will need a 365 account to keep it.  A one-time Outlook license is about $125 (which is more than I paid for Office).

So I searched around and found a product called Mailbird.  Do any of you computer gurus know anything about Mailbird?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2022, 01:35:08 am »
And no, not happy with Win11.  Will end up putting shortcuts on my desktop for Windows Explorer, DOS window, Calculator, Notepad, and Paint.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2022, 01:41:00 am »
With my new laptop, I bought a one-time Home edition of MS-Office just to avoid all that 365 cloud bullsh!t.  However, I just discovered that this version does not include Outlook.  I just finished pulling all my Gmail into Outlook only to discover that I will need a 365 account to keep it.  A one-time Outlook license is about $125 (which is more than I paid for Office).

So I searched around and found a product called Mailbird.  Do any of you computer gurus know anything about Mailbird?

I think I had that a while ago... had trouble with the seats... well, not the seats as much as the devices. I don't remember exactly, but it was going to cost me more than it was worth.

I was in Mozilla Thunderbird for years and years. with add-ons, it can be a decent replacement for outlook. Except it would not sync well to droids, which is why I went Outlook Express and Calendar this go around... with Samsung's mail and cal overlaid by MS Outlook on the droids.Samsung is doing the work, and sync works great to MS Cal. on Win boxen.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 01:42:06 am by roamer_1 »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2022, 01:48:09 am »
Don't really care about synching it to phones, etc.  If I need to check gmail, I can do that without an email platform.

I just hate the way gmail works, and would prefer some sort of structure that makes it more usable (such as searching and sorting).  And more importantly makes it local.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2022, 01:58:31 am »
Don't really care about synching it to phones, etc.  If I need to check gmail, I can do that without an email platform.

I just hate the way gmail works, and would prefer some sort of structure that makes it more usable (such as searching and sorting).  And more importantly makes it local.

Research Thunderbird with add-ons. I know it has a gmail plugin. Does all the stupid pet tricks with mail and cal. Will also plug into MS cal and Yahoo cal... and does universal inbox. I LIKED it plenty, tho it is a bit eccentric.