Author Topic: Medals of Honor for soldiers who perpetrated Wounded Knee massacre may be rescinded  (Read 1182 times)

Online mountaineer

Medals of Honor for soldiers who perpetrated Wounded Knee massacre may be rescinded
By Davis Winkie, Military Times   
July 20, 2022 1:30pm
Lawmakers took a step last week towards taking back the nation’s highest award for valor from Army troops who perpetrated one of the most infamous Native American massacres in U.S. history.

The legislation to revoke the medals passed the House of Representatives as an amendment to the fiscal 2023 defense policy bill. Similar attempts have made it this far before, however, only to be stymied during compromises between the House and Senate versions of the bill.

Some 20 soldiers received the Medal of Honor following the Dec. 29, 1890, massacre near Wounded Knee Creek, South Dakota, where troops from the 7th Cavalry and accompanying artillery units killed hundreds of Lakota men, women and children.

The U.S. troops had nearly completed confiscating weapons from a Lakota encampment when a struggle with a reportedly deaf man sparked a chaotic one-sided firefight.

When the smoke cleared, dozens of cavalry troopers were wounded or killed by friendly fire — likely from their artillery — and hundreds of Lakota were dead. ...
Military Times via NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I am so sick of this revisonist shit. 

Battlefield bravery knows no ideological or woke lines
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:03:56 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
This article from 1994 critiques the awarding of medals - how many, and for what.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170629102546/http://nebraskahistory.org/publish/publicat/history/full-text/NH1994MedalsWKnee.pdf

Wow, didn't read the whole article, but I might need to reconsider my last comment.  Handing out 30 from basically one unit?  That's fishy.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I may be wrong,but I doubt any of them care.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wow, didn't read the whole article, but I might need to reconsider my last comment.  Handing out 30 from basically one unit?  That's fishy.

@catfish1957

I remember reading about a drummer boy in the Union Army during the War of Northern Aggression that was given a Medal of Honor to get him to re-enlist.

Granted,very few people understand that despite not being armed,drummer boys were VERY important targets during this war because both sides tended to march out towards each other in straight lines while firing and being fired at,and it was the drummer boys and their beat that kept everybody in step and in time. Took a LOT of stones for a young boy to do that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

I may be wrong,but I doubt any of them care.
Let's hope their descendants don't sue.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mountaineer:
"Let's hope their descendants don't sue."

Will the govt. tell the descendants that they have to surrender the Medals they still may have?