Author Topic: Chicago cops making record-low numbers of arrests as violent crime soars  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Kamaji

Chicago cops making record-low numbers of arrests as violent crime soars

By Lee Brown
July 19, 2022

Embattled Chicago cops are making a record-low number of arrests — even as violent crimes soar to record highs, according to alarming data.

Arrests were made in just 12% of crimes reported last year, the lowest since 2001 when the data was first made public, according to an analysis by the Chicago Sun-Times.

It marks a dramatic drop-off from previous years, with the arrest rate almost 20 percentage points higher in 2005 at 31%, the paper noted.

The pullback is even more concerning because it came as the Windy City was rocked by one of its most violent years in decades — with the 797 homicides last year setting a 25-year record.

The murder rate was up 3% in 2021 compared with 2020 and criminal sexual assault was up a disturbing 27%, according to crime statistics.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/07/19/chicago-cops-make-record-low-arrests-as-crime-soars/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! Who could have foreseen that demonizing and demoralizing police along with coddling criminals and putting them right back on the streets could result in the fewer and fewer that remain on the job doing less?

Has Mayor Lightfoot weighed in yet?