Author Topic: A call from Australia against possible Turkish incursion into northern Syria  (Read 407 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
MedyaNews 7/19/2022

A city councillor in Australia has called for international solidarity against Turkey's continuing threats and plans to further invade the region.

“Once again the Kurds are being used as a bargaining chip for other countries making deals, and this could be a dangerous deal for the Kurds because Finland and Sweden are promising to provide more arms to the Turkish government, they are promising to stop assistance to the autonomous administration in northern Syria, and they are promising to crack down on Kurdish activists in their own countries, and extradite those people to Turkey. So this is a really disastrous issue for the Kurds.”

She continued:

“It’s also especially disastrous because this will be used to support the Turkish government’s plans to invade and seize more territory in the northern parts of Syria. The Turkish government has already been using drones and heavy artillery to bombard the civilians in northern Syria. Now a number of organisations approached the United Nations for a no fly zone. I think people all over the world should support the call for a no fly zone to stop the Turkish government from firing missiles on civilians from the air and causing the expulsion of more tens of thousands of Kurds and other people from the towns and villages in northern Syria.

She added:

“The people in northern Syria, including the Kurds, deserve our support all over the world. And everyone who has been opposing the Russian invasion in Ukraine should equally be condemning the Turkish government’s plans to invade, or further invade north and east Syria.”

More: https://medyanews.net/a-call-from-australia-against-possible-turkish-incursion-into-northern-syria/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In the grand scheme of things, Syria has been a problem for the routing of pipelines from the Persian Gulf Gas fields to Europe (Why do you think the Russians were involved there?)
Turkey would stand to make bank on transit fees.
If an alternate source of supply was established for European Natural Gas needs, Russia would lose their energy hegemony over eastern Europe. (See also: Georgia).

At the root of most any war are economics and natural resources.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Shouldn't the city coucillor in Australia be more concerned with aggressive koalas and rabid wombats?

Turkey is just taking back what had belonged to the Ottomon Empire for centuries.

Syria isn't a real country.  It's a set of imaginary lines drawn on a map by British and French diplomats, Sykes and Picot, during World War I.  It is a relic of 1916 European imperial and colonial post-war designs for territories belonging to the Ottoman Empire.

Sykes and Picot also gave us $h!hole$ like Lebanon, Palestine, and Iraq.  Jordan has been okay for a while.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 05:53:20 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Shouldn't the city coucillor in Australia be more concerned with aggressive koalas and rabid wombats?

Turkey is just taking back what had belonged to the Ottomon Empire for centuries.

Syria isn't a real country.  It's a set of imaginary lines drawn on a map by British and French diplomats, Sykes and Picot, during World War I.  It is a relic of 1916 European imperial and colonial post-war designs for territories belonging to the Ottoman Empire.

Sykes and Picot also gave us $h!hole$ like Lebanon, Palestine, and Iraq.  Jordan has been okay for a while.
Considering that there were many countries subjugated/enslaved by the Ottoman Empire, just how far do you think it's okay for them to go in retrieving territories/countries that they formerly held and enslaved for centuries?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
My GAF's about those shitholes expired a long time ago. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.