Author Topic: House Democrats tout bill to add four seats to Supreme Court  (Read 823 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 House Democrats tout bill to add four seats to Supreme Court
by Julia Mueller - 07/18/22 4:42 PM ET

A group of House Democrats called for legislation on Monday that would add four seats to the Supreme Court, lamenting a “ultra right-wing” branch that just overturned the Roe v. Wade decision on abortion rights.

The eight lawmakers cited recent SCOTUS decisions that rolled back Miranda rights, threw out a New York gun control law and allowed religion to surface in schools — as well as the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health decision that overturned the right to abortion in Roe — in saying there was a need to add new justices to the court.

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), the lead sponsor of the 2021 Judiciary Act, called the current makeup “a Supreme Court at crisis with itself and with our democracy,” where “basic freedoms are under assault” from the 6-3 conservative supermajority on the bench.

SCOTUS isn’t susceptible to the popular vote the way Congress is, Johnson said, and it’s used that to amass power. “It’s making decisions that usurp the power of the legislative and executive branches,” he said.

Facing Republican opposition and some Democratic skepticism, the bill has little chance of becoming law, but it illustrates the deep anger among progressive Democrats about the court’s direction under three conservative justices nominated by former President Trump: Justices Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett.

Those three justices have radically altered the direction of the court, which now has twice as many conservative justices as liberal ones. Kavanaugh replaced Justice Anthony Kennedy, a previous swing vote who had been nominated to the court by a Republican, while Coney Barrett replaced liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Adding to Democratic anger, a GOP Senate blocked former President Obama’s last nominee to the court, Merrick Garland, who is now the attorney general. Gorsuch ended up being nominated to the court in place of Garland.

Introduced last year, the Judiciary Act has not progressed in Congress.

Some Democrats wary of the proposal are concerned that expansion would open the court up for Republicans to push more of their nominees into the openings.

“The nightmare scenario of GOP court-packing is already upon us,” said Rep. Mondaire Jones (D-NY). “That’s how they got this far-right 6-3 majority in the first place.”

Lawmakers at Monday’s press conference, hosted by the Take Back the Court Action Fund, blamed Trump and the conservative legal movement for enabling a partisan court.

Republican politicians made controlling the judicial branch part of their platform, said Rep. Mark Takano (D-Calif.), adding that the court has “gone rogue” and “become a radical institution.”

The lawmakers also emphasized that the longevity of the life-long terms the sitting justices are now serving makes action to expand the court more urgent.

Of 72-year-old conservative Justice Samuel Alito, Johnson said: “You can see the gleam in his eye as he thinks about what he wants to do to decimate the rights of people and put us back in the Dark Ages.”

Trump-nominated Gorsuch, Coney-Barrett and Kavanaugh, in their 50s, are “gonna be there for a while,” Johnson said.

Congress has changed the number of seats on the nation’s highest court seven times in the nation’s history. The new proposal would bring the total seat count to thirteen, meaning a decision from the court would need a 7-6 majority, rather than the present 5-4.

Reps. Andy Levin (D-Mich.), Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-NJ), Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) were also at the conference, along with Sen. Ed Markey (D), who sponsored the bill in the Senate, and a handful of progressive activists.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3564588-house-democrats-offer-bill-to-add-four-seats-to-supreme-court/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: House Democrats tout bill to add four seats to Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 09:00:42 pm »
Do it, and we'll pack it so far you won't be able to do anything about it.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 12:26:56 am »
SCOTUS isn’t susceptible to the popular vote the way Congress is, Johnson said, and it’s used that to amass power. “It’s making decisions that usurp the power of the legislative and executive branches,” he said.

Statements like this should disqualify anyone from holding office.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 01:06:42 am »
Statements like this should disqualify anyone from holding office.

Isn't he the idiot who worried about Guam tipping over?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 01:41:11 am »
Isn't he the idiot who worried about Guam tipping over?

? What?  Guam didn't tip over?   ****drummer
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 09:58:46 am »
SCOTUS isn’t susceptible to the popular vote the way Congress is, Johnson said, and it’s used that to amass power. “It’s making decisions that usurp the power of the legislative and executive branches,”

Funny, I was taught it was part of the "checks and balances" built into our form of government.

Silly me.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.