Author Topic: F-117 Nighthawk: The Story Of The First Stealth ‘Fighter’  (Read 325 times)

rebewranger

F-117 Nighthawk: The Story Of The First Stealth ‘Fighter’

ByChristian OrrPublished9 hours ago

When the Pentagon officially acknowledged the existence of the F-117 Nighthawk stealth “fighter” back in November 1988, it finally ended years of speculation on the part of the mainstream media (MSM) and the general public alike. (I use quote marks around “fighter” because the word is a misnomer in this instance, which I shall elaborate upon shortly). The MSM’s speculation hit a fever pitch after one of the then-still-secret planes crashed near Bakersfield, California in July 1986. One of the more creative forms of public imagination about the warplane manifested itself in the form of the Testor’s so-called “F-19 Stealth Fighter” 1:48 scale plastic model kit, which supplanted AMT’s U.S.S. Enterprise as the best-selling model kit of all time.

Shortly after the official Defense Department disclosure of the plane’s existence, along came humorous t-shirts sarcastically proclaiming the F-117A to be “The U.S. Air Force’s Best Kept Secret.” (At least one of my high school buddies had one of these shirts). Well, now that the proverbial cat has been out of the bag for 33 years (boy, time sure does fly, albeit not so stealthily), let’s take a look back at the history of this remarkable bomber, er, so-called “fighter.”

Stealthy Skunks Slink Secretly Skyward

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/07/f-117-nighthawk-the-story-of-the-first-stealth-fighter/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 11:48:47 am by rangerrebew »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: F-117 Nighthawk: The Story Of The First Stealth ‘Fighter’
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 12:35:36 am »
I suppose for the unititiated, this could be considered a "good" introduction...however, being quite initiated, having worked the platform for ~14 years I'll correct Mr. Orr on a couple of items.  Credibility lacking due to amateurish research.

"...capable of carrying 2,000 pounds (910 kilograms) worth of laser-guided “smart” bombs..."
The aircraft could carry 2 2,000 pound class weapons for a total of 4,000+ lbs. 

"Indeed, the plane was nicknamed “Wobblin’ Goblin” in some quarters due to its alleged instability at low speeds, although some of its pilots have countered that the sobriquet was undeserved.Other unflattering nicknames have included “Hopeless Diamond,” “Roach” and “Stinkbug.”

"Wobblin Goblin", used very briefly in the beginning of the program due to early flight control problems and small verticals, all fixed, but still used to smear the aircraft.  Subsequently, any pilot of the F117 would state that she flew as well as any other conventional aircraft.

"Hopeless Diamond refers to the geometric shapes used and that it was considered "hopeless" to get the shape to fly...not ever a "nickname".

"Roach", more like "cockroach" when viewed from the rear...a euphemism used by many.

"Stinkbug", never heard it called that.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.